Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my pmr 30 for 2 years, had plaguing problem of failure to feed. Contacted keltec customer service several times and was not impressed. They were rude and unprofessional, didn't offer any solutions, except to tell me to bite the bullet and pay 120 dollars to ship it back for the " free" warranty. I sold it dirt cheap... don't think I'll purchade another keltec firearm again, too much risk!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to ask.

What ammunition did you use?

Did you follow the instructions on properly loading the magazines?

I know that not all PMR30s will function with any bullet less than 40 grains in weight. They also need full power high velocity ammunition at least during break-in. Loading the magazines properly does make a difference.

I had issued with my PMR30 when I tried 30Gr CCI Mini Mags and also with the Speer Gold Dot 40Gr ammo. The reason the God Dots did not work is because velocity was on 1050fps.
After switching to 40Gr CCI Mini Mags, all my issues went away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to ask.

What ammunition did you use?

Did you follow the instructions on properly loading the magazines?

I know that not all PMR30s will function with any bullet less than 40 grains in weight. They also need full power high velocity ammunition at least during break-in. Loading the magazines properly does make a difference.

I had issued with my PMR30 when I tried 30Gr CCI Mini Mags and also with the Speer Gold Dot 40Gr ammo. The reason the God Dots did not work is because velocity was on 1050fps.
After switching to 40Gr CCI Mini Mags, all my issues went away.
Tried every ammo known to man
40 grain cci worked the best
Followed all protocalls on loading mags
Still had problems
Mcarbo has replacement parts to resolve issues
Found out one week after i sold it though
Thanks for responding

·
Registered
325 Posts
$120 seems high for shipping, outside of US?
Only reason I ask is I know there’s a big difference in cost depending on what carrier and how it’s shipped.
Only time I had to send a KT back was within a month of purchase, shipping paid for by KT. Fast turnaround.
PMRs are fun guns but they’re like old European sports cars, sometimes they require extra attention and there’s still no guarantee you’ll make it home.
FWIW my RIA XT-22 mag has had a trouble free break in and is WAY more accurate than my PMR as another autoloading pistol option. Just holds 17 fewer rounds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$120 seems high for shipping, outside of US?
Only reason I ask is I know there’s a big difference in cost depending on what carrier and how it’s shipped.
Only time I had to send a KT back was within a month of purchase, shipping paid for by KT. Fast turnaround.
PMRs are fun guns but they’re like old European sports cars, sometimes they require extra attention and there’s still no guarantee you’ll make it home.
FWIW my RIA XT-22 mag has had a trouble free break in and is WAY more accurate than my PMR as another autoloading pistol option. Just holds 17 fewer rounds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in michigan, keltec is in florida. Federal law says a pistol needs to be sent next day air , thus the high charge. Keltec can ship 2nd daywith a huge savings. Their useless customer service never offered that for a malfunctioning firearm that carries a lifetime warranty, or they could have asked me to pay for their shipping label, that would be something a reputable company would offer. Thanks for the advice, thing of looking into rock island 22 tcm / 9mm combo...
Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still own a sub 2000
After installing quality parts from Mcarbo
Great gun
Build a quality product
And stand behind it
I'm in
So yes, I'm done with keltec
Thank you

·
Registered
325 Posts
If the manufacturer won’t cover shipping, ship thru an FFL. That’s the cheapest even if your FFL hits you $20 for ‘paperwork’. This is one reason I do business with a small business gun shop. When I buy something from Academy Sports and there’s problems, I’m on my own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a new kid on the block here. Do not have a PMR-30 as yet, but the sooner I change that the better. I know the history of this piece had some challenges, but I had been led to believe they had been resolved. Then this is the first posting I see after joining the site. So, what is the current status of these issues ? Any help to the new kid will be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stick with good quality high velocity ammunition. 40 grain bullets or heavier are preferred. Some PMR's do not like anything lighter than 40 grains. Following the instructions and making sure that the magazines are loaded correctly is a must.

If you stick with the above, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a new kid on the block here. Do not have a PMR-30 as yet, but the sooner I change that the better. I know the history of this piece had some challenges, but I had been led to believe they had been resolved. Then this is the first posting I see after joining the site. So, what is the current status of these issues ? Any help to the new kid will be appreciated.
I've not had any problems with mine. I've had it for a couple of years. I have not shot it much lately, but I'm going to start shooting it more since .22 WMR ammo seems to be pretty available and not too jacked up in price.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks, Greg.
The only ammo I've ever used is CCI Maxi Mags 40 grain. I've used both the hollow points and total metal jacket. I usually don't load more than 20 rounds in mine.
Like I said, I hadn't shot it much lately, probably close to a year and i had 3 magazines that had been loaded all that time with 20 rounds each. A couple weeks ago I took it out and ran all 3 magazines and all ran perfect. I loaded up a couple more magazines again with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stick with good quality high velocity ammunition. 40 grain bullets or heavier are preferred. Some PMR's do not like anything lighter than 40 grains. Following the instructions and making sure that the magazines are loaded correctly is a must.

If you stick with the above, you shouldn't have any problems.
Appreciate the input. I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mcarbo accessories pack is 129.00 I think. It turns the pmr 30 into an ultra reliable killing machine. Plus there is a fun and easy video with step by step instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my PMR-30 Thursday. Field stripped and cleaned it Friday and shot it today. All .40 grain rounds.

Shot about 100 rounds with two failure to feeds. I could see that the round didn’t rise up in magazine correctly. I believe I loaded it correctly. (Buy the Maglula PMR specific loader!!!!)

Was very very accurate and fun to shoot. Sights are right on. Good thing because they are not really adjustable.

So far, I’m very happy with it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
2 failures out of 100 isn't bad especially for a brand new pistol. I'm sure once the pistol is broke in, it will be better.

I was getting several failures to feed per magazine with 30 grain CCI Maxi Mag and the standard velocity Speer Gold Dot ammo. Once I switched to the 40 grain CCI Maxi Mag TMJ ammo, my feeding problems went away.

When I bought my CMR30 and CP33, I loaded up the magazines to full capacity and let them sit for a few days before going to the range. I haven't had any problems with them using quality ammo. I use the same 40 grain Maxi Mags in the CMR as I do in the PMR.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts