Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a RDB today. While playing with it, I have found that PMags do not drop free with the bolt locked back. USGI mags drop, but no generation Pmag will.

I disassembled the gun to examine. With the lower off, a Pmag will drop out. When resembled, they stick.

Seems something is binding in the lower. Any ideas, I really don't want to have to send it back.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
My PMAGs fly out of the lower, locks the bolt open & does everything it is supposed to do?
What capacity PMAG? The 10 rounders are very light.
Will it drop with a few cartridges still in the mag?
Can't imagine a major flaw, probably just a little sandpaper treatment on the lower somewhere?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
This is odd. I got KT to send me a replacement mag catch. I would recommend you get a new one too. I can't think of anything else that would cause your issue.
Just tried mine. No issue with original catch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's funny, that with the lower off, the mags drop out.

When I put it back together, the pin hole do not line up exactly, and I have to kind of hammer the pins back in. This is causing me to believe something is binding.

But anyway, it's gonna have to goto the mother ship, cause its a jam-tastic jam machine. I could only fire one round at a time. Double feeds, fail to extract, ect. No matter what position the gas was on, or what ammo I used.

Damnit, this is my 4th Keltec this summer. I got a PMR, CMR, and Sub2k, and not a problem with a one of them.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Mine has hard pins too. I usually can get the forward pin in my hand the work the action applying pressure on the middle pin. At some point it slides in.
Most of my jams occur due to under-gassed settings.
One jam:
Revolver

This triple happened when I dropped the gas to -7. It works fine when I shoot within five clicks from full CCW (shooter POV). I think this is a FTE jamming into a double feed because both the un-ejected case neck and the bolt face strip a new round. Since the spent case didn't travel far enough to eject, it catches a new round on the forward travel and pushes the it into the chamber (I'm lucky it didn't fire off). Secondly, the bolt face strips another round and it goes to the side wedging into the breech. It was in so tight the case separated from the bullet and it took pliers to remove that ball.
Brass Ammunition Metal

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, nevermind the last post. I was adjusting the gas the wrong way.

But my PMags still won't drop free? This really bums me out. Sent a support ticket into KT. Haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I am starting to think that is the problem. I was shooting it today, and noticed that if I push the release to the left while pulling it back, the mag will drop.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
in the first picture i put up, the view in the mag well, you can seethe release clearly. Is yours similar or different?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my RDB--magazines won't drop free. As far as I can tell it is indeed the riveted sear bar; with the bolt back, the sear bar pinches the magazine and doesn't let it drop free. With the lower off, magazines drop out without issue, unless you hold the hammer back (moving the sear bar), which then pinches the magazine in.

I have a video of the issue, but I guess I can't post a link since I'm new here....

I sent in a ticket asking about the issue, and all I got back is standard shipping instructions with no comment on whether or not they're aware of the issue. I'd rather not have to ship the rifle back since I haven't really had any other problems, and I've got the Life Industries M-Lok rail installed and that thing's a bear to get on and off...

Has anyone figured out a simple fix for the issue?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I have not heard of any fix. This is another QC issue.
I would recommend asking if you can ship only the lower. They may replace the entire unit.
Another poster has sent the lower for an ejection well liner.

Reactions: 44Runner

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not heard of any fix. This is another QC issue.
Yeah, it seems to me that the sear should be running in a channel that's physically separated from the mag well, so even if it bends a little it wouldn't pinch into the mag.
I would recommend asking if you can ship only the lower. They may replace the entire unit.
Another poster has sent the lower for an ejection well liner.
I asked exactly that, and the reply I received was "I would really recommend sending the whole rifle in for service so that the gunsmith can test fire it before returning it to be sure everything is working as it should for you."

Maybe I'll just try being the first guinea pig to send in the rifle with the M-Lok handguard installed and see what happens? :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.