Pocket or IWB?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by usdm, Jan 8, 2009.

1. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    What do you guys prefer?

I have a Grandfather Oaks kydex pocket holster and it looks like I have a gun in my pocket. :)
    It also takes up alot of my pocket space.

So I got the Galco USA, the gun disappears and I can still tuck a shirt in. I really like this holster, but I feel it doesn't have enough retention.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small tuckable holster that has decent retention.

I'm really not looking to spend another $50-60 unless I know its what I'm looking for.

2. Pistol_Packin_Pete

Pistol_Packin_Pete New Member

Dec 27, 2008

I have one of these:  http://www.activeprogear.com/wallet_holster.html
    [​IMG]

And one of these:  http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket_wallet_holster.html
    [​IMG]

You can't see any printing whatsoever and I know it's secure.  No one will know it's there without a metal detector or a pat-down.

A warning:  The Active Pro Gear guys are backwards on their left/right philosophy.  Look at their pictures of the guy drawing the weapon before you order. Both holsters shown are right handed. See what I mean? ;D

3. red71

red71 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I got caught on A backward wallet holster also, I shifted it to the left pocket and just reach A little farther :)
    The Activeprogear looks nice I just ordered one.

4. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    The whole idea of a pocket pistol is to slip it in a pocket or perhaps clip it on someplace. In most clothing you can carry something more effective if you're going all the way to IWB carry. I usually slip one into the watch pocket of my jeans. Have one with you when shopping for jeans and look around some. There really are some that will do this. Otherwise a DeSantis pocket holster will do nicely in many pants. Keeping your keys in front of it help break up the image.

5. Could bring VERY BAD ju-ju.

Gun in pocket + keys in pocket = keys tangled up in trigger = additional hole in one body part I would rather have just one hole.

When I pocket cary-  it is with a sturdy holster that protects the trigger.......and NOTHING but the holster and gun go in that pocket.
    I have one of these FINE K&D Pocket holsters

http://kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.php

But I usually wear a K&D IWB .......and it is worth every nickle I paid for it.

http://kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.php

Kevin is an excellent craftsman------and a fine gentleman to deal with.

If you feel lucky......look here for a chance to win a free K&D pocket holster

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231247720

6. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
  7. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Nope! I do the "keys" thing with both of these pocket puppies. They go in front of the holster in the lower right part of my right pocket. They NEVER come in contact with the gun or trigger. Works just fine. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I carry my P3AT in the Galco U.S.A. as well and couldn't be happier with it.  I've never had any retention issues when carrying with it.  I carry daily so it's seen a lot of use.   ;D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. john1

john1 New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Pistol packin pete- I too have one of the black pocketholsters and its very well made, but if used in the front pocket with the flap it's too bulky. Taking the flap off in the front it hides well but the holster comes out with the gun. I'm hoping some wear will help things. John

10. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster and i absolutely LOVE it.

Now i need to find something to carry a couple extra magazines on my weak side....... any suggestions? I don't even like carrying my cell phone or keys in my pockets so i need to find an alternative to carrying magazines in my pockets.

11. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Just seems silly carrying something that small IWB. If I'm going to carry that way, I can can a Glock 19 just a easily and often do.

12. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008

I Agree with you somewhat..... i often think about how silly it is to carry my P3AT IWB but like i said, i HATE having things in my pockets..... i tend to wear skinny/tight fitting jeans and T's and couldn't comfortably pocket carry. IWB is very comfy to me and it suits me perfectly. A block 19 is a whole different ball game and i could not carry it as comfortably IWB. Although i have had my eye on a Glock 26 for a bit now but unfortunately it's the same width as a 19.... and for that reason, the PF9 is looking mighty good ;D

I'm glad there are gun/holster combos out there to fit everyones style/needs!

13. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Drop the euro-trash look. ;)

14. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I've carried a G19 in a CTAC slide model and added a G26 about a year ago. The G26 is my daily carry now.

Picked up a P3AT and cant find a comfortable carry method. I run and it swings in my pocket, I IWB it and the thing feels like it'll pop out of the holster. I might belly band it, but that seems overkill.

15. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Drop the euro-trash look.  ;)[/quote]

HAHA i was waiting for that! ;D

16. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I normaly carry a GP101 on my right side in a owb. Should I look at something like that for my p3, because that is how I have trained myself or should I try a pocket holster?

17. JB

JB Guest

I disagree.  I have been pocket carrying the P3AT, even when it is the only firearm I have on me, but plan to get or make a OWB holster for my when my P3AT is my primary (IWB carry will not work for me, period.)  I don't wear tight jeans.  In fact, I generally wear Docker's style pleated front pants but still can't rapidly present a weapon from my pocket - not even the P3AT and not even before I added material to slightly thicken/pad the grip and a finger grip extension.  If I am sitting down, forget getting to it with anything approaching quickness.  My hands are just too wide to quickly get in and out of a pocket (hand size/width is also why I needed to add to the grip material, etc. in the first place.)

In weather that is cool enough to wear an extra 'layer', I can easily conceal my P-11 or my .357 Magnum in an OWB holster.  However, even in winter (in East TN) there are days when extra layers are uncomfortable.  In summer, it's short-sleeved shirts, often T-shirts, and shorts.  Would be pretty hard to conceal the P-11 or the .357 with that attire, but the P3AT is small enough that it would wear comfortably OWB and be easily concealed even under just a t-shirt.  Besides that, I don't like having a lot of stuff in my pockets, either, and having to cram the cellphone, pocket knife and anything else I need to carry into my other pocket is a PITA.  I will not carry in my back pocket any more than I would carry SOB - I don't like the idea of having my gun behind my back.  So, I think the solution for me is an OWB holster.  The P3AT will still be smaller and lighter than any other reasonably effective weapon I could carry.  I'll still pocket carry some when belt carry absolutely will not work and when the P3AT is teh BUG but honestly the more I carry the more I feel like (in my particular situation, with my body type, hand size, etc.) that carrying a primary weapon in my pocket is kind of like stashing my car's brake pedal in the trunk.  Sure, it's there if I need it but could I really get to it quickly and easily enough for it to do me any good?  

18. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Can you have your hand on your brake pedal as you stroll through less than desirable areas? Half drawn and ready to go in an instant with no one else being the wiser? ;)

19. ColeSpeed

ColeSpeed New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Can you have your hand on your brake pedal as you stroll through less than desirable areas?  Half drawn and ready to go in an instant with no one else being the wiser?  ;)[/quote]

This is the greatest advantage I have with pocket carry; Hand in pocket ready at a moments notice. While seated does not provide the same readiness from the front pocket it does when carrying in the back. Since I use a holster that is easily moved from front to back the concern is solved.

Tod

20. JB

JB Guest

Can you have your hand on your brake pedal as you stroll through less than desirable areas?  Half drawn and ready to go in an instant with no one else being the wiser?  ;)[/quote]

I don't think you get what I am saying, so I am probably not explaining it clearly - my hands don't fit in pockets very well.  Honestly, it would be just as fast - and probably faster - for me to have the P3AT in a holster beneath a T-shirt with my hand in position to slide under the shirt and present the weapon.  Heck, there is no requirement for concealment in TN, so if I know I will be in an area that 'less than desirable' I'll go ahead and tuck the tail of the T-shirt behind the gun and keep my hand beside it.  Truthfully, as small as the P3AT is, it would still probably be hard to see, especially since my P3AT is blued/black and any holster I choose or build will also be black or dark colored (so no 'flashy bits' to draw attention) and that will be a whole lot faster than pocket draw for me, even from a half drawn position.  Therefore, the 'in pocket and half drawn' idea doesn't impact my decision, much.

Further, I think the first thing I should do in the interests of self defense is to try and be aware and avoid such areas, as much as possible, to begin with.  I realize that this is not always possible, so my second response would be that I should plan ahead.  If I am going to be somewhere that I feel is that 'undesirable' then the P3AT won't be my primary, anyway.  It will, then, be in my pocket - as a BUG because, if there is that great a risk, I want more 'oomph' than the .380 can give, anyway.  Even in warm weather, if I know that I'll be somewhere that the risk factor is greater, I'll just wear a T-shirt under an unbuttoned, lightweight, short sleeve shirt which I know (from experience) will allow me to conceal the .357 or the P11 and be many times faster to present (for me) than pocket carrying anything.  As I said above, even that may be a little too warm for complete comfort in the hottest part of the summer but, used as an occasional solution to specific situations, it would still be better than relying on a pocket-carried P3AT as my primary.

Please understand, I am not saying that everyone should adopt my philosophy nor am I trying to talk you out of pocket carry.  I'm simply saying that it is not 'silly' to belt carry a P3AT instead of pocket carrying it.  If you like pocket carry and it works for you, great, but I think we all have to decide what we THINK will work best for each of us, as individuals, in our own situations (and hope we never have to test our personal theories.)