Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I've had my P-3AT for some time now but haven't shot it much. Had some FTE issues that were fixed when I got a new extractor. From day one it has been tough to get rounds to feed properly. I've owned plenty of guns and I know how to F&B, and have done so, but it's still not feeding that great. I found that if I load 1-3 rounds in the magazine, it feeds fine when I rack the slide, but any more than that and it catches. This is more of an issue when hand racking the slide but it still does it sometimes when I'm shooting. I have tried 2 different magazines but I haven't replaced mag springs or anything.

Do you guys suggest more sanding of the feed ramp? Here is a picture of how it's hanging up. Thanks in advance, I'm a long time KT fan and KT shooter and am confident I can work this issue out.

[img=http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/56/56/3/94/45/2519394450048313471KgxsNc_th.jpg]

·
Registered
585 Posts
hydrilla said:
Hey folks,
I've had my P-3AT for some time now but haven't shot it much.  Had some FTE issues that were fixed when I got a new extractor.  From day one it has been tough to get rounds to feed properly.  I've owned plenty of guns and I know how to F&B, and have done so, but it's still not feeding that great.  I found that if I load 1-3 rounds in the magazine, it feeds fine when I rack the slide, but any more than that and it catches.  This is more of an issue when hand racking the slide but it still does it sometimes when I'm shooting.  I have tried 2 different magazines but I haven't replaced mag springs or anything.  

Do you guys suggest more sanding of the feed ramp?  Here is a picture of how it's hanging up.  Thanks in advance, I'm a long time KT fan and KT shooter and am confident I can work this issue out.

[img=http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/56/56/3/94/45/2519394450048313471KgxsNc_th.jpg]
Not to be disrespectful, but you might try Packer's recommended two handed grip. You basically pull back with you other hand cupping the front of your shooting hand. That gives you enough resistance to lock your wrist. Yeah, I didn't think I was "limp wristing" either. ::)

Other than that, try polishing the area of your slide pointed to in the image above. It rides over your incomming rounds as well as the hammer, so the smoother the better.

Oh, and a little high quality grease in that area seems to help too. As you can see from the picture, this gun may have a little too much grease, but the rails are important too.

You know everything is smooth enough when hand cycling reliably feeds a round even without a violent sling shot slide release. That's my story and I am sticking to it, because it works for me. ::)

Your mileage may differ, but be sure to try a wrist locking, two handed grip before you go too wild and crazy working on the gun itself.

TucsonMTB . . . whose shooter / P-3AT combination is now reliable

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
It sounds to me like you are ONLY having this problem when you rack the slide. Maybe you are riding the slide. Try sling shotting it. JUst pull it all the way back and let go.

These little guns have been known to hang up with hand racking. The main thing is, does it feed well when you actually SHOOT it!

Packer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
turbosupra1313 said:
i actually knew a guy who used one of those velcro casts you get when you sprain your wrist to train himself not to limp wrist..... worked damn well to even though he looked like an idiot for a while....
Isn't it amazing the length to which we will go, as a species, to achieve our goals. ::)

TucsonMTB . . . who may be a little compulsive sometimes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments. The problem did occur when shooting or just racking the slide manually, more infrequently when shooting but all of the time when loading a round manually. Admittedly I haven't been to the range since I just spent some more time with F&B, so maybe it's good to go now. Sounds like a good excuse to go shooting this weekend. Packer, I think you may be on the right track. I don't ride the slide, but since I posted this topic, I've tried more aggressively racking the slide, letting go with more of a snap, and it seems to load better.

By the way, I know I'm not above being succeptible to limp wristing. It has happened to me in the past, usually when I haven't been to the range in a while, and usually with something small for it's caliber, like a P-3AT, small 1911, etc. It can happen to the best of us ;)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
turbosupra1313 said:
ill tell ya what though, he is one hell of a shot with his P3AT.... its the reason i bought one.... but alas, im still 6 inches low at 10 feet..... i think im gunna install a tripod on my 3AT.......
LOL! A pocket model tripod, of course. ;D

What happens when your friend shoots it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
im thinking my 3AT is shooting low naturally because its not just me.... anyone know if this has ever been a problem?

Tucson- he shoots it low as well..... i might try putting it in a home made stand so it will not jump at all.....

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
turbosupra1313 said:
im thinking my 3AT is shooting low naturally because its not just me.... anyone know if this has ever been a problem?

Tucson-  he shoots it low as well..... i might try putting it in a home made stand so it will not jump at all.....
Dry fire practice with snap cap in chamber. Watch your muzzle at trigger let-off. You will find that the muzzle drops when the hammer falls.

Practice until sights stay on target when trigger is pulled. You will be AMAZED by how much your accuracy improves.

Packer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.