Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20190126_113606.jpg
20190126_151751.jpg
Glad I found this forum, lots of experience and info to dig through. Just wish I had found it before I took some other advice...
Had (still have) terrible ftf issues with my pmr30, so it was suggested that I grind down the lower third of the barrel and ramp so the bullets can more easily enter the barrel. I have not fired the gun yet, and am now questioning if I'm going to have powder blowing back towards me or damaging my firearm by removing what I did? I don't have a problem buying a new barrel if necessary. Just looking for some advice. Thanks. And yes I know it will be buffed as smooth as imaginable. After further reading I found that the gouging, pounding of the slide is also not normal and could be part of the ftf as well, possibly preventing the bullets to slide up level enough to enter the barrel with little resistance.
20190126_113606.jpg
20190126_151751.jpg
20190124_131613.jpg
Any thoughts?
20190124_131613.jpg
20190124_131613.jpg

·
Administrator
31,990 Posts
A bit late now, but I would have taken advantage of the lifetime warranty and sent it back for service.

Reactions: Briggs3269

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a bit late but my slide (breech face) was as beat up as yours and I really think that is the main cause of the feed issues. I need to test some more but I just have not found the time. I modified my stock barrel very similar to yours and it fed reliably even with the scarred breech face. I have an unmodified threaded barrel that I need to test with my now cleaned up breech face just to see if it will feed reliably. I'll probably modify the barrel anyway afterward no matter what the results are just to maximize reliability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Use a Dremel and buff that feed lip to a high brilliant polish.

I use Mothers metal polish on high speed. Works like a charm.

I do this to all my iron...CZ, Sigs, Rugers.

Never ever a feed issue with any kind of ammo - hollow points vs round nose.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Be advised a dremmel and inexperience can remove material too aggressively. A 800-1000 grit piece sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel the approximate same diameter as the ramp is a good way to accomplish this and not remove too much material and damage the ramp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've not had an issue and the polishing is way more safe than using sandpaper for polishing and NOT removing hardly any metal. Granted it depends on how much you polish and how hard you bring the pressure, but that's true with sandpaper too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts