Pocket carry: Anyone nervous?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chrischris, Nov 22, 2007.

1. chrischris

chrischris New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I have been planning on switching over to a P3AT instead of my Springfield Sub compact XD9. IWB with my XD is just not comfortable for me and carrying a small Kel Tec seems like the best set up.

However, tonight I thought of something. While carrying in your pocket is very comfortable, my gun safety instincts might have a problem with the weapon pointing at people I sit across from or behind. I realize spontaneous firing is nearly unheard of, but it still might make me nervous to have a loaded pistol aimed at those I love when I sit down for dinner.

Anyone else ever consider this?

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Just make sure you use a good holster that covers the trigger guard.
    And welcome to K.T.O.G. "chrischris".

PshootR

3. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I guess I'm very oblivious, I never cosidered that, altho currently I don't have a round chambered. I will also have to look for a new holster, I added the armalaser. Tom

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    A GOOD holster.
    the long trigger pull.

I'll admit I too was and would be concern about any "NEW" piece of machinery that I personally haven't proven.

I carried my new P3AT with only a spent case for a couple weeks to be sure the hammer didn't fall or trigger get pulled while I worked. It is now carried chambered

I have a VERY GOOD K&D 2N1 with wallet pannel and the pistol is even protected when I was crawling head first down a concrete colvert and it fell out.

5. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Biggest problem I’ve had with pocket carry is retraining myself NOT to stuff keys and what not into my gun pocket! I normally wear cargo style pants with an upper and lower pocket on either side. I carry my P-3AT on the upper right hand side. My keys are supposed to go in the lowermost pocket, but I don’t know how many times I’ve caught myself just casually starting to drop them into the upper pocket. :eek: Obviously, this could be very bad. The couple of times they’ve managed to make it all the way in, I’ve had to carefully extricate everything from my pocket to make sure none of the little danglely key bits make it into the trigger guard. The holster does a good job of covering the guard, and thus far I managed to avoid shooting myself in the leg. Good news is I rarely seem to go for the gun pocket anymore. Maybe it really is possible to teach an old dog new tricks! :-/

6. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hi Chris,

I am new to carrying this little pocket gun too. And I have felt the same concerns. I did invest in a good holster, but I have also adopted ( at least for the time being ) a strategy of assessing my environment and deciding whether to chamber a round or not. While with family and friends in a 'safe' environment I don't chamber one.

While out and about I do chamber one. As I get more and more comfortable I am sure I will be "ready and able." There are multiple schools of thought and many believe if you carry unchambered that you might as well carry a rock. But for my peace of mind and my experience level I have chosen to make adjustments. At least I'm well prepared more often than I used to be. :cool:

You will really like the 3AT and ...welcome to the forum, where lots of folks much wiser than I have all the answers! ;)

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome Chris! Being nervous about carrying a new way is perfectly natural and it's good to consider the pros and cons before you do it. I have a belt clip and ITW is how I normally carry but with a tucked in shirt that can be problematic. For those occasions I bought an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster for front pocket carry. It was very inexpensive (not cheap) at around $9.99 and addresses all the concerns you may have regarding safety issues. I have no problem with carrying a round chambered since the trigger is covered completely and the gun is the only thing in that pocket.

8. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I broke down and paid $44.00 for a Galco high quality leather holster. I have not regreted it. The trigger is securely covered.

9. Hawkjm

Hawkjm New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I just picked up a desantis nemesis holster at cabelas since I have heard good things about it. This is my 3rd day owning the gun, and first day carrying it. However its hard to trust a nylon holster to protect the trigger, but we will see. For now its not chambered until I get used to it, but it will be soon enough.

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    First let me say that modern guns do not just "go off" like they might on TV...

I feel 100% safe with my P3AT in a pocket holster (mine is K&D) in my pocket. As someone said, the hardest part is not putting other stuff in the same pocket as the gun, although I am getting pretty good at that. Like most things, over time things get easier and more comfortable.

Anyway, if the round went off in your pocket, the odds are far better that it would go into your leg than into a family member.

11. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I have,nt been using a holster,mines hard chrome,got the accesory belt clip.I like the belly gun type carry.I just clip it inside my pants to the right of center.Odds of accidetally pulling the trigger are pretty slim,however it does concern me somewhat.May want another kid down the road if you get my drift..

12. jocko

jocko Guest

it can't go off, it is in only a half cocked position anyway and that alone will not fire a round, just not enough spring action. It has a full hammer block, and then if that even failed and let the hammer go, u are only in a half cock scenario. Only pulling the trigger back fully will you get the full spring action to ignite a round. Fear not, it is 100% safe for pocket carry, BUT i would always make sure it is in a good pocket holster that completly covers the trigger area thereby forbidding ones nasty *** finger from accidently messing with it..

13. jocko

jocko Guest

belt clip looks cool belt clip also looks dangerous. Hoslter it, releive ur fears that way. Good luck on ur next kid ;D ;D

14. jocko

jocko Guest

that is one good holster, It will protect ur trigge ras good as any leather holster. Theya re one nice holster IMO. I carry my kahr pm9 in a desantis nemesis and trust it fully. The only safety on that kahr is like the kt's safety and that is the safety between ones ears..

15. FLA2760

FLA2760 Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Like other posters have said, good quality holster that fully covers trigger guard. PS, I would only get nervous if  I reached  in and my pocket  was empty! :eek: I never leave home without my Kel Tec pocket rocket. ;D

16. kermitdafrog

kermitdafrog New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Chrischris:

I also have a P3AT which I bought about 7 months ago.  I recently got my permit, and right now I don't carry so this is just blather, not experience:

Given the amount of trigger pull of the P3, and it's long stroke, I can't help but wonder if anything in your pocket could lodge in just the right way and maintain that position long enough to pull the trigger far enough back to fire it even without a holster and without you knowing it.  To me after about 300 rounds or so, so far, it seems difficult enough when it's intentional.  With a holster that covers the trigger guard, accidental trigger pull seems even more remote ... enough to me that I wouldn't give it a thought, but you are the one that has to be comfortable.

I am shopping for a rear pocket holster but for a different reason, and that would be to make sure it stays in the correct vertical position in my right rear pocket (always jeans).  So far this looks like what I want ( http://www.personaldefensesolutions...PH&Category_Code=POCK&Product_Count=3 ).  If anyone has used one, opinions would be appreciated.

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Frog man, the answer is YES, it can. I have done some "testing" as to what it would take to make a P3AT go snap (no bang as I tested without ammo...) You could very easily do it buy getting a key caught in there and pulling on your key ring. I have even made it go snap by bumping into the corner of a desk with the pistol in my pocket in dockers. A quality pocket holster is very inexpensive and can be life saving. That is why I rant and rave anytime I get the chance to say please don't carry without a holster if you are going to carry one in the chamber.

[​IMG]

-Scott

18. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I've carried in the pocket with the Nemesis, now mostly with a K&D 2 in 1 pocket holster (much recommended). I honestly can say I understand. Sitting down to Thanksgiving with your loved ones, knowing a round of 380 hollowpoint is in the chamber, the barrel covering a family member, well, it can be disconcerting. But to me, I have to just relax and understand that the folding knife in my pocket is just as likely to jump out of my pocket, open itself, and fling itself across the table as a properly holstered P3-AT is to pulling its own trigger, drawing its own hammer back, and firing on its own accord.

But I totally empathize with the fears. I've found myself wondering how many wooden pews it would take to stop an "accidental discharge" when at church. It is somewhat irrational if you have a good holster, but I completely understand the fears.

19. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I ALWAYS carry a round in the chamber, and the pistol in a nemesis holster. The chances of the
    gun going off without pulling the trigger is about the same as a hammer hitting me on the thumb
    when it is sitting in the closed tool box. You don't know the situation that might happen and you
    can't get a round chambered. Like being cramped behind the steering wheel and not enough room
    to extend your arms to slingshot the slide. What would happen if a pit bull came out of nowhere and
    grabbed a hold of your hand or arm? How are you going to get a round in the chamber? What happens
    if out of the shadows a bad guy swings a knife at you and badly cuts your non-shooting arm in a surprise
    attack. How are you going to get a round in the chamber to fend him off and save your life with one arm?
    I carry a Speer GDHP in the pipe followed by 6 FMJ rounds. I never want to be in a compromise situation
    and have an empty gun. Stop stop the nervousness, put a round in the chamber, and carry it in Condition One
    constantly to boost your confidence in carrying the gun ready to save your life or the lives of your family members.
    Ohio Rusty

20. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I made this one, was easy to make ,works well and was cheap;
    http://www.ktog.org/pocketholster.htm