Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to all the past/present owners for all the knowledge left here on this forum.

I purchased a laptop case to put my PLR-16 in to go to the range (didn't want to have to disassemble it to put in my large pistol bag which it just barely fit in broken down [before the NX5 was on it]).

Now my question is what to do about this hot gun burning the case /melting it after only 80 rounds?

I put some foam in to protect it, but it isn't heat resistant (I placed the gun in the case and saw it was melting/burning the foam...so I had to wait a bit longer before putting it in and closing up the bag). Any suggestions on what to use? I had thought of a glove I got as a present for working on a motorcycle (almost like an oven glove but with fingers)...thought of cutting off the thumb if it fits over the NX5...just to keep the heat off the side and bottom of the case. Any other ideas?

This is the bag on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038KTAYQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
9,977 Posts
I'd recommend a silicone baking sheet, also available on Amazon. They're made to be a nonstick liner for a cookie sheet but they're great for grabbing hot barrels or gas tubes, or wrapping these hot items for immediate storage in a nylon bag. I have a Beretta ARX100, which is very similar to an AR-15 with a collapsible folding butt stock and a pushbutton quick removable barrel and gas system. I store the entire disassembled and folded ARX100 in a 15.6" notebook PC backpack. I need to make a YouTube video demonstrating that, as it's pretty slick. If you can spare 1/8" in length for a single layer of the silicone sheet, it'll protect your nylon bag. The silicone sheet is good up to at least 500F.

Beretta-ARX-100-BackpackOpen-20171014_123048.jpg
Beretta-ARX-100-Disassembled-20171014_123205.jpg
Beretta-ARX-100-WithMagazines-20171014_123523.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,977 Posts
I don't have the big Noveske on the muzzle so my PLR-16 fits in a 17" notebook PC carrying case. My urban camouflage carry case. It's a wide case meant to store papers as a combination PC carrying case and brief case, and there's actually enough room in the other compartments for me to store my four SUB-2000 carbines, the PMR-30 pistol, and mags for all of them. That's another YouTube video that I need to make. When I get to the range and start pulling all those six Kel-Tec firearms out of the innocuous looking case, it's like clowns climbing out of the clown car at the circus.

PLR-16-UrbanCamouflage.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have seen the old posts where you showed off your PLR-16 in that laptop bag...where do you think I stole the idea from?!?
I got lucky that the bag I purchased was just big enough to put the PLR-16 into it. I can fit 4 20 round mags in the pockets, along with ammo, tools, ear/eye protection, and other essentials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts