plus 1 magazine extender

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by thomc, Jul 21, 2010.

1. thomc

thomc New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    7 rounds will just fit.
    It doesn't matter if I use the new spring that came with the kit (which is a few turns longer than the factory) or if I use the factory spring. 7 rounds will just barely fit.

The problem is, when a round is chambered, the "extended mag" will not lock into the butt of the gun.
    There is no room for the rounds in the mag to compress against the... well, whatever it needs to compress against.
    Actually, I have not tried to insert the extended mag when no round is chambered but I don't think it would matter.

so, what gives?

Thanks

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Check and make sure you have the spring in the the correct way, also I would use the one that came with the kit. Just look at the follower to make sure the angle of the follower and spring match. It took me a few tries to get it assembled correctly.

Also it is possible that the "L" shaped metal part of the +1 kit is getting stuck on the grip, the part that holds the hammer spring. If this is the case you can file the "L" shaped part to an angel and also file a little bit of that part of the grip. I had to do a little work to get the +1 to fit in my P32 but the one for the P3at fit fine out of the box.

CJ

3. thomc

thomc New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    thanks.
    i'll inspect it more closely.

4. thomc

thomc New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    The problem is, the spring is getting stuck on itself or something inside the mag when it gets compressed by the bullets.

With the extended spring, the 7th bullet just fits and will not compress any further.
    I have tried all orientations of the spring inside the mag.

With the factory shorter spring, after fiddling for a couple of minutes, something broke free and allowed the 7th bullet to compress further so that the mag could be secured in the pistol.

There may be ftf issues with the last bullet as a result of the decreased spring tension when using the shorter factory spring.
    I have not tested it yet.

Any other ideas?

5. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Is he retaining plate flush with the bottom of the extension or at an angle? The round cut out on my plate was slightly oversized and had your problem since it wouldn't fit flush with exension. You can make the hole in the extension larger or make the punched cut-out smaller with a dremel tool needle file. I hope the info helps

Best Regards:

6. thomc

thomc New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Good tip.
    I'll check that tonight.

Thanks.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  8. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Try sanding the inside of the plastic extender base. My +1 extended worked great until I took it apart to clean it. Then it did the same thing your are describing, even after confirming I had put the spring back in correctly. The last round would not go into the mag. Turned out there must have been an undetectable bit of flash inside the plastic base that caused the spring to hang up, because it worked again after polishing the inside with an emery cloth.

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Make sure the steel locking plate is on the outside of the back of the mag, not inside. The bottom of the plate must be flush with the bottom of the aluminum extender. I think Kel-Tec has included an extra power mag spring with the +1 extender kit for years now. Originally it used the stock spring. Maybe that is just with the .32 kit, not the .380, not sure. I use the Wolff extra power mag spring with the +1 extender.

10. Zip196

Zip196 New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoFL

I tried to be slick and make it work with the plate inside and had similar problems as you, OP. Works like a charm now.

:cool: