Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, what original and subsequent reads of the thread gave me was Armallard asked for opinions on belt clip. Several posters opined it was a good thang, some noted reservations on exposed trigger. bryanflowers stated his would occasionally 'push up and fall out'. You asked bryanflowers if he had "the one with 2 grip bars or the one with 3"; he said "mine had the 3", and you stated "Okay, that explains it. His had the three grip bars."

What am I missing?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Well, what original and subsequent reads of the thread gave me was Armallard asked for opinions on belt clip. Several posters opined it was a good thang, some noted reservations on exposed trigger. bryanflowers stated his would occasionally 'push up and fall out'. You asked bryanflowers if he had "the one with 2 grip bars or the one with 3"; he said "mine had the 3", and you stated "Okay, that explains it. His had the three grip bars."

What am I missing?
"sigh" Only one of us knew there were no grip bars. One of us was pontificating on terrible experiences with a KelTec product he hadn't even seen. There were other similar instances on other threads, and I finally just called BS on it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
never thought I'd carry with a clip and thought it was a joke... when I bought my P32 like a month ago I also bought a clip to go along with it.... I have carried it ever since and am 100% confident it will not ignite... I've carried it clipped to cargo shorts front pocket but most the time its IWB at 3:30ish, even carry it on my pajamas which happen to be gym shorts atm if you need to know and yes the P32 is there clipped IWB as I type this from my bed.... :p

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
For those using threadlocker on the screws...does it cause disassembly problems? Do the threaded sections spin, when you try to remove the screws?
Only a problem if you douse the threads with thread locker. One very tiny drop is all you need and then just snug the screw, and then tighten 1/4 turn. No torque is needed as you are replacing a push out pin.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Look for low strength thread locker too. With such small screws that see little stress that's plenty to hold them. A little heat from the tip a soldering gun helps break them loose after using thread locker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have them on all of my mouse guns and have never had a problem and have been a fan for the last 10 yrs. I now even put one on a PMR30 and have been carrying it for a while with it. I carry at 4oclock,right behind my r/kidney. The gun is so flat and narrow for the most part and I have no issues with it with retention, stays put. I live in south FL so we are always dressed very light, shorts, tee shirts. I also have holsters and the clips do not interfere with them. I find them to be great for my situation, might not be ideal for some though. So nice, yu cant tell yur carrying at all and very easily pulled if the need be. I even had to run one day after my dog and gun(small gun kahr pm9) stayed put, no issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the clip for many years on my P-11, but for some reason the PF-9 clip puts the pistol too far down in my belt to get a good grip on it for the draw. I put it away in a drawer for now but may experiment with relocating the mounting holes (good luck with spring steel :rolleyes:) so that it sits higher.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can see how the belt clip would be nice with such nice lite handguns but I wouldn't carry without the trigger being covered. Even if it doesn't seem likely there will be a time when clothing get caught in the trigger.
I hear many say they haven't had any problems. I wouldn't want to be that one person that has trouble and puts a bullet in the groin

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I can see how the belt clip would be nice with such nice lite handguns but I wouldn't carry without the trigger being covered. Even if it doesn't seem likely there will be a time when clothing get caught in the trigger.
I hear many say they haven't had any problems. I wouldn't want to be that one person that has trouble and puts a bullet in the groin
Please give me any reasonable, or unreasonable for that matter, marginally believable scenario in which a belted or empty pocketed PF-9 carried on a belt clip can be fired w/o a finger in the trigger guard. Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. However, if you must have the additional safety, one of the cute little trigger holsters with a lanyard is a viable option for your peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
When I use the belt clip, which is all the time, the trigger is snug between my side and 1 1/2" wide belt. Personally I think it's every bit as safe as a holster. You do have to be careful when holstering the gun but that's always the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
wphilb

Shirt tail, boxer shorts, spare tire (that roll of belly fat), loose pant material
all over the course of a day especially when you are active will move, slide and find their way into nooks and crannys (like trigger guard) and when the pistol is pulled or the shirt etc can pull on a trigger that is open.
I haven't seen it myself but have read about self inflicted wounds.
It may be a one in a million (and probably is ) but thats enough for me.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
wphilb

Shirt tail, boxer shorts, spare tire (that roll of belly fat), loose pant material
all over the course of a day especially when you are active will move, slide and find their way into nooks and crannys (like trigger guard) and when the pistol is pulled or the shirt etc can pull on a trigger that is open.
I haven't seen it myself but have read about self inflicted wounds.
It may be a one in a million (and probably is ) but thats enough for me.
I know I should just let this go, but I can't help myself. Think about this logically. Not even one chance in a million of the above happening. How can an obstruction in the trigger guard pull the trigger to the rear when you are drawing the pistol upward? The only way an obstruction can move the trigger rearward is when pushing the pistol downward, and that is just as likely to happen if you are using a holster and something interferes.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Again, if the trigger guard is tightly sandwiched between my jeans and side because of the wide belt I wear how could anything get in there?

I've done just about every physical activity that I would ever do with my PF9 belt clipped on. Worked on my cars, split firewood manually and with a splitter, every kind of yard work, ect... and not once during several years of carry has it been a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used one since day one...

I've always had a belt clip on mine and it works in the back pocket or in a boot. Never gave a thought to accidental discharge as the trigger is totally covered at all times except during a draw or re-holster and the gun is in full control that whole time.
The only problem is keeping rust from building up from perspiration. Frequent cleaning and oiling are a necessity with one of these.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Belt Clip

I think using the belt clip depends on the physiology of the user. I am overweight. My too-large abdomen pushed my P3AT out onto the tile floor of a relative's home while there for Christmas dinner...in front of their 15-year-old daughter and my brother-in-law. He never said a word, the girl turned and left the room (kitchen) as I had already exclaimed an irretrievable, "G-d it".

Never again. It's De Santis forever. Nothing else in the pocket with the gun. BTW...I halved the depth of the mag release button.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts