Pocket holster ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jan 7, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I am looking for a THIN pocket holster; those I have looked at are thick; one of the reasons I got the P3AT is that my Glock is thick.
    Maybe I should carry it in a silk handkerchief as it was done 100 years ago; I have an old encyclopedia (early 1900s) that show the proper way of folding it.

Seriously, I tried to search, got so many results, I figured I should tap into the vast collective knowledge of this forum.

As I have 3 large boxes of holsters I don't like anymore, I am not really eager to start a 4th box.
    I am getting enough sarcasm from my wife; years ago she picked a holster for her in one of these bins at a gun shop for $5 and still likes it; it was actually a leather Bianchi with a couple of scratches.

I want something that is not going to make a small pistol bulky like these padded nylon things.

Thanks.

2. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I carry my P-3AT in a www.pocketholsters.com pocket holster with the wallet backer in my front pocket. It is not thin as it is decent leather and the backer adds an extra layer but it never prints, will not come out of your pocket when drawing and breaks in to be very, very comfortable like any real good leather holster... highly recommend it.

3. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    FIST kydex thumb push. All pocket holsters tend to move around in pocket--wings are not enough unless your pockets are just right; they just do not prevent movement. The thumb push works off your own natural movement by having you push your thumb down on the holster as you grip the 3AT to present. Can get it in leather but kydex is ultra thin keeping with the whole idea of the 3AT. Try any pocket holster and imagine your thumb pushing on the side top edge of the holster specifically designed for this action. The FIST has an AMPLE thumb push "ledge" unlike other so-called thumb push models.

4. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I bought the Nemisis pocket holster from cabelas last year for $20.00
    Been using it for a full year for everyday carry. Love it.
    It's small and thin...sort of sticks to the pocket to hold it in place. Also use it in my jacket pockets when i carry it there.

[​IMG]

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    While not an answer to your post and not intended to sway you from your search, but... ;)

I too looked for the thinest materail. However, I purchased possibly the thickest leather holster K&D made ( a bifold wallet for the 2n1 defender). for the first week or so It felt like a brick in my pocket (compared to the #1 uncle mikes I also have). but once the leather took form to my pants, I do not notice it at all. I personally like the feel of the substantial leather and very pleased with the fact I can remove the holstered gun in public and for those few times no one has noticed.

Having just said I'm OK with the thick leather, I too might try the thin kydex if the design was similair :-/

6. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I bought my Grandfather Oak Kydex about three years ago and really like it. Only use it about 5% of the time I carry because I use a SmartCarry the other 95% of time. The SmartCarry is much more comfortable and convenient for me than pocket carry. I'm not sure how things are going today at Grandfather Oak, but when I bought mine they were very responsive and made a great holster.

Why I like my Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion for my P-3AT with ArmaLaser.  
    http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html  
    1] Very Light  
    2] Very Thin  
    3] Does Not Absorb Sweat  
    4] Stays In Place In Pocket  
    5] Gun Snaps In Very Positively, yet ...  
    6] Draws Easily, and ...  
    7] Holster Stays In Pocket During Draw  
    8] Will Probably Never Wear Out  
    9] Not Expensive  
    10] Needs No Maintenance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobo

7. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
  8. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Gentlemen, once you get to be a church-mouse-poor retiree, you may discover the small-bubble-pack-mailer holster, reinforced inside with a bit of shirt cardboard and on the outside with duct tape. This works about as well as some of the spendy ones...lasts about six months. You can even reshape the cardboard for a thumb push. When it wears out build another one. :-*

9. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    Another vote for Grandfather Oak Kydex . Had one for a few months and really like it, better than the Nemisis I used before. I prefer a Fobus paddle when I can get away with it.

Tom

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I made mine out of old toolbelt leather. it only adds the thickness of the leather X 2. The wooden (cedar, light wieght) makes the whole thing print like a wallet.

[​IMG]

Note the size of the holster. The barrel is longer than the holster, the handle is longer than the holster. Other than the thickness of the leather (x2) the holster adds zero to the size of the package. The one behind it was the first version, but you can see it is much larger. I carry in my back pocket.

[​IMG]

BTW, those pics were when I first made it. I've been carring it for awhile, and it has formed tight 'round the gun. I did have to cut a little hole in the leather so the mag release button would not be pushed. Works great.

11. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Nice, lop.

I am an "old school" guy.
    I cook in 100 years old cast iron, I do the maintenance on the Harleys myself ... I like to do things myself, because I get it "my way", and if it is not right, I know who to blame.
    I always wanted to make leather holsters for my guns, but have no idea on how to do it. Any pointers ???

12. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, it lives in my pocket, so I dont' really care if it looks like Frankenstiens rejects. Just jump in. I made one out of rabbit fur, one from an nylon strap (back ground in photo), then this one. Each one better than the last by a large margin. I did not know what I needed until I had something that needed impoving. Make something, note the problems/limitations, and then fix them. Remember, Simple is good.

BTW, my father's father was a tool and die maker. They had a customer that ordered a steel pancake gridle. They made the die then the costomer decided against the idea for some reason. My G.father and the other 5 guys that worked on the project decided to run 6 heats thru the die. I fix pancakes on one of those griddles. Who knows if the other 5 are still in existance? Like my other G. father's winchester, it is better, to me, because of it's history.

13. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Well, it lives in my pocket, so I dont' really care if it looks like Frankenstiens rejects. Just jump in. I made one out of rabbit fur, one from an nylon strap (back ground in photo), then this one. Each one better than the last by a large margin. I did not know what I needed until I had something that needed impoving. Make something, note the problems/limitations, and then fix them. Remember, Simple is good.

BTW, my father's father was a tool and die maker. They had a customer that ordered a steel pancake gridle. They made the die then the costomer decided against the idea for some reason. My G.father and the other 5 guys that worked on the project decided to run 6 heats thru the die. I fix pancakes on one of those griddles. Who knows if the other 5 are still in existance? Like my other G. father's winchester, it is better, to me,  because of it's history. [/quote]

Absolutely !!!
    Did your grand-father live around Erie, PA ?  Lots of foundries there that did cookware from the 1850s through WW2. One of the most famous was Griswold; some of their skillets get up to $5,000.00   !!!

Got your point about making holsters; I have a left-over piece of black leather about 2 sq. ft. that would be perfect.
    I read about wet molding it to the gun, but I have no idea how to stitch it; I think using her sewing machine would get me in trouble  ;D

In the mean time I might follow risabee suggestion ... very clever idea !!!

14. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Jfl,
    He was from Syracuse. Not to far from Pa. What I did was actually drill my holes. I samiched the leather and the insert 'twixt scrap wood and ran a small bit thru. The larger hole in the insert only is where I "hid" the knot. For string, I robbed and old pair of wingtip shoes. I really theaded it like a pair of shoes and just tied a square not inside the larger hole. Because it is going to be in your pocket, the heat, sweat, preasure of the enviorment will take care of the forming. Mine looks a bit different after some pocket travel. it is form fitting. You can look inside and know if I had a p3 or a LCP in it. It has formed that close. An outside the belt pancake wouldn't get fitting from use, but inside the pocket will.

15. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    [smiley=dankk2.gif]  got it !
    Easy enough - simplicity is the mother of success !!!

I'll give it a try next week-end, might even post a picture ...

Thanks,  [​IMG]