Pocket Carry Options/Holsters

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HankR, Feb 21, 2008.

1. HankR

HankR New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I like the way my 3AT rides in my pocket with a Desantis Nemesis holster, but it prints a little too much. I ordered a Desantis Superfly. That with the cover panel in place that one doesn't print, but it is much bigger. With the cover panel, the holster is wider (e.g. as if the gun were taller, the cover panel is wide enough to cover a PF-9. With the nemesis it looks like "hey, is that a gun", with the superfly it's more "what is that huge thing in your pocket". I don't really care for either.

Is there a trick to this? It almost looks like I could cut and re-hem the cover panel so it's not so big? If I fold the cover panel around the gun, it's smaller but still bigger than the nemesis (which is the same as the superfly w/out the cover panel).

Has anybody hit on a good compromise?

2. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm right there with you. Though I went the route of the SuperFly first bypassing the nemesis. I agree the APP on it is HUGE and makes it about unusable in my rear pants pocket. Good for maybe a jacket pocket or the cargo pocket in cargo pants. I am interested in a solution as well. My temporary solution at the moment is that I have the P3AT riding as BUG only in an ankle rig during the winter/spring with a Glock 27 as primary in an IWB holster. But come summer time there will be those days where the P3AT in a rear pccket will be all I will want to mess with. Right now I am looking the hardest at the K&D 2-in-1 Defender as my solution. I just haven't taken the plunge and got on the list yet..

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Try an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I have one and it fits in my jeans very well and doesn't print at all. By looking at the design one would think it would print badly but that's not the case. Also, if you're new to pocket carry you will, by nature, by a bit more paranoid at first and this is natural. Unless you are around someone who knows what to look for I wouldn't worry at all. 99% of the people you will likely encounter will have no clue that you are carrying as long as the butt of the gun isn't sticking out in plain sight. I only carry a gun in my pocket when the occasion calls for my shirt to be tucked in and never worry about a thing. I think I only paid something like $14 for mine.

4. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Are you using an Uncle Mike's Size 2. It looks like the size 1 may be too small for the P3AT.

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
  6. moparrman74

moparrman74 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Yes I agree that the uncle mikes works well as that is what I use when I pocket carry.

Problem is that with dress slacks for work or tighter jeans, I dont like looking like I have a brick in my pocket.

So I really like my Smart Carry, and if I can wear an untucked shirt I have a Don Hume IWB that works great.

Smart carry is very fast to draw with practice, but I guess the only down side is that you cant stick your hand down your pants in public just to put your hand on the gun if the situation is a little shady ::), like you can with a pocket holster, and almost can with an IWB.

7. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I too am a big fan of the Uncle Mike's #2 in pocket holster. I don't wear tight jeans though. If someone even noticed the bulge, I would assume that they would think it's a wallet. You know, people don't do that though....look at peoples' pockets. Like a prev poster said, as long as the grip's not sticking out at all, you'll be fine.

8. old_ironsights

old_ironsights New Member

Oct 7, 2004
  9. smcintos

smcintos Banned

May 5, 2007
    The best holster I found is the Mika's pocket holster. It is easy to carry and he is great to deal with. He took my order on the phone homself sent my holster with no money up front and said pay me if you like it. If you dont like it give it to someone you think will  like it, Dont worry about sending it back. You just dont find service like that. Of course I love it and payed as soon as I got it. I also have a K&D and it is great but for the price the Mika is hard to beat.
    Here is a link to his web site for prices and info:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

Hope this helps
    Steve

10. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    For front pocket carry in dress or non-jean pants, for me it seems that "pleated" slacks don't print as bad and banded bottom shirts help too.

11. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I too have the Nemesis.
    I just carry a handkerchief to the outside of it and it breaks it up nicely without adding weight or buik.
    And it does not interfere in any manner with the draw.
    I am considering sewing a peice of semi soft leather to the outside of the holster to break up the printing while wearing jeans however.

12. ter

ter New Member

Feb 19, 2008
  13. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Galco has 2 pocket holsters, The Pocket Protector and The Front Pocket ( Horse Hide )

http://www.usgalco.com

14. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  15. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Wallet-style pocket holster. Regular Wranglers back pockets are not quite deep enough to get the serial # area out of view. I am using this one, though the 29.95 price might be considered steep. It works well in pants with a sewn in back pocket and is thin enough to not look bulky.

http://www.activeprogear.com/wallet_holster.html

16. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

Elite Survival Systems...
    Been carrying in an Elite for almost 3 years now. I have one for my P-32, P3AT, P-11 & PF-9. Most comfortable and effective solution I've found. Priced at around $12. :cool:
    [​IMG]

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Maybe it's just me but I find that holster to designed backward, unless it is a left handed version.  As a right hander, from a back pocket, I want to be able to grab the pistol just like I'm reaching for my wallet.  That design has the butt of the gun facing out, forcing you to turn your hand over, palm facing out, in an awkward, unnatural position.  Unless of course, you have the anti-print panel in the inside, up against your butt, which makes no sense at all.  YMMV...  :-/

An oldie but goodie...

[​IMG]
    K&D Pocket Defender 2-in-1 Convertable.  :cool:

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I was thinking the exact same thing - it would cause you to sweep much of your body with the weapon on a draw. And it clearly would not work in the right side front pocket either. This HAS? to be a left handed version in the picture?

-Scott

19. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is a left handed version as far as I'm concerned but the pics on the site show that model in the right hand pocket being drawn in that very awkward fashion.  As you said Scott, in the right front pocket, that the anti-print panel would be on the inside up against the body.  I guess a right hander needs to order their left handed holster.  I wonder how many people got the wrong holster from them?  :-/