Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am happy with my Ruger Mark II that I've had for decades, but now the wife is considering a .22lr handgun for herself. Semi-auto for her, she has no interest in any more revolvers at this time.

I was trying to start a list of guns to check out. There seem to be a lot of them. I would like some suggestions for good offerings that I may have missed in my list below as well as comments good/bad on guns I have listed. It would be nice if we could choose a model that gobbles up all kinds of ammo, including the inexpensive bulk stuff. My Mark II eats anything I feed it, and I'm spoiled regarding that. We don't need 100% perfection in feeding/ejecting with the bulk stuff, but it would be nice if you could get through at least several mags without a failure.

FWIW, the wife loves full power handguns, not shying away in the slightest from large .45's, .40's, etc. She likes Glocks and Springfields in larger calibers. My wife already HAS every other typical caliber in a handgun, except for the .44mag that she is also searching for now, so no need to suggest anything other than a .22lr. She's already got that other stuff!

Planned use: Range gun, informal target/plinking, zombie elimination. No need to spend extra for threading that might host a supressor (no plans for supressors right now).

Thanks!

Browning Buckmark
Smith & Wesson 22A
Bersa Thunder 22
Ruger SR22
Ruger Mark III (probably too similar to my Mark II)
Ruger 22/45
Walther P22
Sig Mosquito
Beretta Neos
KelTec PLR-22 (probably too big for her tastes)
ATI GSG 1911
ISSC M22
Chiappa 1911-22
Chiappa M9-22

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like the 22/45 too, but I recently bought a Buck Mark because I could put a Tactical Solutions 7 1/4" barrel on it myself with only an Allen wrench. And with the new URX grips it's the best feeling factory gripped pistol I have ever handled.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The only gun on your list that I have personally owned was the Ruger 22/45 and it was a great gun.

·
Banned
319 Posts
read my thread on the smith and wesson 22a it is a spectacular gun for the price!!! my wife loves it and loves shooting it..... very easy gun to clean and use. the 10 +1 is nice too

·
Registered
233 Posts
If she has everything treat her to a Ruger but get a suppressor for it..if you are allowed in your state. Now that would be cool..all you need is to do the paper work.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I consider the target pistols to all be about like your ruger mark. A buckmark, S&W 22, beretta neos --- all those single action, good sized guns are about the same. You have one already.

So unless you want a similar platform to what you already have, you can eliminate these:

Browning Buckmark
Smith & Wesson 22A
Ruger Mark III (probably too similar to my Mark II)
Ruger 22/45
Sig Mosquito
Beretta Neos

That said, my favorites:
the cz kadet wins hands down. It is as accurate as the target guns (not the $3k stuff, the buckmark/ruger type) with a full sized look and feel. You can get a single action trigger kit, or leave it as DA/SA. It is like a cz 75, and it is heavy (I like this, you may not). Durable steel construction and a 9mm frame, this gun will last as long as the ruger.

Next up I would probably go for a 1911-22. Its still a target gun, single action and good balance, just a different platform (slightly). The trouble with these is you have a choice of some rather questionable, inexpensive ones made for .22 (and it shows) or putting on a kit onto a real 1911 (expensive but extremely good). Colt just produced one, and I am tempted. But so far every brand of these I have picked up that was not a kit on a real .45 acp frame felt.... cheap and seemed to be of questionable quality. To be fair, I havent had a chance to actually shoot any of the stock 1911-22s.

SR22 --- better than the walther, more accurate, more rugged, but it is for small hands. It is so small I cannot shoot it well, the trigger is too close to the grip. If your wife has small hands, this may be a #1 choice!

Bersa: Pretty good. I do not care for this much trigger in a .22, but they are well made and good little guns.

PLR-22: I would rather have a ruger charger. Its a 10-22 pistol with a built in bipod. PLR is a weapons platform, charger is a target / bench rest friendly platform. Both are excellent, both are too heavy for standing up - plinking.

I have not tested many of the others so my notes here are just on what I have shot and handled some.

Edit: and you can't go wrong with a desert eagle .44 mag, I love that thing! If she likes autos and you don't mind the price tag...

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Other suggestions?

Whiteny Wolverine
Kel Tec P[*]-22

:)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edit: and you can't go wrong with a desert eagle .44 mag, I love that thing! If she likes autos and you don't mind the price tag...
That's the only .44mag she's ever shot. Years and years ago. She loved it!

·
Registered
589 Posts
read my thread on the smith and wesson 22a it is a spectacular gun for the price!!! my wife loves it and loves shooting it..... very easy gun to clean and use. the 10 +1 is nice too
I second the S&W 22a I have one , my wife's favorite gun to shoot,at least I think I have one, it might be hers by now...:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had a MK II for a long time and I thought it was the cat's meow for many, many years. Then last month I got a S&W M&P22. Oh, man is that fun.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247806

I've shot American Eagle HPs and Federal bulk pack thus far. 100% reliability except when I fully load the 12 round mag with the bulk pack stuff the last round "stove pipes" when I attempt to put the gun into battery. The rim is still stuck in the mag. Download by one round and no problem. So far it doesn't happen with the American Eagles. Getting mags sucks. I immediately ordered 3 more 12 rounders and they are on back order.

But, man-o-man, is this fun to shoot and it fits a cheap Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle holster for the M&P.

Good luck and happy shooting to you and your wife, dv

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nobody else will go for it, I will,I love my Firestorm(BERSA) 22LR. Exactyl the same form factor as the Thunder 380 and as accurate as a pistol can be.

Bill

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Go Funky!
I know this kinda weird guy up in Kentucky that has one of these:

I know somebody who bought one for $240.
Why, if you were dumb enough (sorry Jim) to cut off your pinky, ring, and thumb, you could still do this:

Scarry accurate. Lots of fun. Shoot shorts also.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
That kinda weird guy in Ky, loves his S&W 22A, but hasnt shot it since that Beeman .22 above, of which Lop speaks , arrived at my place to shoot with only 2 fingers on right hand.

Man that thing is so accurate its scary.

Unique gun to say the least.
Dont know where a guy would even begin to look for one.

Thanks Lop.

Jim

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Given these comments from your OP...

... She likes Glocks and Springfields in larger calibers. My wife already HAS every other typical caliber in a handgun, except for the .44mag that she is also searching for now, so no need to suggest anything other than a .22lr. She's already got that other stuff!...
... I'm going to suggest a rimfire conversion kit (AA or TacSol, your choice) for one of her Glocks. I have two of the AA units and absolutely love them. If she enjoys and uses it as much as I do, she'll eventually get another Glock or an extra lower half to host it full-time.

:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts