Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys ever practice point shooting with the P3AT? My experience has shown it have better than average point shooting ergonomics at 5-7 yards by keeping all 7 shots in CM of a B-27 Target.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, I find the 3at difficult to transition to after shooting a j frame or Glock. While the latter guns require a more natural downward wrist lock, the 3at needs the opposite, a more upward wrist position.

G

·
a996hawk said:
Any of you guys ever practice point shooting with the P3AT?  My experience has shown it have better than average point shooting ergonomics at 5-7 yards by keeping all 7 shots in CM of a B-27 Target.
at close range that is the only way to shoot, You can be extremely accurate with point shooting . Skeet shooters do it all the time. Also practice makes perfect ;D

·
Registered
121 Posts
As a matter of fact, yes.

As with anything, practice is necessary. I used a large target at close range to see where my shots were going vs where I thought they would go.

I found that I could aquire aimed shots faster after practicing point and shoot.

I was just telling someone that most likely I would make my first shot in a self defense situation a point and shoot not an aimed shot. You can save seconds and follow up quickly with an aimed shot.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
When you consider that most encounters take place in poor light, that once you produce your gun there is a high probability that both you and the BG will be moving, and that the sights on the AT are minimal, point shooting at close range is probably your best bet and is what the gun is designed for. As Packer suggested though I also practice with the sights at longer ranges.

(And I also carry a more powerful gun whenever I can.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No doubt....most guns have sights for that matter. Things is most pocket SD guns are used up close and personal where sights many times don't become a factor. Just wanted to see how many folks practice for those scenarios and whether I was the only one that finds my little P3AT to be adept at getting the job done should such a situation arise.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
gau5gunner said:
Actually, I find the 3at difficult to transition to after shooting a j frame or Glock. While the latter guns require a more natural downward wrist lock, the 3at needs the opposite, a more upward wrist position.
I agree. If I put my wrist in what I would consider a natural position for shooting, the P3AT is always pointing down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're all built differently. I have large hands and point shoot well with my pocket pistols & revolvers. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a significant chance that when the situation arises you may not be able to get into a "natural" shooting position. Looking at it that way you see that your hand/arm/wrist may be in a weird position...much less comfortable than that that nice two handed grip we all take at the range :) Spend time watching some of the actual police shootouts taken from dash cams and you'll notice most take place in the blink of an eye. Often times the good guys only have time to quickly return fire while moving to cover. You'll also notice most of those quick return shots are un-aimed....of course many would never admit to that :) Just my two cents..........

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you want a quick and reliable defense to close in attacks you gotta have fluid and reliable point shooting down.

I primarily use Quick Kill and and some Fairbain-Sykes techniques shooting from retention, 1/2 hip, 3/4 hip and the extended QK position (1 and 2 hands), movement, turrets etc. Also a little front sight press and full sighted fire.

90% or so of practice is from 0 to 5 yards and most of that within 10 feet but out to 45 ft for a mag or two. Mostly single handed from the draw firing 1-4 shot strings at human type targets and sometimes up to 3 spread out reaction targets.

For me this is far more real AND fun that shooting at black dots.

Currently I am more reliable and accurate with the recently retired J Frame but the 380 is coming along.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.