Places to buy P3AT mags?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mcdxd, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Howdy folks. I was searching the forum for sources of parts (particularly magazines) for my new P3AT. I have purchased a few extra mags. and spare parts directly from Kel-Tec but was wondering if someone could point me towards other possibilities. I visited MecGar's site, and it appears that they don't/won't sell Kel-Tec's mags. from their site.

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I don't believe anyone else makes mags for the P3AT except Kel Tec.

Rick

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    The Little Copied Pistol mags may fit if you can find someone selling those.

4. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    My buddy has an LCP and the mags almost fit my P3AT...not quite well enough to seat in my opinion.

Rick

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
  6. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Thanks, folks.

John, I appreciate the link. Ivanhoe's price is much more reasonable for these little mags.

7. unisonic12

unisonic12 New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Kel-Tec doesn't make any pistol magazines (not sure about the PLR-16 or PF9). I've owned three out of four of their "conventional" pistols; a P11, P32 and P3AT. Those mags are made by Mec-Gar...the same company that makes mags for my Kahr, double stack Kimber 1911 and Beretta pistols. ;)

8. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Kel-Tec doesn't make any pistol magazines (not sure about the PLR-16 or PF9).  I've owned three out of four of their "conventional" pistols; a P11, P32 and P3AT.  Those mags are made by Mec-Gar...the same company that makes mags for my Kahr, double stack Kimber 1911 and Beretta pistols.  ;)[/quote]

I stand corrected. I knew Mec-Gar made them for Kel-Tec, but I don't think you can buy them from Mec-Gar. I guess I was just trying to tell the OP that Kel-Tec is the only company supplying mags for the P-3AT. You may be able to buy them elsewhere, but they all come from Kel-Tec (Mec-Gar).

Rick

9. jp8900

jp8900 New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I bought mine straight from kel-tec.. Im sure there are cheaper places but was in a crunch

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
  11. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Voigts, thanks for the link.

12. unisonic12

unisonic12 New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    You can't. I tried to buy some proprietary mags for a hi-cap Kimber because they charge friggin' $64/mag and they said they don't sell directly to the public. ::)

13. felton316

felton316 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Texas
    Cheaper Than Dirt advertises that they sell P3-AT mags.

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There is a lot to be said about buying directly from and supporting momma.

-Scott

15. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I've seen them for a couple of dollars less but I ordered direct from KelTec.

16. mcdxd

mcdxd New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with that at all. Also nothing wrong with saving about $4 per mag when you are buying a bunch of range mags for a new pistola. :)

17. Iexpedite08

Iexpedite08 New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    When I purchased my P3AT the guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted any additional magazines. I couldn't see myself at the range rapid firing dropping clips and loading up the next. Didn't occur to me at the time that my mag would stay in my gun, spring fully compressed for extended periods of time. I guess I need to go back to the store...hopefully something else doesn't catch my eye. That place is starting to hurt my wallet.

18. johnfrommd

johnfrommd New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I have modified PA-63 mags to work with my P3AT. You need to cut a slot on the side with a dremel tool. I use them for practice and sometimes IDPA. They used to be cheap but I think the supply is drying up.

Regards,

John

19. Dueeast

Dueeast New Member

Nov 22, 2008
  20. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Staying compressed is not what wears out magazine springs.

Cycling them is what wears them out.

You actually do more harm loading & unloading them to let the springs "rest", then if you just left them loaded. Springs do not "Rest"!

For instance, if you parked your car in the driveway, and never drove it again, it would turn into a pile of rust eventually, but the springs would still be holding up all that weight good as new.

If you drove it all that time however, cycling the springs constantly, they would be totally worn out well before the car rusted away.

If you really stress out over it, down-load by one round and your springs will still be working fine long after you aren't.

Still, any auto-pistol with only one mag is only a lost or damaged mag away from being a very awkward single-shot pistol.

rcmodel