PMR 30 ramp & barrel rework.

Discussion in 'PMR-30' started by PrairieSmoke, Jan 28, 2019.

1. PrairieSmoke

PrairieSmoke Member

Jan 22, 2019
    20190126_113606.jpg 20190126_151751.jpg Glad I found this forum, lots of experience and info to dig through. Just wish I had found it before I took some other advice...
    Had (still have) terrible ftf issues with my pmr30, so it was suggested that I grind down the lower third of the barrel and ramp so the bullets can more easily enter the barrel. I have not fired the gun yet, and am now questioning if I'm going to have powder blowing back towards me or damaging my firearm by removing what I did? I don't have a problem buying a new barrel if necessary. Just looking for some advice. Thanks. And yes I know it will be buffed as smooth as imaginable. After further reading I found that the gouging, pounding of the slide is also not normal and could be part of the ftf as well, possibly preventing the bullets to slide up level enough to enter the barrel with little resistance. 20190126_113606.jpg 20190126_151751.jpg 20190124_131613.jpg Any thoughts? 20190124_131613.jpg 20190124_131613.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A bit late now, but I would have taken advantage of the lifetime warranty and sent it back for service.

Briggs3269 likes this.

3. FXUccpazJFJXxZYs

FXUccpazJFJXxZYs Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I thought about doing this to mitigate some of the FTF problems I have.

4. PrairieSmoke

PrairieSmoke Member

Jan 22, 2019
    That was my purpose of modification. Does your slide look like mine also?

5. ElleInAHandbasket

ElleInAHandbasket Member

Apr 20, 2019
    You really should go back with sandpaper and polish that feed ramp till it’s smooth.

6. I polished mine after shooting it alot. It didn't need it but I lile to tinker.

Jacob

7. ybysaiah

ybysaiah Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Virginia
    I'm a bit late but my slide (breech face) was as beat up as yours and I really think that is the main cause of the feed issues. I need to test some more but I just have not found the time. I modified my stock barrel very similar to yours and it fed reliably even with the scarred breech face. I have an unmodified threaded barrel that I need to test with my now cleaned up breech face just to see if it will feed reliably. I'll probably modify the barrel anyway afterward no matter what the results are just to maximize reliability.

8. hANNAbONE

hANNAbONE Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Use a Dremel and buff that feed lip to a high brilliant polish.

I use Mothers metal polish on high speed. Works like a charm.

I do this to all my iron...CZ, Sigs, Rugers.

Never ever a feed issue with any kind of ammo - hollow points vs round nose.

YMMV

9. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    Be advised a dremmel and inexperience can remove material too aggressively. A 800-1000 grit piece sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel the approximate same diameter as the ramp is a good way to accomplish this and not remove too much material and damage the ramp.

10. hANNAbONE

hANNAbONE Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I've not had an issue and the polishing is way more safe than using sandpaper for polishing and NOT removing hardly any metal. Granted it depends on how much you polish and how hard you bring the pressure, but that's true with sandpaper too.