Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
This is my first post. I am delighted to have found this group. I have been reading and learning and it sounds like my situation is not unique. Please allow me to share my story...the problem and the resolution.

On March 25, 2017 I purchased two new Kel-tec guns, a CMR 30 and a PRM 30, from a dealer at a local gun show. After getting them home, I loaded the magazine with 20 rounds of approved ammo following the instructions for said loading of the magazines. I started with the PMR. It would not feed (FTFD). Pulling the slide back and releasing, the ammo only inserts about 1/2 way and stops/jams with the casing sitting with the back end low. I cleaned and lubed (Rem-oil) all associated parts. Same problem. Locking the slide back and dropping the magazine the ammo easily drops into the chamber and easily slides out. The shell casing appears to have stress marks on them, are slightly bent, looking like they were being forced in at an angle. I then took a second magazine and tried it, same problem. I was using CCI 40 grain magnums (both JHP and TMJ)...both reacted the same way.

I swapped magazines, swapped ammo, tried it with only 5 rounds and then with 20 rounds...no joy. Same FTFD (failure to feed) problem. Some of the ammo was actually forced so hard the casing was bent at a slight angle. Fortunately I did not have any accidental discharges.

After giving up, I pulled out the CMR, inserted the magazine and the first one loaded without issue. Pulling back on the operating handle it ejected without issue and loaded the next one. Then, it started jamming just like the PMR. I attempted to load numerous times with the same results. I spend about an hour with this one and the exact problem I was having with the PRM was happening on the CMR. I was not a happy camper.

I contacted Kel-Tec and never got the warm and fuzzies from the person I was communicating with. I was made to feel like I was doing something wrong. I was repeatedly asked about the ammo and how I was racking the slide. OH...and yes...I was tapping the magazine on the table while loading, etc, etc... Never once was there an apology. I was contacted several days later and told that my return for repair request had been approved and they emailed me a shipping label.

It took them 44 days to repair them. They are now back in my possession. Both the PMR 30 and CMR 30 were new, never fired by me. I never could get them to load...nothing but jams.

I find it amazing that both guns I purchased had to have parts replaced and work done in order to make them work correctly. I am concerned about their QC...also their level of customer service sucks (IMO). Never an apology and when I would call to check on the progress, I always felt like my call was an inconvenience. ...sigh...... Below is a list of the repair order notes for each gun. Keeping in mind these were brand new!

CMR 30 (rifle): Polished the feed ramp, replace internal parts, chamber serviced, replaced bolt catch, updated the frame, serviced the barrel and bolt and polished the chamber lip.

PRM 30 (pistol): Replaced the slide and barrel, replaced internal parts, replaced firing pin, serviced extractors, polished the feed ramp and chamber lip.

That is a CRAZY amount of work for something brand new. I am having to question exactly how they were able to fire them before they were sent out to the dealer. I do admit, that both guns feel much smoother and I was able to rack a dozen or so bullets through each gun without a jam or problem.

This past weekend I finally had the opportunity run about 50 rounds through each gun. No real problems noted except when my wife would shoot the PMR...a couple of FTEJ (extract). This problem cleared up when she held the gun with a tighter grip. I was amazed at the accuracy of the CMR. So, at this point I am pleased with both guns and very happy with the way they are performing.

I can understand having a quality control issue from time to time...but since I got double dipped...it makes me scratch my head! Even so, had the level of customer service communication been great I would have felt much better about all of it. Employees don’t seem to understand that it is us, the paying customer, that keeps them employed and employers should realize that exceptional customer service can make up for a product that slipped through the QC crack...

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this group and for sharing my situation. Now I can return to reading all the CMR and PMR posts!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad you got your issues resolved. One thing I will make note of. If you have a jam, best to remove the next round too. As you noticed, the feed issue will dent the next case. That can result in a the next round failing to feed and so on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry you had problems. Uhhm, I sent my feather ind at9 9mm carbine in better than a year ago and am still hoping they some day send it fixed back to me. So I I'm just saying. That's a different outfit of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Those casings do dent very easily!

Glad you got your issues resolved. One thing I will make note of. If you have a jam, best to remove the next round too. As you noticed, the feed issue will dent the next case. That can result in a the next round failing to feed and so on.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had similar issues with my new CMR, so I sent it back for warranty repairs.

I've never fired my PMR, and I probably won't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post. I am delighted to have found this group. I have been reading and learning and it sounds like my situation is not unique. Please allow me to share my story...the problem and the resolution.

On March 25, 2017 I purchased two new Kel-tec guns, a CMR 30 and a PRM 30, from a dealer at a local gun show. After getting them home, I loaded the magazine with 20 rounds of approved ammo following the instructions for said loading of the magazines. I started with the PMR. It would not feed (FTFD). Pulling the slide back and releasing, the ammo only inserts about 1/2 way and stops/jams with the casing sitting with the back end low. I cleaned and lubed (Rem-oil) all associated parts. Same problem. Locking the slide back and dropping the magazine the ammo easily drops into the chamber and easily slides out. The shell casing appears to have stress marks on them, are slightly bent, looking like they were being forced in at an angle. I then took a second magazine and tried it, same problem. I was using CCI 40 grain magnums (both JHP and TMJ)...both reacted the same way.

I swapped magazines, swapped ammo, tried it with only 5 rounds and then with 20 rounds...no joy. Same FTFD (failure to feed) problem. Some of the ammo was actually forced so hard the casing was bent at a slight angle. Fortunately I did not have any accidental discharges.

After giving up, I pulled out the CMR, inserted the magazine and the first one loaded without issue. Pulling back on the operating handle it ejected without issue and loaded the next one. Then, it started jamming just like the PMR. I attempted to load numerous times with the same results. I spend about an hour with this one and the exact problem I was having with the PRM was happening on the CMR. I was not a happy camper.

I contacted Kel-Tec and never got the warm and fuzzies from the person I was communicating with. I was made to feel like I was doing something wrong. I was repeatedly asked about the ammo and how I was racking the slide. OH...and yes...I was tapping the magazine on the table while loading, etc, etc... Never once was there an apology. I was contacted several days later and told that my return for repair request had been approved and they emailed me a shipping label.

It took them 44 days to repair them. They are now back in my possession. Both the PMR 30 and CMR 30 were new, never fired by me. I never could get them to load...nothing but jams.

I find it amazing that both guns I purchased had to have parts replaced and work done in order to make them work correctly. I am concerned about their QC...also their level of customer service sucks (IMO). Never an apology and when I would call to check on the progress, I always felt like my call was an inconvenience. ...sigh...... Below is a list of the repair order notes for each gun. Keeping in mind these were brand new!

CMR 30 (rifle): Polished the feed ramp, replace internal parts, chamber serviced, replaced bolt catch, updated the frame, serviced the barrel and bolt and polished the chamber lip.

PRM 30 (pistol): Replaced the slide and barrel, replaced internal parts, replaced firing pin, serviced extractors, polished the feed ramp and chamber lip.

That is a CRAZY amount of work for something brand new. I am having to question exactly how they were able to fire them before they were sent out to the dealer. I do admit, that both guns feel much smoother and I was able to rack a dozen or so bullets through each gun without a jam or problem.

This past weekend I finally had the opportunity run about 50 rounds through each gun. No real problems noted except when my wife would shoot the PMR...a couple of FTEJ (extract). This problem cleared up when she held the gun with a tighter grip. I was amazed at the accuracy of the CMR. So, at this point I am pleased with both guns and very happy with the way they are performing.

I can understand having a quality control issue from time to time...but since I got double dipped...it makes me scratch my head! Even so, had the level of customer service communication been great I would have felt much better about all of it. Employees don’t seem to understand that it is us, the paying customer, that keeps them employed and employers should realize that exceptional customer service can make up for a product that slipped through the QC crack...

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this group and for sharing my situation. Now I can return to reading all the CMR and PMR posts!

I sometimes think that guns bought at gun shows may be older stock, although that's hard to believe because it was difficult to buy a CRM30. Took me 2 years to get my CRM30, and it had a broken bolt hold open part. Kel Tec service was blistering fast and I am well pleased

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.