Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted my problem about a week ago on here, And thought the problem was carrying it unprotected in my pocket so I started carrying it in a sweat resistant pocket holster. it is worse than ever now the whole front of the slide is rusting. It looks even worse in person. I have cleaned it every night after work and it still rust within hours. Even the inside of the barrel. It is a blued model And this is a brand new week or so old Kel-Tec It is driving me crazy. Anybody have any good do it yourself finish ideas
I am just hoping I don't have to resort to Krylon spray paint to fix it

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Contact Kel-Tec Monday 1-800-515-9983 if it is new. They swapped a P-3AT slide for me on a new pistol several years ago.

If it has some age, consider Jack’s $25 nickel plating offer http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com . There is also DuraCoat & Gun Kote, which are designed to withstand gun oil/cleaners.

Seeing the rust in the barrel, try a better oil or even Break Free CLP as I know it prevents rust in my barrels.

Wilson – who’s troubled to see any poor P-3AT in distress :'(

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Wow SS - that is  A LOT of rust.  You must have that special bio touch!!!  I am thinking a Jack Fusselier job is in your future - could be the best money you have ever spent on your baby.  Please tell us you are keeping the inside of that baby dripping in oil?

-Scott

PS - edited to add: good job on switching to a safer mode of carry even if that wasn't your reason for doing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wilson said:
They swapped a P-3AT slide for me on a new pistol several years ago.  

If it has some age, consider Jack’s $25 nickel plating offer
Seeing the rust in the barrel, try a better oil or even Break Free CLP

How long is Kel-Tec turn around time, You don't know by chance what they would charge to return it refinished in Hard Chrome do you.

It don't have any age I just looked at the reciept and I got it the 29th which was 9 or so days ago.

I started off using my regular oil like I do on all my guns, Thinking that was the problem I started using the stuff Kel-Tec ships it with, That didn't help so I started carrying it in a pocket holster and it hasn't helped. I usually clean with Rem-Oil, Hoppes #9, and Outers Gun Oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
adamsesq said:
Wow SS - that is  A LOT of rust.  You must have that special bio touch!!!Please tell us you are keeping the inside of that baby dripping in oil?
-Scott
Yes I keep the inside very very oily.
I don't think I have the bio touch. I just live about 150 yards from the beach and work construction so I sweat quite a bit in the Ms. heat

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Southernshooter said:
How long is Kel-Tec turn around time, You don't know by chance what they would charge to return it refinished in Hard Chrome do you.

It don't have any age I just looked at the reciept and I got it the 29th which was 9 or so days ago.

I started off using my regular oil like I do on all my guns, Thinking that was the problem I started using the stuff Kel-Tec ships it with, That didn't help so I started carrying it in a pocket holster and it hasn't helped. I usually clean with Rem-Oil,  Hoppes #9, and Outers Gun Oil.
They don't do a HC upgrade anymore - it would be the full price of the part. HOWEVER, they usually have a 2 week - 30 days (seems to depend on who you talk to) return period for "cosmetic" blemishes. I actually think yours is a bit more than cosmetic, but call first thing Monday just to be sure.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Southernshooter said:
How long is Kel-Tec turn around time,
Best to ask Kel-Tec about the turnaround time Monday. My last P-3AT had a very thick coat of bluing. Maybe yours just slipped through the cracks. Kel-Tec will make it right.

Wilson – who’s wondering if that little P-3AT has been sneaking out at night for a moonlight swim in the Gulf :)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BOBO I might have to go that route, I just hate to lose my ccw pocket piece for the 2 or 3 weeks. My Model 30 and XD45 are to heavy for me to carry with the work I do

What are the benefits of the magtube plating he does

Also when the price he state says anyone on the Kel-Tec mailing list does that mean any member of the forum ???

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Southernshooter said:
BOBO I might have to go that route, I just hate to lose my ccw pocket piece for the 2 or 3 weeks. My Model 30 and XD45 are to heavy for me to carry with the work I do

What are the benefits of the magtube plating he does
First, if the factory finish wears or chips off the mags could rust just like your slide has - plating will help to prevent the rust. Second, they look real nice.  Third, it costs so little extra while your doing the slide - why not? ;)

Also when the price he state says anyone on the Kel-Tec mailing list does that mean any member of the forum  ???
Yes, any member of the forum.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're familiar with Brownells, do a search for Aluma-Hyde II. It is air-dry epoxy finish, comes in colors and has stood up to almost 9 years of wear and tear, and a trip to Africa on my Remington rifle. It is NOT just for aluminum. Mine is a stainless barrel and carbon steel receiver. Posed no problem at all.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
You are never going to be satisfied with Blued or Parked finishes. Jack's Nickel plate is great for the SLIDE, but he does not do BARRELS.

With a salt bath like your gun lives in, only a Hard Chrome model (which also includes the barrel) will do.

If you have had it only one week, you can demand your money back or a trade plus diff for a HC model. And you should be getting a UPS Call Tag for free shipping.

Call them again and explain that if they can't offer you some sort of HC trade, then you will have to have a refund so you can buy a HC.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
IMO, they are not responsible to give him anything for a HC upgrade.

That was his choice to purchase or not, not KT's.

Trades are not that simple on handguns.

he should send it off for finishing. ccr, jack, etc.

someone out there will do it, and there are those that will do barrels.

IT DOES SUCK, I DO THINK THAT FNIISH IS DEFECTIVE, but KT does not have to absorb the cost to trade it up, and demanding will not do him any favors.

call back, speak to Rick.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Southernshooter, you've had some real good suggestions. If plating the slide & barrel doesn't do the job & in your environment it might not, you may have to live with that thing packed in grease.

You guys thought I was going to say get a different gun didn't you. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.