Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is do I have to fill out the form 1 or the form4 to change my plr to an sbr do that I can register it under me before it's made

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup. Fits just like it does on the rifle. You can mount it, and even put a buffer tube on it, without breaking the law. Just don't slip a stock on it (however tempting that may be) until you have your Form 1 and stamp in hand. Good news is, you can always put the original parts back on it and sell it as a pistol...if you were ever crazy enough to do that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Form 1 since you are the "maker". The Form 4 is for transferring an already existing SBR to another qualified person. Either form requires a $200 tax stamp.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

If you need help, let me know.
This was helpful for me: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form1.html

(My Form 1 requesting permission to make an SBR from my PLR-16 was submitted during the second week of January, and has been "pending" at NFA Branch since Valentine's Day. With my examiner's recent track record, this means I'm likely to get the approved form back in July or August, according to http://www.nfatracker.com.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Current wait times are running 6-7 months, so I think your expectations are correct. I remember when guys were grousing because it was taking 90 days to turn a Form 1 around.

The guntrustlawyer site has some very good information. Sturmgewehr.com has a NFA Forum tab where a lot of people ask these same questions and a couple of guys there have developed pretty comprehensive 'guides' to the Form 1/Form 4 process. As always, help you get from the 'Net is worth exactly what it costs you...nada. But the Forms are pretty easy to fill out.

One item worthy of note: under block 4i, "State Why You Intend To Make Firearm", it is wise to NOT put "in case of the zombie apocalypse" as those are being rejected.

You can also look here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_Complete_Guide_of_how_to_complete_a_Form_1.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input I wonder why keltec is taking awhile to restock the adaptor at least that's the impression on the website do I have to call to get the my hands on one

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Sometimes you can get better response by calling KT and also find more up to date info as to what is in stock. Call the 800 number and ask for "Parts". I bought mine back in 2008 when I did the first (as far as I know?), PLR/SBR. But I also owned an SU-16C.

Under block #4. on the form 1, I wrote, "To enhance my collection", but I have also heard of applicants writing "for all lawful purposes", as well. I got my county Sheriff's signature. Some use a trust. I was one of those guys "grousing" about a 90-day turnaround. It killed me to wait that long. But the wait was worth it! The PLR/SBR is dang near the perfect SBR! It went from an unwieldly novelty gun, to a killer CQB rifle! Easy to handle, fun to shoot, well balanced, light, no recoil, runs like a top, but still a LOUD flamethrower! :eek:

Also you're supposed to have it engraved after you get it put together. No certain time limit, but they suggest to get it engraved soon with your name, city and state, as the "Maker" of the new SBR. Different if you go through a trust. I had mine done at a trophy shop. They engraved it on the steel bbl ring just between the receiver and forend.

Here's the BattleAxe: :cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Took a little over six months for mine, went the Trust route. On line 4 I, I wrote Any Lawfull Purpose/ Collecting Purposes. On 4 h, I needed to write in my trust name, which I didn't' t, they sent it back, but less than two weeks later my approved form was in my hands. My trust name was engraved on the trigger well. This was done for an AR SBR, not a PLR 16 which I would like to do also. But I'm holding off.
For now it will remain a pistol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the input I wonder why keltec is taking awhile to restock the adaptor at least that's the impression on the website do I have to call to get the my hands on one
KT invariably is further behind on production than Noah was with the ark. If I didn't like their products and (normally) price point, I wouldn't even bother to deal with them. I will give them credit for NOT showing items on the website as 'in stock' and then having it not be the case. Calling them might get you one.

Badman was pretty much the first of whom I was aware to build a SBR and his is pretty impressive. I think I would agree that it is pretty near the perfect CQB gun for folks who don't do it for a living. (Having spent most of my life being shot at, I don't trust my life to any but a few proven products. No offense to KT.)

I have heard that you can actually engrave on the plastic, but don't know much in the way of details. Actually, there shouldn't be anyreason why you CAN'T; New Frontier makes plastic AR lowers and, although the serial number is on a little metal piece in the same way Glock does it, the rest of the required information is molded into the plastic. I'm going to post that question on a couple of other boards of which I am a member and see what answers I get. And I will inquire of Orion, who is just north of me, because I know they have engraved some Glocks, etc. that did not have a lot of metal on them. The question is actually one that has been nagging me for a while as I have a couple of guns that 'need' SBRing, so I might as well get an answer. If I have to write ATF/NFA so be it. In either case, I will try to share the answers here.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
KT invariably is further behind on production than Noah was with the ark. If I didn't like their products and (normally) price point, I wouldn't even bother to deal with them. I will give them credit for NOT showing items on the website as 'in stock' and then having it not be the case. Calling them might get you one.

Badman was pretty much the first of whom I was aware to build a SBR and his is pretty impressive. I think I would agree that it is pretty near the perfect CQB gun for folks who don't do it for a living. (Having spent most of my life being shot at, I don't trust my life to any but a few proven products. No offense to KT.)

I have heard that you can actually engrave on the plastic, but don't know much in the way of details. Actually, there shouldn't be anyreason why you CAN'T; New Frontier makes plastic AR lowers and, although the serial number is on a little metal piece in the same way Glock does it, the rest of the required information is molded into the plastic. I'm going to post that question on a couple of other boards of which I am a member and see what answers I get. And I will inquire of Orion, who is just north of me, because I know they have engraved some Glocks, etc. that did not have a lot of metal on them. The question is actually one that has been nagging me for a while as I have a couple of guns that 'need' SBRing, so I might as well get an answer. If I have to write ATF/NFA so be it. In either case, I will try to share the answers here.
Thanks for the clarification Master Sgt. A. I should have qualified the "best CQB" to suggest for "normal" civilian use. I think I have said this before to you in the past, but it still goes-Thanks for your service!

I will reiterate, that calling KT has always worked better for me, but then again the last time I called for something, it was years ago, and they jumped right on it. Usually if I ask for a spring or a firing pin, etc, I have it in my hands in 3 days +/-! I have always had excellent CS out of KT and their staff, but have heard many say that they are slow about answering emails. And I've also heard that sometimes the stock conversion kits may not be listed on the site, but can be had sometimes with a call. Again, I always asked for the parts dept. in the past.

As time goes by, things do change. So what worked for me may not still be the norm. But as for me, I have always received fast, great service when needed. But thankfully, out of the 10 KTs I have owned I've only had one "problem". A weak mag release pring. I called and they sent it right out. I had installed it myself in 15 minutes and had no further problems. The other calls were requests for spare parts, which were also sent out free and quick.

I still have 8 out of 10 of my KT and they're all running strong. The PLR/SBR is my favorite, and my P3AT is my EDC. :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are most welcome, but there is really no need to thank me. I enjoyed all 42+ years in uniform (some days more than others) and would do it again.

I really wasn't trying to make a big distinction between civilian and military uses of any firearms. The PLR/SBR is an excellent choice for a 'civilian' who wants to have a handy and affordable CQB gun. Same could be said for an AR-based SBR...except for the 'affordable' part. Another nice thing about the KT is that it is NOT the direct impingement system of the original AR, so it runs cooler and cleaner. Add the light weight, corrosion resistance and strength of the plastic parts and you have a real winner.

I only have five Kel-Tec products, but I like them all. I also have Grendel, Intratec, and Interdynamics guns, all of which were built by previous incarnations of companies with which George Kellgren was involved.

If KT ever gets caught up with its orders, I plan to add both a KSG and RFB to the collection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts