Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt want to start a new thread on this but I couldnt find it anywhere.

What is the best and easiest way for a very VERY novice person to polish the barrel and feed ramp?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I don't have a dremmel, or similar power tool, so for me, I just used a 'Scrubby' sponge with Soft Scrub. I started with a dry (but pliable) sponge, to work the grit in, then finished up with a moist sponge.

It doesn't have a mirror finish, but it does glint in the sunshine. :)

The Fluff & Buff threads recommend a High Grit (600 or higher?) sandpaper for he ramp. Spool it around a pencil or pen and work it in the direction the bullet will feed into the chamber. If you polish/smooth the chamber, use an in & out sanding (again... Direction of travel), not a twisting motion.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
there are a lot of differnt ways ,but it is much easyer to have a buffing wheel start with 400 wet and dry move up to 600 then to 1200 then buff with a compound

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually polish the feed ramps of all my pistols, is there a reason to polish the barrel?
thanks

Thom

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
If you pistol shooting and no feeding problems Then no need to polish Its working leave it be.

All this might have been needed years ago but today I think a waste of effort . 99% of pistols work just fine from factory. If doesn't return for warranty

Non of my 5 KelTec's have required 1 thing other than cleaned and lubed . When I removed from box. Heck I didn't even clean them till 50 rounds down range just lubed .

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
If you pistol shooting and no feeding problems Then no need to polish Its working leave it be.

All this might have been needed years ago but today I think a waste of effort . 99% of pistols work just fine from factory. If doesn't return for warranty

Non of my 5 KelTec's have required 1 thing other than cleaned and lubed . When I removed from box. Heck I didn't even clean them till 50 rounds down range just lubed .
Wow... I hope You posted this from a phone... Did you? :D

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I found that wrapping the sanpaper around a pencil works well. I use about the same grit as recomended but I add a 1000, 1500,2000 and 3000 grit to the process.

I use to polish wheels and axles for my sons pinewood derby cars , err, I mean uh , Help my sons polish there wheels and axles for pinewood derby LOL.

I had the fine grade sand paper left over along with some Flitz and I can usually get a mirror finish out of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used 320 and 400 (because that's what I had) and it came out great. Wish I would have taken before and after photos. Looks and feels nice. Haven't been to the range since I did it the other day. Will put my efforts to the test Thursday.

MJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts