Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at about 450 rounds the peening problem come to visit in a catastrophic manner this afternoon at the range when the spring popped out at the 12th round fired. This is a real bummer, I had just give the gun a full cleaning a few days ago and did the inspection of the slide and saw no evidence of peening even though the hole had been taper drilled. I will call customer service tomorrow to check on my options in getting this resolved. The SN# is J46XX.
This is my primary carry gun and has never give me a single problem, no FTF, no FTE, etc. Guess I will go tomorrow and see what I can come up with a IWB holster for my P-11. :-/

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
radio_tek said:
... the spring popped out at the 12th round fired... I had just give the gun a full cleaning a few days ago and did the inspection of the slide and saw no evidence of peening even though the hole had been taper drilled.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spring popping out with NO eidence of peening first?. That is alarming.

Has this happened before?

So far, I think I've read only of springs popping out of peened slides. At least that way you get some warning and can take whatever steps you feel are necessary.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Re: POP goes the spring....e

If the 0.25 dia tappered is deep enough to make the 0.14" dia hole for the rod larger, then the inner spring can come through without showing any peening. here is a repeat of old post about how to measure the clearance around the rod.

Here is a way to check the clearance between the rod and the hole

cut a piece of paper in a small triangle, one sides 1 1/2" long and the other 3"

Wrap paper around the rod so that a point is at the end and the paper overlaps toward the middle

now start the rod from the front of the slide and carefully start the tip of paper. I can get mine to slide paper through but it stops just before the paper overlaps.

this indicates I only have 0.005" clearance.

the inner spring wire diameter is 0.019"

If you can get 4 wraps of paper (0.020" clearance) or more, the inner spring can go through

I would worry if I got 3 wraps though

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Re: POP goes the spring....e

JFB said:
cut a piece of paper in a small triangle,  one sides 1 1/2" long and the other 3"  

Wrap paper around the rod so that a point is at the end and the paper overlaps toward the middle  
I may not know micrometers like you geeks but I do know paper. Sorry, but this suggestion is like telling you all to measure these measurements with a ruler! What KIND of paper? What weight? It makes a HUGE difference as I have some 18 lb paper that I can get 4 wraps on but some 24 lb that 2 is scrunching it. My 24 lb bleached white gets 3 rounds but my 24 lb cotton fiber letterhead only 2...

-Scott

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Sorry about not providing all the info needed. I just have 24# for the printer and was using it. But I guess the more common printer paper is 18# and it will make a differance

18# about 0.0035" thus 4 wraps would be 0.014
24#cotton bond about 0.005 thus 2 wraps would be 0.010
Here is aPaper caliper chart page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.