Plastic bullets?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Sep 1, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Re: recent discussion else on lead bullets, I checked with local police dept. and they'll sometimes use plastic bullets (9mm) due to over-penetration concerns. So, is there such a thing as a plastic bullet in 380 (I've not found any) - and is that even a good idea (in 380)?

2. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Not sure if they're even made but...if they are... HUGE waste of money. ::)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    any ideal what they are using. I've heard of practice rounds like these
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=235125
    but nothing I would carry since they will not cylce the action

for reduced penatration, many decades back I used glarrier safety slugs in a 9mm, they had a plastic tip

4. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Don't know what exactly they're using - don't want to get too nosy - but they did mention that they use plastic to avoid over-penetration. To me that indicates it might be carry ammo.

5. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Speer makes plastic projectiles in .38/.357, .44, and .45

I did not see any 9mm on a search of MidwayUSA

B.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the weight of the projectile is a factor in its effective ness

for some comparison
    water has specific gravity of 1
    lead 11
    copper 9

most plastics are less than 1 with the heaviest I could find at 2.2
    solid salt at 2.3 and aluminum at 2.6 would make a better bullet than plastic

referance
    http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html

7. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Are you worried about over-penetration in a sub 3" 380? NO reason to 'dumb down' what is a weak cartridge in the first place.  I'd like to see some documentation of any PD using plastic bullets in any caliber.  

8. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Yes...in pistol calibers, specifically. I've heard of rubber bullets, bean bags and such in shotguns, but a solid plastic round?

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I am surprised you haven't sugested the perfect material to make a "green" bullet, Huckle.

get a spoke shaver and some Osage branches ;D

(If I get a chance, I think I'll try)

10. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Oh.... I've always longed for some way of turning hedgeappples into cash.... Shoot 'em outta guns! That'd awesome! Imagine getting hit by one of those at high velocity. That'd put you on your butt hard, AND... no over-penetration worries!

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Somebody at the PD is yanking your chain.
    Or else you didn't get the whole story.

The only plastic 9mm bullet possibly used by any PD would be Simunitions training ammo.
    http://www.simunition.com/index_en.php

It is used for live-fire training while wearing protective gear the plastic bullets will not penetrate.

No PD anywhere is using plastic bullets in duty or carry ammo.
    Except for 12 ga shotgun rubber bullets used in riot control.

The very light weight plastic pistol bullet would offer no chance of stopping someone intent on criminal activity, such as killing the cop shooting them with plastic bullets.

rc

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  13. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Well, O.K. then!

rc

14. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I got a little nosier... and they're NOT carry ammo - copper and plastic - used for training.... there we go. Thanks for all the input on the subject. Tells me why I can't find any 380 auto ammo.

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I think the poly/copper dust bullets would be an one shot stopper :cool:

thick about it, the round will have just KE to go a couple inches in. it then burst into fine powder that gets carried into the blood stream, those copper particles short circuits the brain, and down goes the BG

16. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Makes sense, but I'd still love to see some method where a concealed hedgeapple could be fired at a BG at high velocity.

17. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Several years back in the 90's I used to see surplus german plastic training ammo in 380 Auto and 32 ACP (7.65 Browning) meant for police training.  It was low penetration stuff meant for small indoor ranges, but still lethal at close range.  I doubt that it was ever carry ammo and was just for gallery use.  Now that the Germans are surplusing their G-3's you see the same type of ammo in 7.62X51 Nato.

Best Regards:

18. Chiques13

Chiques13 New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Used to throw hedgeapples like really heavy snowballs. Does that count?

By the way, the wood is beautiful, Made some grips out of it, always gets comments. Neighbor just built a sauna bench, too. Love the stuff. A little hard on the tools, though.

19. You say hedge apples we say horse apples, but know matter what you call them, when you cousin hits you square in the back with one it hurts!!!

We knew the trees as Bodark (not sure of the spelling) trees when I was a kid, and had a bunch along the Atchafalaya River in Avoyelles Parish.

20. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Nice Fun thing about hedge trees... they will sometimes fight back when you try to cut 'em - as evidenced by the bruise on my leg right now and my fear of ladders.