Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use this method of carrying? or is it just a pain to carry with one. The gun I just got doesn't have one though I would get opinions first. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I love these usernames. AR Mallard? Anyone else picture a duck with all sorts of rails for scopes and grips and what not?

There are, of course, different views to the clip. Some like it, some don't. A holster does two main things, in my opinion. It keeps the gun where you want it, oriented the way you expect it to be, and it covers the trigger from an unintended pull. There is a thing called a mic that others can give you more info on. It is a little kydex piece that clips on over the finger guard. It does nothing other than protect that trigger. It has a lanyard on it that you attach to a belt loop. So if you had the gun iwb (inside waste band) held in place with a clip, the mic would protect the trigger and pop off as you pulled the gun. This is the most minimal holster you can safely and sanely use.

lets see what others might have to say...

Oh, and Welcome to ktog.

Lop

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Mostly agree with lop. On any cocked and locked single action pistol with a safety but no back-up grip safety, I will not carry without a holster (too easy to sweep off the safety accidently outside a holster). With double action revolvers, and long double action first pull pistols like the KelTec, I will. I have never been able to demonstrate a method of pulling the trigger on a double action in my pocket or belt, even when intentionally trying, without having my finger in the trigger guard. I have never seen a documented occurrence either.

·
Grand Poobah
2,269 Posts
I have a belt clip on one of my Pf9's and I like it.
I also pocket carry.
The only bad thing I can see is I have to be more careful when I bend over tying shoes, the love handles have a tendency to push it up and off my 511 belt, it doesn't do it with a leather one.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I'm surprised none of the Nay Sayers have chimed in yet.
I've used the Belt Clip on mine, until I started Pocket Carrying.
The thing is... They're only $10-$15, depending on where you get them. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't, you can always sell it off for (almost) what you paid.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'm surprised none of the Nay Sayers have chimed in yet.
I've used the Belt Clip on mine, until I started Pocket Carrying.
The thing is... They're only $10-$15, depending on where you get them. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't, you can always sell it off for (almost) what you paid.
The thing I like is it is a viable option. I have them on all of my KelTecs (varies from less than to more than 10), but I probably only use them for daily carry about 10% of the time. I use them for around the homestead, in emergencies, and when I am not dressed to conceal any other way. They don't interfere with most holsters, so they are a handy addition.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have them on mine, but rarely use them. They sometimes work their way up off my belt. They work best while standing. I carry in a Fobus under a t shirt when I carry my P11.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I carry all the time, every day. I have belt clips on my p3at and my PF9. The thing I like about the belt clip is that with light clothing you can't tell your carrying. But, if I'm where I don't have to be concealed I normally carry in a holster. So far I've had no problems with the belt clip carry.

Ron

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Had one and occasionally it would push up and fall out. That's my only problem with it. Now it pocket or IWB only.
Did you have the one with 2 grip bars or the one with 3?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you have the one with 2 grip bars or the one with 3?
Mine had the 3. It would only happen from time to time. Luckily never at a "bad" time. I guess it really wasn't an ideal carry method for me and the drops convinced me that I didn't really like that kind of carry. But i know several people that LOVE it and swear by it. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Mine had the 3. It would only happen from time to time. Luckily never at a "bad" time. I guess it really wasn't an ideal carry method for me and the drops convinced me that I didn't really like that kind of carry. But i know several people that LOVE it and swear by it. To each his/her own.
Okay, that explains it. His had the three grip bars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We own several Glocks, but with the belt-clip the PF-9 (with a CT guard laser and Northwood trigger) is my most common primary (summer) and/or secondary carry. I'm a southpaw shooter so I re-shaped the clip and mounted it on the left side....works great. :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I carry mine with just the belt clip. Never had an issue. Never works loose and I just don't see how there could be an AD with the long trigger pull. I can say that in winter time with extra layers, it could be cumbersome to draw from under all those layers. Here in middle Tennessee we are t-shirts 9 months out of the year though.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
What are the grip bars--some kind of traction stickers, on inner surface of the clip?
There are no grip bars. Read the whole thread and maybe you will see why I asked that question. Maybe that will help you understand the OPs answer too. Only one of us knew there were no grip bars.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts