Pocket carry with clip instead of holster ...

Discussion in 'P-32' started by 4given, Dec 4, 2017.

1. 4given

4given Active Member

Sep 19, 2017
    How many of you pocket carry with the clip rather than the holster? Pro? Cons? Do you carry with one in the chamber?

I have the sticky holster for a p-32 but I think it is a little big for it. Any other small holsters that might fit it better?

Dreamsinger likes this.
  2. Ramfl41

Ramfl41 Member

Nov 19, 2017
    4056A72D-0F3C-46C4-8BC4-F0F9F6C53676.jpeg 2602C368-F340-41E3-80AA-4E1A9CBC6672.jpeg 0F68D799-9E17-4FF5-9AD1-BC997A8A0F5B.jpeg I use the clip for waistband carry only, either just behind my right hip or in the small of the back. The gun just disappears with this method of carry and I truly forget I am carrying at times. With any carry method I employ I do carry one in the chamber. If you are concerned with trigger safety using the clip only, you can add a kydex trigger cover holster for waistband carry. I currently use one from Cook’s Holsters (see pic) There are also videos on youtube showing how to use the trigger guard holster. I don’t think I would try and stuff the gun in my waistband with just the trigger guard in place as some do, but with the clip, this setup works beautifully!

With respect to pocket carry, I have tried some smallish holsters like the sticky holsters but they alwaus seem to create a little more bulk than I prefer. I now use BORAII kydex holsters exclusively for my pocket guns (see pics). These things are minimal, secure and keep the gun upright in the pocket.

3. 4given

4given Active Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Thanks for the reply Ramfl41. I have tried the BORAII with my DB9 but I did not care for it. I thought it printed really bad in my front pocket and the draw was tricky. I like the sticky for it and my LC9S Pro for pocket carry. I have seen the cook trigger guard but have never used one. might be worth a look.

4. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Portsmouth, VA
    Any right handers use the left side belt clip for small of the back carry? This would be inside the pants with with the left side facing the pants/belt, allowing for a right hand draw with the back of the hand pressed against the lower back. This would allow the fingers to slip past and grab the grip easily. This would seem to be much easier than having the right side belt clip and trying to get a good grip when the gun rides so low.

I saw a post from a left hander using the right side belt clip for small of the back carry, and it sounded effective.

I'm wondering if the left side clip would hit the right thumb during recoil?

Dreamsinger likes this.
  5. d524ax

d524ax Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Wentzville Mo
    I use the clip for appendix carry when wearing dress pants. That works great. I also use it when wearing bib overalls. Even with the clip you can still pocket carry without any issues.

6. Ramfl41

Ramfl41 Member

Nov 19, 2017
    8403DE50-8DF3-42DF-A328-F9861545486B.png B677E882-2B7F-47EB-9E67-95687379D83B.jpeg
    4Given - With respect to the BORAII ‘printing’. The bottom edge of the holster is normally flat or straight. I found this created a little printing across the bottom of my jeans pocket. But, by using hand pressure, I was able to curve this slightly which eliminated the print and made a huge difference in concealbility. Just a tip for those who may wish to try one of these.

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Very dangerous way to carry, way too easy to slip a finger into the trigger guard and blow a hole in your own butt...or worse.

Use the belt clip that only allows your thumb to slide between your back and the pistol...much safer.

I have belt/pocket clips on every pistol I own. It's the only way I carry. Trust me when I tell you the way you describe ain't the safe way to carry.

MarkCO, Pistolkitty and rmcnelly like this.
  8. 4given

4given Active Member

Sep 19, 2017
    That's a good idea and would surely help!

9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Portsmouth, VA
    Good point! Thanks for clarifying the risk!

10. dsgrey

dsgrey Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Texas
    I pocket carry with a DeSantis G5 size holster which fits perfect with my laser. A DeSantis G3 would probably work well without a laser. I also have the metal clip installed on mine for when I carry with gym shorts.

11. Blue_State_Saint

Blue_State_Saint Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I have my P332 in a DeSantis G3. No laser. Fits nicely.

12. mrchuck

mrchuck Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Gun Barrel City, TX
    I have the "belt/pants clip on my P-380,my P-11,and my P-40.
    The absolutely BEST add-on you can have!!

13. keledtec

keledtec Member

May 19, 2013
    I have the belt clip on my pf9 and love it. When I carried a p32 I loved the clip because it was so readily accessible from the right rear pocket. It looked like a knife. KelTec is the absolute best value for the money and their service is second to none. I sent the pf9 to the KelTec pros, five years ago, to be slicked up and it is a joy to shoot. My wife loves her p32 with a green laser. She couldn’t hit the target with regular sights due to her “Double Vision” (alternately seeing out of both eyes) but now she is in the bull every time with the laser. Amazing! Now, I wish they would make a back-up derringer the KelTec way.

14. sidney

sidney Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I would like to use a belt clip on my PF9 ang use it in my right front pocket. I live in South Florida and wear shorts 7 Days a week. I have not installed it because if concerns of getting the pistol dirty that might cause a malfunction. Like wise for IWB with the pistol getting rusty. Now using a belly band.

15. sidney

sidney Member

Dec 9, 2011
    The laser might help me too maybe. I had cataract surgery giving me perfect long distance vision but need reader glasses to see the sights clearly but then can’t see target. Now don’t use glasses at the range and compromise seeing the target and any blurry front sight, rear sight out of focus.

16. domain

domain Active Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Sidney have you considered a pocket holster?

17. sidney

sidney Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Yes, there are so many. Trying a Desantis Superfly but a little bulky. Trying a Desantis nemesis with the lcp2 but difficult to draw the hogue grip since it fas a finger grove bump. I bought the clip from Keltec for the PF9 but have not installed it. Both pistols I have read are prone to rust unfortunately so I think a holster might help. Looking for answers if possible.

18. sidney

sidney Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I am thinking of a IWB but using it in my front shorts pocket, I always wear my shirts out, ala Florida style so clip might not be visible.

19. keledtec

keledtec Member

May 19, 2013
    I’
    lll bet it wil be a blessing, friend...

20. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger Member

Dec 26, 2016
    North of Seattle
    If I could find a left hand clip (not the cheesy one with double sided tape) I'd carry SOB palm out. Presently I carry my P11 with a RH clip in my front pocket.

rmcnelly likes this.