Pocket Carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tn2000SK, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Tn2000SK

Tn2000SK New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    I carry my P3AT in a Nemesis pocket holster, as well as in a Fobus ankle holster. I noticed a good deal of pocket lint accumulating on the gun. This is made worse due to the liberal amount of lube that I have on the gun. My question is whether I can get away from quite so much lube, which is a magnet for the lint? Recently after carrying it for a month or so, I attempted to shoot it and I had three failure to fires within the first magazine. I cleaned it and relubed, and did not have any more FTFs. My thinking is that the lint built up and caused the FTFs. Because it builds up so fast, can someone make any suggestions? (Can I carry it dry after I clean it?)

2. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    i carry mine iwb and have lint buildup i just blow mine out with compressed air which works fine....hope that helps....

3. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    after reading a suggestion on this board i have a tiny piece of scotch tape over the hammer slot. it keeps the dirt out and does not need to be removed prior to firing the gun.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Tn, my guess is that your failures where more about dryness of the weapon then the collected lint. Are you using grease in all the appropriate parts? Grease tends to stay a little better than just lube. Some suggest a dry lube. I prefer to clean and relube/regrease every couple of weeks.

-Scott

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ....clean and relube/regrease every couple of weeks....[/quote]

+1

I don't go more than a week with out cleaning (blowing lint out)
    with through cleaning after firing every couple weeks

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Tn, my guess is that your failures where more about dryness of the weapon then the collected lint. Are you using grease in all the appropriate parts? Grease tends to stay a little better than just lube. Some suggest a dry lube. I prefer to clean and relube/regrease every couple of weeks.

-Scott
    [/quote]

Big +1 on this advice. I recently experienced a similar issue at the range with my P3AT. It had been a month since I fired it and therefore a month since it had been apart and re-lubed. I fired one successful magazine full (the magazine full of carry-ammo) and then had a FTFeed on the last round of the next magazine (that were FMJ). I got out the flashlight, broke it down and observed a very dry gun. The grease was still there but it was not enough. Several drops of CLP and I ran 50 flawless rounds through it.

I have decided that every two weeks I am going to break it down, clean and re-lube, regardless of whether or not I've been to the range.

7. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    The fact is the mini kts are a challenge: a challenge to get up and running flawlessly (sometimes anyway -- sometimes they're good to go out of the box), a challenge to shoot accurately, and a challenge just to keep clean.

It takes discipline, but I agree with those who advocate cleaning bi-weekly. That's just part of the price you pay to own and carry these little pocket rockets. One thing about it, if you haven't fired the weapon, it's a much faster clean since you don't have to spend much time with the bore of the barrel. At frst it seemed like every two weeks was a lot, but I found I enjoyed it and it had some other benefits besides a clean weapon. Handling the pistol always gives me a chance to sharpen and stay sharp with things like being constantly aware of muzzle direction, keeping my finger away from the trigger, holstering and reholstering with awareness of safe technique, and the like -- handling your EDC in and of itself is part of practice and mindset. I find cleaning time often puts me in mode for slipping an A to Zoom snapcap in and doing some dry firing with my mind fully engaged in what I'm doing.

Gotta be willing to pay the price, and you gotta be up for the challenge. These fine pistols are not for everyone, but for those of us who are up for it, they just can't be beat!

Good luck and safe shootin'!

Lynnsky

8. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    I don't really look at it that way. I am rather new to the KTs and recently purchased a P-3AT. I understand some have problems, but based on the reported problems, it seems like that is really a rather low number compared to how many are out there.

I really wouldn't call it a "challenge". With info I found on this site, I gave a Fluff & Buff and oiled/greased,,,, maybe 2 hours of time. Also, painted the front site with bright orange paint. After the first range session of 70+ rounds of 3 different ammos without a hickup, I have complete trust in it. It ran as smooth as any gun I have ever used. It wasn't a challenge to get it running that way. I had no problems with self-defense accuracy. It really is not difficult to keep clean.

Having said that, it is NOT a Glock. If I compare it to my Glock 27 I suppose someone could consider it a "challenge". But, I can't carry my Glock in my front pocket.

I don't really think I am disagreeing with what you are saying, just I wouldn't use the word "challenge". It does take a little effort, but if you think about it, it really is minimal.

9. hiredgun

hiredgun New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I don't really look at it that way. . .

I don't really think I am disagreeing with what you are saying, just I wouldn't use the word "challenge".  It does take a little effort, but if you think about it, it really is minimal.[/quote]

I don't think you two guys are disagreeing, but I think what Lynnsky says is important to bear in mind for the following reason. The KTs work great as long as you are disciplined about keeping it cleaned and lubed (Mine have run 100% for as long as I can remember), and I would add that you must be very conscious about your grip also - they're not forgiving on that either.

But as Cascadedad said, they're not Glocks. If I am in a hurry and am walking out the door and my choice of what to bring along is a KT that hasn't been cleaned and lubed in a while or a Glock that's not been cleaned/lubed in a while, I'd grab the Glock every time under those circumstances because I've found my Glocks 100% on all conditions I've thrown at them, but you have to dress around them more. Whereas I am equally comfortable grabbing one of my KTs if it's been cleaned and lubed very recently - I have equal confidence in them under that circumstance.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    :eek: WHAT? You have to clean a Glock? Uh Oh.

-Scott

11. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    :eek:  WHAT?  You have to clean a Glock?  Uh Oh.
    -Scott[/quote]
    From what I've read about Glocks if you let the grime build up to around 1/8" thickness they actually become more accurate as the grime and grit tends to start filling in the gaps from manufacturing making the action tighter. Once the buildup reaches 1/4" thickness you may notice a few FTFs or FTEs unless you're using +P+ ammo. ;) ;D

12. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Owner of the local handgun store swears by EEZOX for all cleaning, lube and protections (nothing else).... rails, hammer and block too. Claims he was a police ammour guy for many years and did this. Should keep it dry enough to avoid the worst gumming. Suspect this might kill high volume KT range guns tho'..

I now carry like that but just before the range it gets a touch of synthetic Mobile or EEZOX or tiny dab of grease on the rails, trigger and block. No problems at all in over 1000 rounds but I spent lots of extra fluff-buff time making it a really 'smooth operator'.

Wanna keep lint out of your pocket gun? THEN KEEP LINT OUT OF YOUR POCKETS by pulling the pocket out before hitting the hamper and laundry. :-?

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I love Eezox as a rust preventative, but it is inferior as a cleaner and lube.

Keeping lint out is easier said than done. My hammer gets fuzzy after a couple days, no chunks of lint needed, just the dust the pistol/holster create rubbing around in my pocket all day long.

14. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Interesting BUT In May I got one of our P3's (spouses, not my smooth operator) back after being loaned and unshot or uncared for 7 months (during the damp PNW winter no less) with only EEZOX and it fired 2 full mags with no hiccups.

15. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I didn't say it was worthless as a lube, it is just that there are better options out there based on my personal experimentation. Same with the "cleaner" aspect. What Eezox will do for lubrication, a good grease like Shooter's Choice will do better. Likewise for FP-10 or Militec1 oils, especially in combination with the grease. Hoppes Number 9 gets my gun cleaner with a lot less scrubbing than Eezox ever could.

If you are in a hurry to care for your gun and really need to save that extra 2 minutes by doing it all with one product, than use whatever you need to to get the job done. I personally don't mind giving my pistols a (perceived) slight edge by using multiple products - after all, my life may well depend upon the decision. Dowhatchalike...

What Eezox is superior at is the prevention of corrosion - I think it is the best product available in that department, based on a number of different tests I have read where it always did well, as well as an experiment a friend of mine ran where it easily won.

16. Potlicquor

Potlicquor New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    I pocket carry and get much much lint on mine. I used to carry in an ankle holster and got the same, seems "lint" is going to get into and/or on it virtually anyway you carry it. I will agree with all the aforesaid suggestions recommending frequent clean and lube, to wit: using the right amount of the right stuff in the right places is sufficient...as I have found out.

17. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Thanks for spreading the tip :). I'm doing my now...

18. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    [quote author=Cascadedad link=1213361314/0#7 date=1213379950]

I really wouldn't call it a "challenge".  With info I found on this site, I gave a Fluff & Buff and oiled/greased,,,, maybe 2 hours of time.  Also, painted the front site with bright orange paint.  After the first range session of 70+ rounds of 3 different ammos without a hickup, I have complete trust in it.  It ran as smooth as any gun I have ever used.  It wasn't a challenge to get it running that way.  I had no problems with self-defense accuracy.  It really is not difficult to keep clean.

"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that the warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse ... " (Don Juan)

Regards,
    Lynnsky

19. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    "A warrier that considers it a challenge to keep his P-3AT clean and running has serious problems!" (Cascadedad) ;)

20. Here's a good idea. You learn something every day.

Paul