Pocket carry cheap and easy

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    While waiting on my new leather pocket holster, I have been folding 2 paper towels in 4ths. the size of a pack of cigarettes maybe, and putting gun in front pocket behind folded paper towel. Super thin, no weight at all, breaks the outline great, you can pull the gun easy as pie, doesn't wear out, doesn't get dirty, just pull off a couple of new sheets of bounty everyday!
    May never use the Holster :)
    Kinda strange I know, but dam it works perfectly. Anybody else use homemade items to carry with?

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Makes sense that it would break up the outline...but do you have any issues with the gun not staying upright and in the draw position? I'd also be a little concerned about trigger protection.

As far as homemade carry options, there have been many listed on this site. From eye glasses cases, cell phone pouches, and the little zipper case that came with the gun.

3. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    In Denim jeans it stays in perfect position, muzzle down no side movement, The "stuffing" of the paper towel in front keeps it in place, and it doesn't have to be drawn from a holster. You reach in behind the paper, it's ready.

I can say in dress pants, Dockers, ect, they are looser in the pockets so it doesn't work as well, the pistol does change position. But for Jeans, it's a definite thumbs up!! Give it a try.

4. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Not bad, gatorhugger, not bad.  I use this method frequently for carrying knives to break up the ouline in, say, a backpocket and that works real well.  I can see where in tighter jeans this would be a good method in a pinch.  A member of KTOG, Srigs, makes a good looking pocket holster for 15 bucks.  His site is http://www.sideguardholsters.com/indexhtm Haven't bought anything from him yet, but I sure intend to (no affiliation -- he's a fellow KTOGer just starting out with some good looking holsters at mighty good prices -- five bucks shipping, I believe).

Regards,
    Lynnsky

5. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I worry about the trigger not being protected as much as with a regular holster. But I think I'll try using the paper towel on top of my Uncle Mike's #1 to prevent printing in certain pants.

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    A square piece of cardboard or a folded envelope will work in a pinch.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Cardboard, sealed and taped maybe. but not paper, please. [​IMG] IMNSHO, anything that does not encase the gun (enough to keep foreign objects out of the trigger area WHEN you forget and drop your keys or something in that pocket) and is stiff enough to prevent poking through into the trigger guard is not sufficient.

-Scott

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    It would be dangerous to carry other stuff in the same pocket. I have to dedicate the right front pocket to just pistol, nothing else. With nothing in the pocket, there is nothing to pull the trigger and it has a long trigger pull anyway so it seems perfectly safe.

I wouldn't put keys or coins in the same pocket , I don't want the gun all nicked up and I don't want to fumble through junk looking for the gun if I ever need it. Just the gun and bounty folded flat. It's also VERY comfortable, the towel is weightless, it is pliable so it bends with you during sitting and walking. Plus the paper never pulls out when you reach behind it and draw the gun. If you were in a "yellow" state of awareness, say someone coming up to talk to you at a gas station you don't know, you can have both hand in your front pockets very casually, hand totally around gun ready to withdraw it without looking like you are holding onto the butt of a weapon in a holster.
    Then Throw towel away at end of day, and get a new "holster" everday!
    Definitely not as good as a real leather holster probably, but it does work perfectly.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Now THAT gives new meaning to "throw in the towel"   ;D

And like you, I keep that pocket dedicated to gun. But even with lots of training and habbits sometimes things go different. Just yesterday I could not find my car key (single key). I search everywhere and finally found it sitting in my right front pocket below my KD Holster/P3AT. Have NO clue how/why I put it there.

-Scott

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    old habits are hard to break. I have done it myself. I keep telling myself, keys in LEFT pocket, left pocket, left pocket. Sometimes there they are next to gun in right pocket! STUPID.

11. Srigs

Srigs New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    You are correct. $20 shipped. I use one of my Rough Out (pocket holster) for my P32, P3AT, P11 and PF9 (Just picked one up)! :cool:

12. Seaworm

Seaworm New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Interesting idea, gatorhugger.

I have a couple of holsters on order with Srigs - wish I had ordered one of the rough-out pocket holsters.  Picked up a concealment concepts pocket holster and have not been too impressed with it thus far, it comes out of the pocket with the pistol every time.  

I look forward to receiving my Side Guard holsters!   :)

13. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    It's true, some people don't prefer this method of carry for whatever personal reasons they may hold. I think there is an age-old war going on somewhere about how is the best (safest) way to carry a gun when it's in your pocket, IWB, or carried some other way. The most important thing to remember here is that each person should carry however they feel is the best for them and agree to disagree on matters like this.

Josh- who remembers a time when carrying with one in the pipe was a little unnerving.

14. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    josh - yup, when i first carried i was slightly worried about snagging the trigger when reholstering.

i tried pocket carry VERY briefly. found out 1) i have far too much crap to carry around for pocket carry, and 2) i don't wear the right kind of pants for it, anyway.

i have found that i like WRB holsters a lot. don't have one yet for the P3, it's next on the "buy stuff" list.
    http://www.wrbss.com/pretender.html

the paper towel idea doesn't seem to be such a good idea for said reason. but there have been some very interesting 'home grown' holsters here! :eek:

spence

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I got my new pocket holster. It sucks, stiff as a board, too big, adds too much weight for a pocket. I trimmed it up some which left edges that deposited little bits of leather grain all over the pistol. I also tried a mikes pocket, it left a lot to be desired as well.

I went to the site for the side holsters, that one that is light tan and small looks appealing. If it is soft and small I will try it. I want a front pocket holster that adds minimum pocket weight, covers up 90% of the gun, is easy to draw as well. May be a tall order!

Till then, I will put it in the soft case it came with, that works well for dress pants with large pockets. For Semi tight jeans, I will stick to my "patented Bounty carry" Haha. Either of those methods I can get the gun out in a flash with no fumbling, pushing down on a holster while withdrawing, ect.

Just bought 250 rounds of JHP Federal Classic, going to get her broke in right, then not work it too hard from then on. Stick to the tank Ruger for target practice.

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Maybe I missed it (and I did go back and look) but I can't find which pocket holster you got? If leather or cloth, a little bit of time in your pocket and it will wear in, soften and mold up right to you. If Kydex, well, NOT.

-Scott

17. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I have been pocket carrying for about a month now, with no holster. I have had no problems with it at all, but I usually wear somewhat baggy pants. I have noticed the bluing wearing off the in some spots tho. I have a holster on order for the grandfather oak place.... but they are a few weeks behind, so it will be a while till it gets here. I was kinda surprised that there weren't many reviews on the holster, but I'm gunna give it a try.

cheers

18. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Mine is a no name homemade one off ebay. It was advertised as built VERY WELL. In fact it is too well built. I don't think it will loosen if it was in the Hudson River for a month.

I need soft and small but well built. A leather that is strong, but thin and light and wears good and wont fall apart in 2 months. Still looking.

19. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Maybe I don't need leather, maybe I need nylon Cordura like the case it came with. A small light Pocket nylon holster. Those are soft right away, pretty thin and lightweight, and wear good too. That may be the ticket. Thinking about ditching the mag finger extension too.
    It helps shooting it, but adds bulk to the profile in the pocket.
    I want it to disappear in my pocket, that's the whole point in buying a 3at for me anyway.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Many of us are still huge fans of:
    www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com 's Pocket Pal.  It seems a bit puffy at first but calms down nicely with a day or two of wearing, it molds nicely to the curve of your thigh (or leg if you carry in a boot), is light weight AND VERY INEXPENSIVE.

[​IMG]

-Scott