Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kel-Tec has developed a 300 Blackout version of the SU-16. They'll be showing it at the 2012 SHOT Show and almost certainly selling it in 2012. It was an easy conversion, once they decided to do it.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=245004

So, my question, as I posed in the above SU-16 thread, is WHERE IS MY .300 BLK PLR-16?

From what I’ve read*, 300 BLK has good performance out of a shorter barrel. The SU-16 in 300 BLK uses a shorter gas system than the .223 SU-16, and that should be an even easier conversion for the PLR-16 than it was for the SU-16.

I’ve been wanting a 300 BLK PLR-16 for some time. That could be a serious PDW with a Surefire 60 round mag or a couple of PMAGs clipped together.

I just added a set of 300 BLK reloading dies, cartridge headspace gauge, and about $50 worth of related reloading equipment to my Midway shopping cart. I'm truly sick.

* http://www.300aacblackout.com/
Max effective range, using M4 military standards for hit probability, is 440 meters for a 9 inch barrel, and 460 meters for a 16 inch barrel. 300 BLK from a 9 inch barrel has the same energy at the muzzle as a 14.5 inch barrel M4, and about 5% more energy at 440 meters - even though the barrel is much shorter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at getting a PLR 16 within the next 6 months. If there is a chance for .300 in 2012 would you say wait for the .300 or just get a current PLR. I wont be able to buy both which would easily solve that problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given that the SU-16 conversion wasn't much more than a barrel swap and a few parts in the recoil tube gas system, and it's apparently been tested and is almost ready to go, I think there's a chance we'll see Kel-Tec shipping the 300 BLK SU-16 sooner rather than later. Of course, I'm a hopeless optimist about Kel-Tec delivery schedules, even though I'm well aware of the history and I should know better.

I think the 300 BLK PLR-16 should be even easier, maybe just a barrel change, but so far I've seen no indication that Kel-Tec is offering a 300 BLK version of the PLR-16, even though there would be wonderful symmetry with their 300 BLK SU-16, and it seems like a natural thing to do. Why not?

Maybe Kel-Tec thinks the 300 BLK is too politically incorrect, given that the .223 PLR-16 is already so offensive to a lot of anti-gun ninnies. Who knows? I don't think there's any solid technical reason not to have a 300 BLK PLR-16, and a lot of good marketing reasons to do it (Hey kids! Collect the entire set!), but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe if enough of us want one, Kel-Tec will offer a 300 BLK PLR-16. Who else would buy one?

My Challenge To KTWM - If Kel-Tec markets a 300 BLK PLR-16, I'll buy two, and mount them side-by-side in a tiny Gatling gun configuration with a pair of 60 round Surefire quad stack mags and demo it at the next KTOG Nationals shoot. :eek: The gauntlet has been thrown down, sir. Will you bring dishonor to yourself and your company by allowing it to remain on the ground? :D

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
working on it.

but the gas system is not as simple. Getting it to work with both the supersonic, and the subsonic, without too much bolt velocity may be tricky, without an adjustable gas system....which will add to complexity and cost.

Maybe a 12" barrel will work better, but the 9" is a little short.

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a 12" barrel will work.
12 inch barrel?!? Even better!

I'd imagine it's very difficult to model gas port sizes, port distance from the chamber, and various powder burn rates and chamber pressure profiles. And making a lot of prototypes and testing them in the real world is expensive and time consuming (although that pretty much defines my idea of fun).

A 300 BLK PLR-16 would be so sweet, and a real head turner at a SHOT Show.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
244 Posts
working on it.

but the gas system is not as simple. Getting it to work with both the supersonic, and the subsonic, without too much bolt velocity may be tricky, without an adjustable gas system....which will add to complexity and cost.

Maybe a 12" barrel will work better, but the 9" is a little short.
Ya, I had a feeling the SU-300 went with the short gas system because it needed more pressure and/or a longer pulse, making a PLR-300 not so simple as some would think. Maybe multiple ports?

Make a PLR-300, and it will definitely be on my want list.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would also be interested in a PLR-300. The 12" barrel would be perfect for me as I would more than likely SBR it anyway.

I've been interested in a PLR ever since I learned about them and saw on in my LGS. However the .223 gets pretty mediocre in just about anything shorter than a 14" barrel. I know that's not news or anything it's just hard for me to justify the cost for what I would look at as a range toy.

KTWM, thanks for the updates on the new projects.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I would get one for sure. I would prefer the shorter barrel; its already very front heavy. And it would be awesome if the magazine well were just a bit longer and maybe rounded, to, um, better "hold" the magazine in place. Also making the front sight removable would be a big improvement, as it is part of the front end weight and can be removed for red dot or scoped users.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
This in a 300 BLK would be the bomb, as the kids say. :cool:

Or this:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The first one is what I would really like BM. Looks like it would be outstanding for CQB and with the added punch of the 300 it would be almost ideal. It would have similar bullet energy to a M4 length AR.

Unless your a gun snob, of course.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
The first one is what I would really like BM. Looks like it would be outstanding for CQB and with the added punch of the 300 it would be almost ideal. It would have similar bullet energy to a M4 length AR.

Unless your a gun snob, of course.
No snob here. The only toy I have that hasn't been fired, is an extra NIB Hi-Point C-9. :D

The PLR/SBR does only have a 9-inch bbl though. So if ktwm could make it work, I'd agree about liking the size of the first. It is one sweet piece of kit to operate. :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really wanted a PLR-16 (mostly because I have an AR) As we all know the mag and ammo compatibility in a smaller package. After reading this post a couple a weeks ago and reading up on the 300BLk.l definitely want a firearm in this cartridge. Being that the advantage is a nine inch barrel the PLR-Blackout (as well as the potential 12in.)would get the AR Blackout money accumulating at this time.
What would get me to buy another one would be the ease of integrel suppressing and adapter for but stock.
Because the second one I'm going to NFA that bish X2 LOL!

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless this video is an internet hoax, this is one of my many cogent arguments in favor of a .300 BLK PLR-16.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvxq7-Ior-g[/ame]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can understand them wanting to expand, but it would be nice if they were able to produce enough Sub-2000's to come close to filling demand before moving on to other things.

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just completed an exhaustive study. 99.3% of all Kel-Tec related YouTube videos and 23.7% of all KTOG threads eventually devolve into:

Dear Kel-Tec,

Make more firearms!

XXXOOO,
Your Customers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts