Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent in my PMR-30 for repair in mid July, got to Kel-Tec on the 14th. Was told it would be about 5 weeks for repair. Around the 4 week mark I called to check on the repair time, they said they had not looked at it yet, but would be 2 weeks due to PMR-30's getting an upgrade. I called 2 weeks after that and they gave me the same story with the same timeline of 2 more weeks. I called recently asking why the turnaround time kept shifting, and one of the tech support guys said "there are part revisions and we need to make sure the upgrades will work." He did not give me a turnaround time, but said they are looking at guns from early July right now.

I know that times are crazy, still I'm not pleased with the turnaround on repairs from Kel-Tec. I hope these upgrades are worth the wait, especially in terms of reliability. Does anyone have any idea of what these upgrades to the PMR-30 might be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I talked to someone from Kel-Tec yesterday, and they said that two of the upgrades were to the barrel and barrel block and that they were working on cycling issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
one good item about Kel-tec, I ordered spare parts and got them in 4 days, and quite a list of PMR-30 parts, including two firing pins, 12 line items, 15 parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my PMR-30 back from Kel-Tec after 2 and a half months. In the repair ticket, they said that they upgraded the firing pin, barrel, barrel block, and rim support block (not sure what this is, not in the parts list in the Kel-Tec manual). They also replaced the buffer and polished the feed ramp. They said they test fired it with no malfunctions, and I can tell because there was plenty of "rimfire dust" on the inside of the slide that wasn't there before. Also plenty of lubrication on all metal on the inside of the gun. I tried to upload pictures, but it keeps telling me there was a problem uploading my files, so not sure how to upload pictures. I'll let you all know how test firing went.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well test firing went terrible. I tried manually cycling the slide before going out to the range, and rounds were getting hung up with the nose striking the roof of the chamber, causing failures to feed. Pulling back the slide to the absolute rearward limit of travel seemed to solve this issue and the round would feed. There was also failures to extract with the extractors not grabbing the rounds, leaving them in the chamber. I used CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr Jacketed Hollow Point. Upon getting to the range, the same malfunctions happened with live fire. Every round had a malfunction, either the two mentioned before, or it wouldn't even feed from the magazine. It's didn't make much of a difference taking my optic off (I have a Holosun 508T-GR), the most consecutive rounds I could fire without a malfunction was 15, and that was with nothing on the slide. I fired 75 rounds. Is there some sort of break-in period with these upgraded parts? I also noticed that it was MUCH more difficult to rack the slide. I tried cycling a few rounds manually without the recoil spring, and there were no malfunctions. I suspect that the new barrel block upgrade somehow caused the original recoil springs and guide rod to be too powerful for reliable cycling.

Anyone have any ideas? Cut recoil spring maybe? I don't want to spend more time and $ sending this thing back to Kel-Tec AGAIN to sit for months on end, only to have it come back worse then before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well test firing went terrible. I tried manually cycling the slide before going out to the range, and rounds were getting hung up with the nose striking the roof of the chamber, causing failures to feed. Pulling back the slide to the absolute rearward limit of travel seemed to solve this issue and the round would feed. There was also failures to extract with the extractors not grabbing the rounds, leaving them in the chamber. I used CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr Jacketed Hollow Point. Upon getting to the range, the same malfunctions happened with live fire. Every round had a malfunction, either the two mentioned before, or it wouldn't even feed from the magazine. It's didn't make much of a difference taking my optic off (I have a Holosun 508T-GR), the most consecutive rounds I could fire without a malfunction was 15, and that was with nothing on the slide. I fired 75 rounds. Is there some sort of break-in period with these upgraded parts? I also noticed that it was MUCH more difficult to rack the slide. I tried cycling a few rounds manually without the recoil spring, and there were no malfunctions. I suspect that the new barrel block upgrade somehow caused the original recoil springs and guide rod to be too powerful for reliable cycling.

Anyone have any ideas? Cut recoil spring maybe? I don't want to spend more time and $ sending this thing back to Kel-Tec AGAIN to sit for months on end, only to have it come back worse then before.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Does it malfunction that bad with every brand of ammo? My Ruger 22/45 HATES .22 Thunderbolts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted Kel-Tec customer service. They were excellent this time around, had the PMR30 at the factory and back in my hands in less then 1 week. They included 2 replacement magazine springs, and noted that 2 technicians had fired the gun with no malfunctions. When I tested it out with the Holosun 508T-GR mounted on to it, I had one magazine fail to feed from the magazine after 2rds, and the other fail to feed from the magazine after 12rds. Both mags were loaded with CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr Jacketed Hollow Point, and both had the upgraded springs installed. I tried Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain FTX bullets, but they wouldn't even feed after 1rd. I took off the Holosun 508T-GR and the magazine that failed to feed after 2 rds ran flawlessly with no malfunctions.

The total weight of my optic and lightweight mount (thanks Greg Tanner!)is 2.3oz. Optic and screws for the optic alone weight 1.9oz. I thought that this was under the max weight for the slide. Is this a weight issues or could something else be causing this?

Picture below is optic and mount weight, along with the upgraded spring. The upgraded one is the longer one on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do believe that Kel-Tec recommends staying at 2 ounces or less for a red dot and mount. My Tanner mount and Swampfox Kingslayer is right at 1.8 ounces and it will definitely malfunction when the pistol is dirty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you mount it on the bottom?
It would be pretty useless as an optic if it was mounted to the bottom rail.

I do believe that Kel-Tec recommends staying at 2 ounces or less for a red dot and mount. My Tanner mount and Swampfox Kingslayer is right at 1.8 ounces and it will definitely malfunction when the pistol is dirty.
I was gonna ask you about that optic. How many rounds can you put through your PMR with that optic without cleaning it before it malfunctions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It starts having feeding issues once I hit about 150-180 rounds (5-6 magazines) without cleaning.
Have you tried a bore snake? They clean the bore faster than you can refill a mag. Cleaning at the range while things are warm is like the difference between cleaning a pan right after cooking or leaving it sit all night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you tried a bore snake? They clean the bore faster than you can refill a mag. Cleaning at the range while things are warm is like the difference between cleaning a pan right after cooking or leaving it sit all night.
No I haven't tried a bore snake yet. I really need to get one. To be honest, I don't remember how well I cleaned the pistol up before installing the mount and RDS. It could have been a little dirty in the slide/rail area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts