Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I think using the belt clip depends on the physiology of the user. I am overweight. My too-large abdomen pushed my P3AT out onto the tile floor of a relative's home while there for Christmas dinner...
Obviously a deciding factor. I would assume, that with your physique, any type of IWB carry would be problematic. By the same token, a 125# individual would probably have a difficult time carrying the PF-9 in a front pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Ohio your gun must be in a holster when concealed or open in your vehicle so the clip won't do you any good here. Not sure about other states but I would check your state laws.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
In Ohio your gun must be in a holster when concealed or open in your vehicle so the clip won't do you any good here. Not sure about other states but I would check your state laws.
I think Ohio is something of a rarity. Have you actually read the specific law? Many users of the belt clip also incorporate a trigger holster with a lanyard. Would that suffice in Ohio?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't have a PF9 or 11 but have carried a cocked & locked 1911 with a "Clip Grip" from Brownells of 3 decades as a LEO. Also a M36/M60 S&W .38 with a similar device. The rubber Pachmayr grips and a snug belt enhanced security. Never had an issue nor was discovered to be carrying a weapon during UC assignments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Kel-Tec Belt Clip installed on my P11, P3AT and P32. I am glad that I did as they are very functional. The only downside is when I take the P3AT to the range for practice that clip will "bite" the web of my hand and leave a small, but aggravating abrasion. I solved it by putting a band-aid on that spot before taking the first shot with it. It's also wise to use some blue Loc-Tite on the threads as I have had them come loose with any sort of extended range time.

The P11 and P32 aren't so bad in that regard but either of those will slap your index finger if you do a lot of rounds. So if I'm going to go through a box or two, it's a band-aid on the index finger, as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
-sorry, I am a member, but my account appears to have been removed

I have used the left hand clip bar for years on my P3AT. I have loops sewn into my cargo pockets and clip the pistol there. I never used a holster except for the annual requal. True, some states appear to require a holster, but read the law carefully, most have an exception for grip clips like on the revolvers, which would include this device. Georgia is an example of such an exception.
I use red locktite on mine, never have a problem with it backing out or disassembly. For me I've adopted a specific grip where my thumb rides along the top of the clip. After about 50 or 60 rounds it does tend to chew up the hand. (Remember, mine is left side for the inside cargo loop). for some 5.11 dress khakis I keep the pistol loose in the second front pocket, barrel stuck into the change pocket.

Past year or so I've moved to a Remora (sticky holster, like Desantis) and love that because I can use it IWB or in my cargo interchangeably.

I just reached the 2k round mark on my pistol and am in process of retiring for another. So far the M&P BG, Taurus and now Ruger are not up to the same standards as my little P3AT, looks like I'm going with the Ruger Custom Galloway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Put the pocket clip on my p3at cause it looked cool, never used it. I found pocket carry for this gun works best. For a bigger gun I prefer a holster, inside pants or out.
I will not pretend to tell you which holster is best, I tried many till I found what work best for me and anyone should do the same.
Maybe someone you know has some holsters you could try , might save you money. For concealed carry I just did not trust the pocket clip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never been much of a fan of the belt clips. I have a P32 and a PF9 and they are great guns when you need a very small, concealable weapon. But the belt clips are just not my style. Granted, it would take a lot to accidentally pull the trigger of a DA only gun with a pull of 8-12 pounds, but it could happen. But more of a concern to me is the moisture the gun is exposed to from my body. I prefer to carry in a pocket holster that covers the trigger and offers some protection to the gun from normal body moisture.

Just my two cents, but wanted to contribute to the decision making process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems like a great idea until you think about it and/or try it. 2 matters.
First and foremost, the trigger should be covered when carrying. At the agency there was a negligent discharge (no such thing as "accidental") using a Versacarry carrying device - it's NOT a holster. The person had fallen in the parking lot dislodging the PF-9, with Versacarry still attached, from his belt (crossdraw carry.) He was bending over when it fired due to bunched clothing. He (and everyone in the area) was very lucky - a pair of pants were singed and split at the seam. Remarkably, no disciplinary action.
Second, be careful in use. For the P3AT, switching hands will cut you - shooting a P3AT left handed with the right-handed clip or vice versa will cut you. This is not necessarily the case with the PF-9. I can personally attest to this (and the wisdom of having a first aid kit in your range bag.
However, there are some motorcycle patrolmen who like to carry some "insurance" inside their high-topped leather riding boots on the inseam side. While they understand the safety issues, they are confident in their handling. We wish them good luck.
Bottom line: The clips can provide a handy way to store a pistol in an out-of-the-way place, for example, under a shelf. But for EDC, covering the trigger is far more important than the slight improvement in concealment - today's IWB holsters are plenty concealable and, for me, they are much faster on the draw than the belt clips. YMMV.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah - he was EXTREMELY lucky. The skin on his hip was a bit tender, but no burns or embedded particles. We have no idea where the bullet went. It happened outside and except for the chip in the sidewalk, nothing. Nobody reported any damage, etc. In fact, no one inside the building reported hearing anything.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts