Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy let me shoot him PMR30 a few weeks back at a range trip and asked me to just dump what was in the mag at 5? yards.. Holy Cow..
I looked around for awhile and found them for a little over $400 and $450 locally. A call to a neighboring town found one at $330 and I picked it up. Its black, not my fave.. But I intend to coat it unless Kel_Tec starts selling the OD frame soon. (they won't I'm sure)
I have not had this one out yet but was wondering what your PMR's like to eat? We were shooting Hornady Critical defense that day I think but he said over 40GR is what to look for...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've never shot anything in mine but CCI Maxi Mags both hollow point and fmj.

I've just picked up I think about 1200 rounds because they were still selling online at Bass Pro Shop for about what they were before, $10.99 for 50.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked up some Maxi mags at Walmart earlier today but Bass Pro is out where I live.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have tried several different brands and types of ammo in mine. Stick with high velocity ammo with 40 grain or heavier bullet. CCI 40Gr Maxi Mags are the goto ammo for the PMR and CMR. The 40Gr Maxi Mags just work. Other brands of high velocity ammo works too, just stick with 40Gr or heavier. The 40Gr Maxi Mags also work well with a micro reflex/red dot mounted using the Tanner mount.

I had issues with the 36Gr CCI Maxi Mag ammo and with Speer Gold Dot ammo. The Gold Dots are only advertised at 1050FPS which is too slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sometimes shoot X22MSUB Subsonic 22 Magnum 45 Grain JHP. Winchester Ammo in my CMR30 w/ suppressor. Must manually cycle the action, but not too bad. I place a CCI Maxi Mag for the last round, which cycles the action, but a bit noisy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
At my local Wally Worlds the CCI Maxi Mags are 10.57 for fmj and 10.97 for jhp all of the time. Can't find more than 4 or 5 boxes of each type at a time though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not had this one out yet but was wondering what your PMR's like to eat? We were shooting Hornady Critical defense that day I think but he said over 40GR is what to look for...
I have the FDE color, paid $349 2 1/2 years ago already. What do I run in it? Pretty much anything. My favorites are 50g Federal, and 45g Hornady. Not much of a CCI fan, but I have shot some of it. I've also run mixed mags, with 50,45,40 and 30grain, hollow and fmj. No malfunctions. I didn't start running the 30g stuff till I had about 500 rounds through it. I've also run Winchester, Fiocchi, Aguilla, Remington. Don't know why, but the Aguilla and Winchester were the only problematic brands I've ever used. I pretty much stick with the Federal, Hornady and Fiocchi in that order of preference.

Good luck with it. I had a few feed issues with my first 2-3 mags, but that was likely a loading issue on my part. I also no longer load 30, what's the point? A box is 50, so I do mags of 25; easier on the thumbs. Starts to get a bit tight at about 20-22 rounds. It is a lot of fun, and actually quite the accurate little monster too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A buddy let me shoot him PMR30 a few weeks back at a range trip and asked me to just dump what was in the mag at 5? yards.. Holy Cow..
I looked around for awhile and found them for a little over $400 and $450 locally. A call to a neighboring town found one at $330 and I picked it up. Its black, not my fave.. But I intend to coat it unless Kel_Tec starts selling the OD frame soon. (they won't I'm sure)

·
Registered
7 Posts
federal makes a 50gr game shok that feeds nicely, better that cci maxi mag IMO.
shy away from winchester 40 gr super X, not sure if i got a bad batch, but it wont cycle my PMR or CMR despite it being 40gr

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been shooting Armscor, Remington, CCI Choot-em 40 gr. No problems with any of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
federal makes a 50gr game shok that feeds nicely, better that cci maxi mag IMO.
shy away from winchester 40 gr super X, not sure if i got a bad batch, but it wont cycle my PMR or CMR despite it being 40gr
I had problems with Win white box 22 WMR also would not cycle, glad I only bought 1 50 round box.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought three or four boxes of the Winchester and the one box I tried was crap. I guess I will save the others for emergency last resort single shot. Won't buy again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use Federal Game Shock 40gr FMJ along with quite a few other rounds. I ordered 500 rounds of Federal today from SG Ammo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Armscor and Winchester Super X, both 40 gr jhp, work great for me. Maxi Mags did, too, but the last time I looked they were over $.40 each. My local Walmarts are always empty of 22 ammo. Hornady and Browning both had failure to feed issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Armscor and Winchester Super X, both 40 gr jhp, work great for me. Maxi Mags did, too, but the last time I looked they were over $.40 each. My local Walmarts are always empty of 22 ammo. Hornady and Browning both had failure to feed issues.
I guess I've been very lucky, but I have bought 850 rounds of Maxi Mags at two Walmarts in the last 40 days at an average of $.22 per round, I agree that the Armscor work amazingly well also, but I have not seen them for over 8 months. I couldn't get the Winchesters to work, though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Believe it or not, there's a benefit to ammo that doesn't work well. Take it to the range for practice. Then, when it fails, which will happen without warning, practice your tap, rack, bang.

Before you leave the range, load up your mags with your best ammo. Then, if it ever fails when you need it, you'll be a pro at tap, rack, bang.

Maybe some of you saw that video of the lady deputy who had to do it in a real situation when the perp was coming after her, she was emptying her mag into him, and he wouldn't go down. I can't find that vid anymore, but if somebody can, I'd love to see it again if you could post the link.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts