Featured Polymer top Cover?

Discussion in 'RFB High Efficiency Rifle' started by odinforever2000, Apr 15, 2018 at 1:24 AM.

Tags:
  1. odinforever2000

odinforever2000 Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Im just wondering if top cover could be made of some sort of polymer with some metal inserts..I cant find a .308 bull pup that weights less than the RFB (Several out or upcoming weigh more LOL)...just thinking this might be a way to remove 1/2 lb off of the rifle..

What do ya'll think?

SAS MAYHEM likes this.
  2. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    That part is not only the rear spine of the rifle that holds everything together and transmits the recoil from the barrel group to the butt, it is also one of the layers of metal that separates a breach 'kaboom' from your face:
    The .308 round has great power compared to the AK or AR rounds and can make for a very nasty kaboom.
    By the time you put enough metal inserts in plastic to duplicate this, the part would weigh the same or more.
    This is probably one reason other .308 bull pups weigh more than the RFB.
    They can't use Kelgren's design because of the patent.
    9-years later, the RFB is still in a league of it's own:D.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    850sub and SAS MAYHEM like this.

3. ronmar

ronmar Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    What blake said! The only one I have ever heard of, went downward thru the magazine, and was mostly a non injury event for the shooter... I will keep my 2 layers of steel thankyou...

850sub and SAS MAYHEM like this.
  4. TNC

TNC Active Member

Jul 17, 2015
    texas
    You scaredy pants guys!...LOL!

Yes, I agree that small weight penalty is one area where some added protection is well worth the downside. Instead of polymer, I'm sure there's a combination of Kevlar and carbon fiber that could provide equal protection at that location for less weight, but then you're getting into expense that just doesn't justify the effort.

BlakeHanson likes this.