Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK...I love my PMR-30 despite it's many quirks...

I've had my buffer melt after about 1000 rounds, I've had my assembly pin break in half after about 1500 rounds, and I've had my front sight fly off after about 1800 rounds.

No worries, Kel-Tec customer service has been great throughout.

The PMR is just so much fun to shoot, I don't mind dealing with these hiccups.

However, the primary problem that I have at the range is failure to feed. I've had the best success with CCI 40 gr cheapo stuff from Wal-Mart (both FMJ & JHP). The Hornaday Critical Defense were horrible (FTF, FTE out the wazooo). The Speer Gold Dots were better, but still a few more FTF than the cheap CCI stuff.

Again, despite my problems with the Hornaday, the main problem that I'm having is failure to feed. I've read about the "limp wristing" stuff and made a concerted effort during my last range trip to keep my wrist stiff. If anything, my results with the Gold Dots was worse.

I do my best to be very careful when loading the magazines to make sure that the rounds are set properly.

I have noticed that my feed ramp is a little rough. Far from the almost mirror smooth finish on my other pistols. But, since the ramp is polymer, I've been hesitant to try to polish it.

Has anyone seen improved reliability after polishing their ramp?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to polish the ramp without damaging the polymer?

Pictures of the ramp are attached.

It, perhaps doesn't come across well in pictures, but that raised dot in the middle of the ramp is raised up from the rest of the surface. I can feel it with my finger and can catch my fingernail on it if I run it up the ramp.

Many Thanks

John

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have read many stories about folks sending their PMR-30 back to the factory for service, and they say, that part of the apparently standard report that comes back with it, includes "polish feed ramp". I would just send it in for service and let them diagnose the problem and fix it. If you start working on the weapon yourself, Kel-Tec might have a valid reason to void the warranty. . . . . Just my two cents.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes me sad, because that means that I'll be unable to shoot my sweet, sweet PMR for some time...

Thanks for your response.

Perhaps that would be best, but I'd also like to hear if there were any DIY types out there that could give me some advice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am a DIY type. for years I've made my own parts for the PMR's older brother, the Grendel P-30. I have done this because there was no other choice. I've used a drill, a dremel tool, and jewelers files to make fireing pins, extractors. I used primative tools just to see if it were possible, just incase SHTF. I've polished many feed ramps, STEEL ramps. By trade I am a millwright and work on complex machinery, and I've seen many times when an OEM voided a warranty because of something like this. Including warranty of completely unassociated problems. Best of luck with your issues!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I didn't mean to say "DIY types" (therefore, implying that you were not).

I was looking to see if anyone else had experienced this specific problem with their PMR-30, and if so, did polishing the feed ramp help. Further, did these other PMR-30 owners polish the ramp themselves, did they send the pistol back for service, did either of these actions help?

If they did polish the ramp themselves, how did they do it?

Any success, or failure stories?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Ok, I'll bite here..I did polish my feed ramp, but not due to problems feeding...I did it just because..
I took a small cloth buffing wheel with a dremmel to it..a little automotive polishing compound on it.
If I had YOUR ramp on my gun I wouldn't hesitate to remove that "bump" with a needle file, emory board or something similar and then polish the whole thing..but thats just my

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't take it like that DR WAN. I realize you don't know me, or my backround. I was just trying to say how fortunate we are as PMR owners to be able to send the firearm to the factory and say "It has issues, fix it" Even though the same man designed both the PMR and Grendel, P-30 owners don't have that luxury. If I had all the issues you have seen with yours I would send it home, however, I do have 2 and also 5 similar p-30's.
I bought an Excel arms MP-22 about a year ago, FTE's, And FTF's were the norm. After a trip home it has functioned flawlessly for 1000 rnds. Ruger will not service my 10/22 WMR. Seems to be a theme with this cartridge. I'm afraid sooner or later some yahoo wll start making .17HMR barrels for the PMR and mess this up as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DrWan
I think that "raised area" on the ramp is on ALL PMRs , mine also has it.See Pix. (and the pix. is before cleaning and after firing only 160 rounds of CCI FMJs in a totally new gun). With only one Fail to Feed out of the 160 rounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
let ALL of us know if you find any real snap caps for the .22mag, (i haven't found any yet, may have to make some). Also, i believe in the PMR manual, they suggest NOT dry firing the gun and thus until snap caps are found and put in.

keep us posted

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
let ALL of us know if you find any real snap caps for the .22mag, (i haven't found any yet, may have to make some). Also, i believe in the PMR manual, they suggest NOT dry firing the gun and thus until snap caps are found and put in.

keep us posted
I have also looked..only found dummy rounds..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply 007.

I guess that it's reassuring that your ramp looks the same as mine, but it still seems that it would be better if it were more smooth.

Can any other PMR-30 owners check out their ramps and see if they look similar to ours?

I'm debating on smoothing it myself (cheap, but may void warranty, get to keep my gun), having a local gunsmith do it (inexpensive, may void warranty, get to keep my gun), and shipping it to Kel-Tec (not cheap, won't void warranty, gun will be gone for some time).

I shoot my PMR-30 about once a week or more. Despite the occasional FTF, the gun is still a joy to shoot. I'd prefer to be without it for a short amount of time, but if it would function better then that would be even more fun!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Shot my PMR last night,cleaned it this morning..made it a point to look at my ramp and no... mine did not have that mark/bump.
Steal one of the wifes emory boards and file it down..its only plastic..

·
Grand Poobah
1,367 Posts
Thanks for the reply 007.

I guess that it's reassuring that your ramp looks the same as mine, but it still seems that it would be better if it were more smooth.

Can any other PMR-30 owners check out their ramps and see if they look similar to ours?

I'm debating on smoothing it myself (cheap, but may void warranty, get to keep my gun), having a local gunsmith do it (inexpensive, may void warranty, get to keep my gun), and shipping it to Kel-Tec (not cheap, won't void warranty, gun will be gone for some time).

I shoot my PMR-30 about once a week or more. Despite the occasional FTF, the gun is still a joy to shoot. I'd prefer to be without it for a short amount of time, but if it would function better then that would be even more fun!
Mine has that little bump too, but it feeds well. The only exception has been the Winchester hollow points with the exposed lead, while chambering the first round from the magazine. When firing, it has fed them flawlessly. I can't speak for Kel Tec, but from my experience, they don't strike me as the kind of company that is anxious to void peoples' warranties. A little judicious work with a nail file to remove that bump probably won't void your warranty, just don't go overboard and change the shape of the ramp. The ramp looks like a replaceable part and most Kel Tec parts aren't terribly expensive.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post
I just join today too, but I have had mine for two years
And shot it twice with every type and almost every round failing to feed!
But I did this little buff on the ramp and on the barrel ramp and I think it may have fixed it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I buffed mine out too and works great most of the time! I had issues when I added a Burris red dot and if you over tighten the mount you can prevent the firing pin from retracting! This causes the type of failure where you don't feed and the round below in the mag can get a dent!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts