point shooting low! i need tips

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ScatMelee, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    i practice mostly point shooting with this gun because, the sights are almost useless to me and i dont like lasers.  my shots are pretty consistently within a 10" group at 10' - 25'.  my problem is that my group is always low, almost the pelvic region when i'm further out.  when i hold the gun, i noticed it has a natural downward point.  does anybody else have this problem?  has anybody figured out a way to correct this with some fancy grip attachment, or easy homemade fix?

2. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Point-shooting 10" groups at 25 feet sounds great to me--and I'd bet, most likely, 7 rounds in the pelvis will slow down an attacker enough for you and others to get away. I only point shoot practice at about arms-length to 4 feet (though I do a variation of it at 3-6 feet, just using the front sight a bit).

I guess you could try to get some of those pads they sell on here somewhere and add two to the lower-back of the grip to build up the handle back there and change the angle a bit upwards. Other than that it seems like practice and more practice might change your muscle memory for aiming the P3AT. Maybe it's just me, but 25 feet is a long way off to not even try to line up your almost-impossible-to-see sights...so maybe you could try some of the day-glow paint to help with the sights. I actually like using the laser to practice point shooting--I aim, then check it with the laser, then repeat, over and over.

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    What is your aim point? Adjust it up ( Kentucky windage) to compensate

4. kaltectom

kaltectom New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Go to this site..... http://reloadbench.com/pdf.html
    Scroll down about half way and you will find a "target" that indicates, based on where you hit, what you might do to correct the shot.

PS. I sometimes print other targets and go to Office Depot to have them run me 50 or so. This is cheaper than buying them.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Yes. When I point-shoot the gun naturally points about 12" low and 4" left.

The ArmaLaser pretty much solved the problem for me, but evi1joe's suggestion of building up the lower portion of the grip may work. This would in essence, change the grip angle to make the muzzle point upward more.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm sorry, I just have to bite. Point higher?!?

-Scott

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry, I just have to bite.  Point higher?!?

-Scott
    [/quote]

I, on the other hand, managed to resist the temptation. ;)

8. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
  9. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    point higher... genius! why didn't i think of that myself?  oh, i remember now.  because in the heat of the moment, i probably won't remember to compensate my aim.  thanks to all who have something useful to contribute, and thanks to the morons for raising their hands so we know who they are! ;)

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Geez Burley, I guess we have been revealed for what we are...   :eek:

And SM - in the heat of battle you won't remember anything. You will do whatever you trained to do, over and over and over again.

-Scott

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Wasn't there a guy that glued a counter top "L" to the frame, then changed his grip so that index was along that "L" and used middle finger to pull trigger.

PS...Just wish I had posted my original though when I first read so I could raise my hand with friends ;D

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

12. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Me toooo.... [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] I haven't been called a moron for at least a couple of hours.

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Me toooo.... [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] I haven't been called a moron for at least a couple of hours.
    [/quote]

and it feels SO good when done by a newbie!

-Scott

PS - Hey SM - don't let us play too hard with ya, but your question just invited the obvious answer and not everyone might take your "moron" comment in a positive light, but we're all good! ;D ;D ;D

14. CC_Dave

CC_Dave New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    I personally thimk that if I were to get shot 3-4 time in the "pelvis area"... I would not feel like harassing anyone :eek:

just a thought... ;)

15. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm thinking that the long stiff pull and final squeeze at the break are causing the shots to go low. I don't think it is an inherent issue with the gun. I have notice that I have to focus on keeping on target even when shooting with two hands. Point shooting will make it even harder to keep on target - at least with the KT's. More rounds down range will probably help, but I ordered an ArmaLaser yesterday to help me out.

16. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    This post triggered a serious suggestion.  I have found that I point shoot these little guys best if I don't try & squeeeeze my shots.  I just give it a firm, smooth, rather quick pull thru.  Not a jerk but a smooth pull thru.  When I try & stage the trigger just before the break I get the shakes and/or pull down & to the right.

However if you are hitting COM at bad breath range to 20 feet & pelvis at distances past that, IMO you are doing just fine.

17. Geez Scott... It is no wonder you only have one friend!

How about some light reading?

[​IMG]

;) ;D ;)

Scatt.. You just hang in here, this really is a great group of guys.  (A a few gals!) Some times it takes awhile to figure out that some of us like to goof around abit.

Mitch.... Who knows Scott knows that I know he was kidding and also knows that Scott knows I am kidding, but not sure if Scatt (not to be confused with Scott) knows who knows that the others know.  But what the heck do I know?

18. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    My personal experience and ideas...

I have an ArmaLaser on my P3-AT and the ArmaLaser is sighted in. When I draw and point "naturally" the red dot is about 12" low and about 4" left.

This means to me that the grip angle on the P3-AT for my "natural pointing" is not correct.

There are probably many ways to overcome this;
    One may be to train my pointing until my "natural" point is the same as the P3-AT's grip angle.
    Another may be to modify the grip angle on the gun.
    Another may be to naturally point, then modify the angle a bit and hope it's about right.
    There may be even more options.

At any rate, all of the options have their pros and cons, and all require changing something. It's just a choice of what you want to change.

Personally, I choose to put the red dot on the target and fire! :D

Bobo

19. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I noticed that too.
    Try bending at the knees making yourself about 8-10'' shorter.
    You natually aim higher, or at least I do and you make yourself a smaller target ;)

It's something you have to practice over and over the same goes for moving and shooting.

Or you could just aim higher ;D

20. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    sorry if i offended anybody with the "M" word.  i was excited to see that people responded to my question so quickly, but when i read the replies, i was disappointed to find three wise cracks in a row instead of the ktog wisdom i am accustomed to.  i got a little bent and i just had to bite back!  ok, i'll admit it... i like to laugh too ::), i even laughed at those comments!  i love this forum because of the incredible amount of good information on it, and because every member seems well grounded and resilient.  don't let a crab like me spoil the fun, but please, with sugar on top, give me a little advice when you take a jab or else it feels like you're just throwing punches.  or maybe i'm just a big puss!