Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my PMR seems to work. It fires and ejects. I have on been shooting CCI Maxi Mag 22 WMR HP 40 gr. I understand many of you are having trouble with your PMR 30.

Here is a way that might work to help diagnose FTE issues.

1. Make gun safe
2. Field strip gun
3. Reinstall barrel into slide. Do not use the Barrel Block (item 151 in the exploded view)
4. Slide barrel forward in slide
5. Gently place a 22WMR cartridge in chamber
6. Slowly and gentle slide barrel back towards breach face.
7. Press it back (do not put finger over end of barrel)
8. Observe claws click over rim of cartridge.
9. Slowly slide barrel away from break face.
10. Cartridge should stay in place and be firmly held against the breach face by the extractor claws and not move as the barrel is pulled away.
11. With the barrel all the way forward the cartridge should just be suspended in space by extractor claws.
12. Remove cartridge by tipping bullet of the cartridge up or down.
13. Reassemble the PMR 30.
14. Make sure it is safe.
15. Store it.

I suspect that if you PMR can do this then any problem with FTE is not due to the extractor claws. If you PMR can not do the above test you may have a problem related to extracotr claws.

It could be the ammo's rim is not wide enough. It could be that the cuts in the side of the chamber are out of spec. It could be something wrong with the claws or the springs for the claws.

I made a video but I can not figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was an excellent idea and I just broke out the gun, some ammo, my opti-visor, and gave it a try. My observations are below - but the short of it is that it appears something, and possibly *several* things out of whack - quite possibly the interior top of the slide, or the top of the barrel.

First and foremost - there is virtually ZERO extractor tension on the cases I tried. (CCI Maxi-Mags) Frankly, it is shocking that the extractors are even helping to remove the case at all - and I'm wondering if the ejection occurring during firing isn't more related the empty cases simply blowing back until they strike the ejector, with very little assistance from the extractors at all. I need to repeat this - it is *shocking* that, given a DUAL extractor setup on the slide, the minimal tension (at best) on the case rim. I would rate the tension as a 1 on a scale of 100. While ensuring that the barrel hood was at all times pushed up, into contact with the inside top of the slide, when holding the slide in its right side up position, the cartridges literally fall off as soon as the nose of the bullet clears the rear of barrel - the extractors are holding virtually nothing.

Here is what I've observed:

- The left extractor is seemingly doing nothing. It is barely (sometimes) making contact with the left rim. Even then, its profile is rounded in a way that looks like even if it were property tensioned to hold the rim, its rounded nature seems like it would slip easily off regardless.

- BOTH extractors appear to be holding the cartridge in the wrong positions on the case rim - around at the 11 oclock and 2 oclock positions - and not at 9 and 3 oclock as would seem logical.

- Looking at the relationship between the base of the case and the breach face - it does not look like the cartridge is sitting in the correct position against the breach face - it appears to be sitting low. This is consistent with the empty cases I'd picked up at the range that seemed to have the bare minimum of firing pin strike indentations. (not depth - they were plenty deep, but measured in from the edge of the case rim, not very wide at all - almost like tiny squares - not rectangles as most rimfires show...) While I had no misfires in about 80 rounds, I recall thinking at the range (when looking at the empties) that the impact dents from the firing pin were very close to the edge... This (the cartridge appearing to not sit quite high enough against the breach face) would explain this, as the 12 oclock position firing pin would be hitting just the very tip top edge of the rim if the case was sitting to low.

- When the barrel is fully rearward, it actually pushes the extractors out to the sides and they seem to be making ZERO contact with the case. Moving the barrel forward allows the extractors to "snap" inward and make contact with the case rim, although this seems unusual.

I'm not a firearms designer and I have no way of knowing if the observations above are intentional and correct or not. Having said this, my theories are as follows:

- the extractors are poorly designed in shape and thickness, and are NOT gripping the case at the correct position on the case rim (gripping too high at 2 and 11 oclock versus 9 and 3...) - leading to extremely poor extractor tension.

- The extractor cuts in the barrel are too shallow - leading to the extractors not even making contact with the rim until after the ejection cycle has started and slide is moving rearward.

- The extractor cuts in the slide are too wide and/or the thickness of the extractors is too thin, allowing the extractors to "float" up and down in the slide, exasperating the issue above, especially given that the extractor spring tension is going to lead to them "floating" in the direction least resistance - which on a rounded, slick surface, would be "up" towards the top of the radius of the case - where they would have less "grip".

- (This seems like the biggie...) Either the barrel hood top is too tall, and/or the inside top of the slide is milled too shallow, leading to the barrel sitting lower in the slide than it should (in relation to the breach face), causing the base of the cartridge to not sit in the correct place against the breach face - which would also explain extractors sitting too high on the case rim, and firing pin dents on the minimal side of things from the edge of the rim towards the center of the case.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You really should have your videos hosted elsewhere like Youtube or Photobucket...and link it here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
- BOTH extractors appear to be holding the cartridge in the wrong positions on the case rim - around at the 11 oclock and 2 oclock positions - and not at 9 and 3 oclock as would seem logical.
Upon close observation my extractor claws are grabbing the rim at 10 and 2.

The extractor claw on the ejection port side does not have as good of contact with the rim as the claw on the other side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.