platting the barrel?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by baa5000, Oct 30, 2008.

1. baa5000

baa5000 New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I'm sending my slide and mags into CCR to get the cera-hide coating in stainless steel (which im very excited about) and I was wondering if it made sense to get the barrel done too? It's only another $6. I'm still pretty new to guns and especially upgrades like new coatings so I was hoping to get your expert and always insiteful advice. Thanks!

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing. For just $6 it sounds like a good idea to me but there are smarter people than I here at KTOG.

CJ

3. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Never had it done but I can't see how it would be a bad thing? Extra protection combined with the added ability to have less friction is a good thing right? ;-) And if you decide it's not what you like I'll bet it sould be media blasted back off and polished back up. :-/

4. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    As long as you are getting the other work done...why not!

5. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Which will hold up better and be more scratch resistant...CCR's Cera-Hide, or Jack's nickle plating?

6. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Probably Cera-Hyde, however, never had that done. I've had jack do all my guns...just a great guy to deal with.

P.S. You shoud see what Jack did to my "cheap" Hi-Point 45!

Boggs

7. baa5000

baa5000 New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Alright sounds good, I just feel better running things by the experts here first :cool: I'll be sure to post pictures when I get it back. My Armalaser just showed up today too so now the wait is going to be that much harder!

8. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Good choice on the ArmaLaser. Now you will find out how much your hands shake! :)

9. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Boggs, How is the nickle holding up?

Got in touch with Jack....said he's way behind cause of hurricane...said check back in a couple of weeks

10. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    What the he!!? You can't say something like that and "not" post a stinking pic!?!?   >:(   Now get back here and POST A PIC MISTER!   ;)  

And in the future...... Please refrain from calling your Hi Points "cheap" please! From here on out you need to call them "inexpensive"!   ;-) ;) :cool:

11. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ape: One of these days I'll learn how to post pics...got some great ones of my 16-C.

Boggs

12. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    tommyray:

The nickle has some "stains" and I cannot get them out...maybe from the cleaning fluid?

It's O.K. with me because I did it for protection from the elements here in Florida.

KTOG member KTADDONS.COM was doing some type of high-end plating, but I could not link to the plating section on his website.

Boggs

13. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    KTADDONS stopped plating, I think he was having issues with people not comunicating well and understanding delays that he couldn't control. Really it's a shame because I wanted to have some work done and I've heard nothing but good things about his work.

CJ

14. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    CJP32:

Too bad...sounded like he had a great product! :'(

15. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Boggs, here's the link to the sticky for posting pics. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115586716 I use photobucket.com ;-) Now NO MORE EXCUSES! I want pics bubba! lol Seriously though I'd like to see how the HP looks with a different coating. ;-)

And KTADDONS coatings looked promising to me as well CJP32. I wanted their coating on two of my KT's when I first joined here. :-/ :-X But like you said, "they" had some "communication" issues with customers. So I never enlisted their sevices, even though they were still doiing KT plating at that time?. :( Unfortunate really, it looked like the best option for coating out there as far as hardness and lubrication quality's? Who know's, maybe they'll get back into coating for gun's again someday and we'll be able to try them out then? ;-)