Pocket Carry Thoughts ?????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bensin2, Dec 19, 2008.

1. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

Today was the first day I carried my little P3AT with a round in the chamber and it got me to thinking. I normally carry my XD 45 in an IWB holster. No matter how I'm positioned the gun is pointed in a safe direction. If it would discharge it would only hurt me. Now today the P3AT was in my front pocket and it was pointing at everyone. Especialy when I set down to eat with the wife it was pointing right at her. Whats the odds of it going off? I carry it in a good pocket holster.

Could I find some kevlar somewhere and sew it in my pocket area to slow or stop the round if it discharges?

Or am I just thinking to much and should not worry about it.

Thanks,
    Brent

2. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    As long as its in a holster that covers the trigger completely you are thinking too much. ;D

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Occasionally like I do carry a Glock 26 appendix style and the P3AT pocket carry becomes rather care free. :) Joking aside, when you sit simply rotate the pistol and pocket so that the barrel is pointing down into the chair. Every pair of pants allows me to do this but I guess there might be some sort of pants that has the pocket sewed flat onto the leg. Another thing you might be able to do is to move the gun and holster to an IWB position under a sweater or sweatshirt. I'll sometimes do the latter, while in my car, before entering a restaurant.

I can't imagine the gun going off by itself without the trigger being pulled. Keep it in a holster that covers the trigger and to be even safer keep everything else out of that pocket. Reposition the pistol as I described above and don't worry about it.

Take care...

4. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I've been pocket carrying for years and my pants don't allow me to rotate the pocket down.

It's never gone off yet and never will unless I pull the trigger or something in my pocket pulls it for me.

Just don't carry anything else but the pistol inside its' holster and you won't have a problem

5. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    About the same as the knive and fork getting up on their own and stabbing someone. -

Not to belittle any safety concerns, IMO, as long as it's the only thing in that pocket, and you never get complacent about CC it's about as safe as it can get.
    There is a minority that carries with the chamber empty. Just remember, when you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not. I'd rather be hot.
    You might want to reconsider front pocket carry while dining anyway, it's not that accessible while seated.
    In the end, it's what ever works for you.

6. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

;D I figured I was over thinking things. This is my first pocket gun.

Only thing I keep in my pocket is the gun in a holster so no worries there.

Thanks,
    Brent

7. timothius

timothius New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    The P3AT was my first pocket carry gun. WHile it is very comfortable to carry in the front or hip pocket it seemed to me to be a bit slow to pull and use with any good speed. I finally decided to go with a paddle holster. It is still easy to conceal and one heck of a lot faster for me to use if necessary to draw. YMMV

Tim

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I just had a great ideal to address this and the dreaded "fireball" from pocket lint.

Just insert a tampon into the barrel and tie it of to the holster, so when you draw, barrel is cleaned. Then If there is a ND/AD while in our pocket, the barrel burst will stop the bullet ;D

9. timothius

timothius New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I just had a great ideal to address this and the dreaded "fireball" from pocket lint.

Just insert a tampon into the barrel and tie it of to the holster, so when you draw, barrel is cleaned.  Then If there is a ND/AD while in our pocket, the barrel burst will stop the bullet  ;D
    [/quote]

Now here is someone with way too much time on his hands.  ;D However, what if you spayed a bit of Remoil down the barrel so when you pull the weapon in not only gets cleaned, but lubricated too. ;)

Tim

10. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008

Just insert a tampon into the barrel and tie it of to the holster, so when you draw, barrel is cleaned.  Then If there is a ND/AD while in our pocket, the barrel burst will stop the bullet  ;D
    [/quote]

OMG!!!... ;D ;D

11. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    pocket carry is the way to go. don't worry, it will not go off untill you pull the trigger. get a good pocket holster and be happy. i like the uncle mikes pocket holster for small auto, size zero. i either pocket carry or belt clip carry. both work well and i have never worry about the gun going off.

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    +1

If you don't have a good pocket holster....some guy has a heck of a deal in the trading post on holsters for the KT's. Might check it out..
    tr

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Yes, stop that.

14. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm glad that this discussion was brought up because I had similar concerns. The Desantis Nemesis and CT/Galco holster should be at my office by now. In fact I am going to head up there now and check since I've been out of the office all week on a business trip.

15. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    A good pocket holster will do a couple of things.  One is that it will have the trigger guard area covered to prevent any chance of the trigger being engaged; two is that it will keep the gun in an upright position for easy and safe access; three is that it will allow the gun to be pulled from the holster with ease.

Thanks for letting them know about our holsters for sale.  ;D ;D ;D Just kidding.  I know you're talking about the holsters you have for sale.

We do have two of our Pocket Defenders available for immediate shipment in the Trading Post.

16. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    thats the whole point in getting a true, long pull, DAO gun. That striker fired gun on your belt is already cocked and waiting, the p3at is only cocked by pulling the trigger. Thats why, for me personally, I would only pocket carry a true DAO where my finger cocks the gun. I didnt want a striker fired kahr that is cocked pointing at my wife across the table. I know that it has a firing pin block that only allows it if the trigger is pulled, but nothing in life is 100% all of the time. Am I paranoid? Heck yes im paranoid. Does everyone agree with me? nope. that is all.......

17. roach711

roach711 New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I was also a bit apprehensive when I first started front pocket carrying my P3 in a desantis holster. For a month or so I carried with an empty chamber while trying to make the hammer fall. Try as I might it never happened so I'm now comfortable carrying hot.

It's good to make your mistakes with an empty chamber.

18. druid

druid New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks for letting them know about our holsters for sale.  ;D ;D ;D Just kidding.  I know you're talking about the holsters you have for sale.

We do have two of our Pocket Defenders available for immediate shipment in the Trading Post.

[/quote]
    First off, I will give testimony that K&D Holsters are perfect for the P-3.  Second off, I can't imagine anything, except your own finger, being able to pull that trigger back far enough for an AD!  As they say in Brooklyn, fagedaboudit!  So, put it in your pocket and sally forth.  In a week's time you will nearly forget it is there; until, of course, something sets off that tingly alarm and you pat your pocket just to remind yourself it really still is.

19. arhdc

arhdc New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I am comfortable carrying a P3AT a pocket without a holster when convienient becuase the trigger pull is so long. We are all conditioned to thinking of automatics having touchy triggers (ie single action 1911) and thus unsafe unless that trigger is safely tucked away in a holster but many of the same folks are fine with a double action wheel gun in a pocket. With the advent of the DAO autos with no safeties to knock off the modern DAO auto is more akin to a DA revolver.

Having said this I like a holster for all of the reasons that have been stated so far and carry in a holster most of the time. Get a good one or two or three.

20. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    If its in a good pocket holster you're thinking too much and should not worry about it.