Please help w/ problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lop, Dec 17, 2008.

1. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi guys,
    I needs some help. In April my bride got me a p3. I've shot maybe 3-400 rounds thru it. I carry in my back pocket and clean it every time I shoot, clean it once a month or more if I have not shot. I was down on the range today with one of my granddaughters. We were plinking .22's thru the mkII. She hit 3x3 targets and hanging 3x5 targets at 12 yards with a 70% hit rate. Pretty good, I think. Then I offered to let her shoot the p3. I showed her the gun, fired one round and passed it over. She fired 2 rounds, and passed it back. I went to fire it and it would not fire. The trigger moved all the way to the back of the trigger area, the hammer moved back to the "ready to fire" point, but it did not release the hammer. :( :(
    I had 2 jambs in the first 30 rounds (probably me not holding it right) and no problems at all since then. I've pulled the slide off, looked round, and it looks ok. I put my thumb in the way of the hammer falling and pulled the trigger. I just doesn't go back quite far enough. If I pull it back just a smig farther it releases.
    Whats up? I looked 'round the tech probs post, but did not see something addressing this. I'm going to pull the innerds out (per youtube instructions, thanks) and see if something is ammiss. Any help is much appriciated.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    sounds like the pin pressed in behind the trigger has walked out. this was a problem a while back.

if you catch it early, you can force the pin back in and put a dab of glue over it.

3. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Thanks JFB, I'll check.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  5. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Bingo, that was it. I slid it back up in the trigger, and, with the slide off, got the hammer to fire just fine. Looks like the checking of the trigger pin is part of the cleaning procedure. Thanks JFB, that was a real confidence shaker. I'm glad an external visual inspection is all that it needs to restore my confidence. :)

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Good you caught it before it came out completly

A little late, but I added this post to FAQ/VIPs

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Ah, the pin had nothing to do with it. He was fardelling bears too much ;D

8. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Dammy, I thought no one was looking :-[

9. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.

"Big brother" is always watching ;D

John

10. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    hey guys,

i checked out that website and my pin looks very similar to those photos but the trigger is still working just fine.  how can i tell if the trigger pin is walking out for sure?  how do you drive the pin back in (which tools do you use)?  

perhaps i'm being paranoid but that's a serious failure!

thanks!

11. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Shove it back up with whatever will fit. I've used a small screwdriver. If it doesn't move with a moderate amount of force you are good. Just so I feel good I put a small amount of blue loctite on it and let it wick down. Not sure if that really works on plastic, but I've had no trouble. A real small amount of crazy glue might be even more likely to hold.

12. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    possumgravy,

thanks for the help.  i'll give it a shot.  i'll think i'll use some super glue in any case for good measure.

kb

13. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I pushed the rod back after 300 rounds. Fired 3 rounds and it quit. I super glued it (and my finger) and next day ran 30 rounds thru it without a problem. Hope i'm good now.

14. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i pushed on the trigger pin with an allen wrench and it may have moved some - i really couldn't tell.  i also put a few drops of superglue on the pin just to make me feel better about it.  thanks for the help.

15. clyde_causey

clyde_causey New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Loc tite makes a product to use on assembled parts. It is made to wick into the contact areas and is supposed to work up to .010 clearance.

16. clyde_causey

clyde_causey New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Loctite® 290™ Threadlocker
    Loctite® 290™ is a medium strength threadlocker for pre-assembled bolts up to 1/2" (12 mm). Penetrates threads by capillary action. Secures set screws and other assemblies after settings are completed. Seals welds and porous metal parts.

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ;)

and here is an old posting discussing loctite
    and I just added it to the FAQ/VIP

18. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I had a dream the other night. I was in some weird place. Rough neighbor hood, Rougher establishment, Really rough looking bathroom. I have no Idea why I was there, but I had 4 very bad looking bad guys cornering me and I pulled my trusty little Kel tec. It did not fire. The trigger would not pull back far enough to release the hammer.
    Some dream. I don't know what happend next, you know how dreams are...

So anyway, I went down to the range today to run some Rem UMC hollow points ($33/100 at WW). It fired one round and would not fire any more. The trigger pin (253) was glued in, but it would not fire. I opened it up (after unloading and verifying). I pulled the frame (210) out and found some small plastic scraps near the hammer axis (278) outbound of the Trigger bar (260). The picture below has the little pieces sitting on the wooden block (used for pressing out pin) they were about were the finger (mine) is pointing.
    [​IMG]

I have looked over the parts drawing and went thru the whole list of parts. These plastic scraps don't seem to be there. They look like they could have come off the inside side of the frame, but I could not see from where. The largest piece looks to have a whole (or the remains of one) that is the same diamater of the hammer axis. What function does the Hammer block (272) serve, and does it need to be in a sprung condition when you put the frame back in? (edited to add: done, it was in the vid. thxs)

I'm pretty descuraged folks. I don't have a pocket gun that works that I can rely on. Is it time to send this pup back to the mother ship? Again, any help will be greatly appriciated. I'm going to see if I can find the youtube vidio that show the frame pulling procedure, and that should fix my install question, but not my non-fireing situation.  :(