Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had about 350 rounds of BVAC JHP and 50 rounds of CCI MAXIMAG through my pistol when I had an out of battery detonation. This caused the case head to rupture, blew hot gases through the gun and caused the slide stop button to fly off the stop and disappear. I left the gun in the condition that it was in , ruptured case still in the chamber and sent it back to the factory yesterday. I did take pics but when I went to down load them tonight they had been corrupted.

I had mounted a Fastfire II RDS on the gun with a Factory optic mount. I had about 150 rounds through the gun with the optic on the gun and it was mounted when I had the incident.

I spoke with the factory and they said turnaround should be 4-6 weeks. We'll see.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Samething happened to me. It did take a month to get it back.
Then the slide pin broke, then the front fiber optic sight went on a trip of its own.
Since all of this I have about 400 rds thru it and so far all is good.
KT will make it right for you also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gino, thanks for the heads up!! It's nice to hear from those with similare experiences.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who knows? The Burris Fastfire is approved by KelTec and it is using a mount purchased from them. What good is this gun if accessories impair the function of it?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am thinking of picking one of these up if they ever become available. Interested in seeing how this turns out for you. And yes you are right what good is it if accessories impair function

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine did the same thing right after I got it back from KT for a FTE issue.

KT sent me a new button in the mail & I Gorilla Glued it on. No further problems but only have maybe 150-200 rds thru it so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1hndgn

The little black slide release button (left side of frame just forward of the safety). It's press fitted to a metal "prong" that releases the slide when pushed downward.

See the original post by mercman. His explanation is exactly what happened to my PMR.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The slide stop is a piece of sheet metal with a plastic 'button' that slides onto a tab to allow the operator acuate or release the slide. My button popped off when the kaboom happened and I couldn't find it. Sounds like a common occurrance so uncle just glue it on to prevent this from happening. I'll probably do the same with mine when it comes back.............

·
Registered
221 Posts
is there a diffrence in the earlyer slide pins and the newer ones? can i tell if mine has the upgraded one is the real question ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So these guns that are blowing up are older i'm guessing? I'm waiting on one at my local shop but this makes me a little nervous. I emailed Kal Tec and they said all the bugs have been worked out and the guns work perfect now. Any of the newer guns having problems?

·
Registered
221 Posts
:Dless than number 50 and never a problem,,yall aint gettin me nervous,,,yet!
i will go run a mag thru it as fast as i can in a few hrs to feel more secure about it tho .
seems a lot of folks run 2-3-and 4 mags thru them fast as they can and then there problem,s occur..maybe it gets to hot..i never run more than a full mag then give it a few minutes before doing it again..
wonder if theres something to that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:Dless than number 50 and never a problem,,yall aint gettin me nervous,,,yet!
i will go run a mag thru it as fast as i can in a few hrs to feel more secure about it tho .
seems a lot of folks run 2-3-and 4 mags thru them fast as they can and then there problem,s occur..maybe it gets to hot..i never run more than a full mag then give it a few minutes before doing it again..
wonder if theres something to that?
Again, what good is a gun that has to be babied by 'letting it cool off' before putting rounds through it? Come on!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hot barrels cause "COOK-OFF". Not OOB detonations. Most folks don't realize how dirty rimfire ammo is .22WRM doesn't burn all it's powder until after 16 inches of barrel. The PMR's 4.5 inch barrel causes much more residue, my guess is that this weapon fires 100's of rounds of ammo in a very short time. The round which don't go all the way into the chamber (OOB) because of this build up of residue, may be causing "SLAM-FIRES" Run a boresnake thru your barrel after fireing several magazines.

·
Super Moderator
9,972 Posts
Again, what good is a gun that has to be babied by 'letting it cool off' before putting rounds through it? Come on!!
It's not a machine pistol. It's ultralight, so there's not much thermal mass. It heats quickly. It also has very high capacity magazines for a standard sized pistol. Three mags in rapid succession doesn't sound like much, but that's almost a hundred rounds. I have no desire to shoot the PMR-30 in that fashion. I don't see the 30 round mags as requiring fewer magazine changes to shoot 1000 rounds. I more see that feature as not needing to change mags in most real life situations. It's not marketed as a self defense weapon, but for those carrying a PMR-30 for defense, three rounds per assailant = ten assailants. :eek:

Hot barrels cause "COOK-OFF". Not OOB detonations.
I can imagine some possible issues where heat could cause close tolerance parts to be interference fit parts, and an out of battery cartridge ignition could theoretically occur.

Most folks don't realize how dirty rimfire ammo is...
Rimfire crud interfering with proper cycling does sound like a more likely explanation.

BTW - The slide stop is shaped like a slide release, but mine sure doesn't act like a slide release. I don't think of it as a slide release. I sling shot the slide to release it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very valid points liberty! RUN RON RUN! I think a lot of folks on this blog expect a rimfire cartridge to act like a relatively much cleaner center fire! I have several semi-auto long .22WRM guns and even with 16 inch plus (long eniough to burn all powder) barrels they tend to "gunk" up after prolonged shooting. Ruger discontinued their 10/22 magnum for this very reason! Too much shooting and not enough cleaning! Folks not properly maintaining their weapon, sending them back to the factory and then also converting them to .17 HMR.
The few .17 HMR versions that Ruger made has a different bolt than the .22WMR version, but people only bought an additional barrel in .17 HMR based on the advice of amatures and then wondered why they were having "KABOOMS" Hello. . . . . the bolt has to be changed too! I hope the "RMR" will put the 10/22 magnum to shame, but until I possess one, the Ruger 10/22 mag is a force to be reconed with, when you add Volqartson extended magazines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In this incident the pistol had been cleaned thoroughly and only had perhaps two mags shot down the spout. After reading about the difficulties that some had encountered with this platform I took extra care to maintain the weapon including field stripping and cleaning.

I'm more of deliberate shooter than a 'spray and pray' shooter so the weapon should not have been 'overheated'. Again what is this weapon designed to do? Obviously some will take advantage of the 30 round capacity to put a lot of rounds on target (or in the vicinity of the target) by rapid fire. My goal for this pistol is more as a back up to my varmint rifle and as an alternate for precision shots at small game.

The round that failed was not fully in battery hence my description as an OOB failure. I did not remove the casing from the chamber, but sent it 'as is' to the factory to determine the cause and effect of the failure. Perhaps KelTec will have a more descriptive analysis of the type of failure by physically inspecting the weapon instead of guessing by what they read.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts