Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just kinda curious. Do any of you hunters shoot with gloves on? In cold weather I could see that it might give better feel than numb fingers, but a warm glove can be pulled off just before shooting also. I see pics of our GI's with gloves on. I can think of many reasons they might (scrap protection, chemical proofing, thermal camofloging) but I don't know what thier reseason is. But the fact that they do implies that good shooting can be performed with gloves.
Looking forward to your thougts,
Thanks,
Lop

·
Registered
944 Posts
I tend to take a few steps than stop and look around so if I am going to have a shot it usually isn't a sit and watch it and have time to remove gloves. If it's cold I am probably wearing gloves but I know in advance that my finger will fit on the trigger if needed.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Light insulated gloves until it gets down into the 20s, then glove-mitt.

Better to be comfortable than optimum accuracy for relatively short-range deer hunting.  You don't want a hair trigger with gloves.

Actually the bigger concern is getting the safety off with the gloves (Savage shotgun). I'm more likely to pull the glove off to get the safety off.

G2S

·
Registered
387 Posts
I usually start out with gloves on both hands for the cold 4wheeler ride, but as soon as that's parked my right glove comes off for shooting.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I shoot with thick insulated gloves on and it doesn't seem to affect my accuracy any. Cold fingers would though. Plus you don't want to stick cold hands up inside a deer's gut and get that burning sensation that comes from cold digits warming up too quickly. I've made shots over 300yds with heavy gloves on and they've turned out just fine. Maybe try it at the range first and see if you like shooting that way.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
torrent said:
I shoot with thick insulated gloves on and it doesn't seem to affect my accuracy any.  Cold fingers would though.  Plus you don't want to stick cold hands up inside a deer's gut and get that burning sensation that comes from cold digits warming up too quickly.  I've made shots over 300yds with heavy gloves on and they've turned out just fine.  Maybe try it at the range first and see if you like shooting that way.
I guess that could add to the "suprize break" of the shot. ;)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Depends on the type of hunting I'm doing.

Pheasant - Thin leather batting gloves, some protection from bushes and still lots of feel for what your doing.

Archery - Thin nylon with the little rubber dots for grip at least. If it's cold I go to the glove mittens.

If I'm still hunting I like to go with the batting gloves. Your moving enough you don't get to cold, and the gloves do wonders to stop any wind that quickly gives me cold hands. If sitting I go with the glove mittens and the hot hands packet style of hand warmers, or the hand warmer packets and one of the hand muffs you wear around your waist.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
no gloves until i get cold. then i put on as heavy as needed for the weather conditions. which means THICK for when it's cold out. and i seem to shoot ok with them, too. if i have time i'll pull the right one off. had a pair of them glove mitts and they did NOT work, and in a pinch you can't just grab your gun and "bang." i got lucky the first deer i shot was a fawn. i fought those damm things until i finally grabbed it with my teeth to get my fingers free and shoot my deer. (i was walking back to the house and stumbled on several of them.).

·
Registered
86 Posts
As Zeke said, depends on the hunting, for turkey hunting I have light weight camo gloves or if the weather is cold I have the same thing in a thinsulate. Coyotes seem to like my camo gloves and they're not particular as to whether they're light or heavy weight. ;D For deer hunting, anything that will keep me warm.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Just depends if i can i'll slip one off. Unless it just really cold i'll have the thumb and trigger finger cut off my glove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[highlight]I see pics of our GI's with gloves on.[/highlight]

That's because we have to. It's part of our PPE (personal protective equipment). They don't interfere much with shooting, only most everything else; I must have had 5 extra left handed gloves by the time I left the beach.

As for hunting, most of the time I don't have much of a choice in northern MN.

·
Registered
300 Posts
billjohnso20 said:
I don't wear gloves. I wear glomitts. They're warmer than gloves but fold back out of the way for shooting.
Dittos - except warmer weather I wear light weight camo [ cheap ones from Wally world with the little rubber bumps on them] with the Index finger and thumb cut off

1 - 20 of 35 Posts