pit in barrel

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bro61, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Just purchased a new P-3AT, started doing the fluff and buff and noticed the barrel had a pit in the steel on the outside about .02" in diameter and maybe .01" deep. I tried to take a photo but couldn't get a clear image. I don't think it is anything to worry about but thought i would get advice from the experts. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ....01" deep...

the barrel is only 0.035", (30% reduction ) so if it was near the chamber, I would be very concern.

now the barrel is only 0.015 in that recess at the muzzle, so it might be ok farther from the chamber, but it could become a stress concentration point and become a problem though the remaining material was thick enough. Look at it this way...to remove the stress concentration effect of a hole, you need to machine the circumferance to that depth and tapper cut into the original diameter, would you still want to shoot it

Something that deep, should be sent back to KT before shooting :-?

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks JFB. The pit is about an inch from the muzzle. Looking at it today it is probably more like .005" deep. I will be calling Kel-Tec tomorrow. Will Kel-Tec want the whole gun or just the barrel be shipped back?  I was able to get some photos today in better light. Hope it gets back soon. :'(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Definetly DONT shoot that. I'm surprised that got by the QC dept? I doubt they'll want the whole gun back but just call them and see what they want and go from there.

Another reason I take any new gun I get apart and go through it. That could have ended up badly! I can't say as I've ever seen or heard of that before though? :-/

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    From its location being in a less stressed area away from chamber, but still in a possible pressure area, I would want a engineering verification if I had to use it.

If KT says they can cut that much out and still be with in design margins, it could be reused, but I would ask KT to replace it.

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. I will let you know what I find out. Too bad I was really looking forward to shooting the 3AT this afternoon. I had a P-32 years ago and really liked it but had a lapse in judgment and traded it.

7. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I called the dealer I bought the gun from and he said he would take it back. I decided to do that instead of sending it back to Kel-Tec. So I got a refund but he didn't have anymore P-3AT's. I found another dealer that had 3. I field stripped all 3 right there on the counter and picked the one I thought looked the best. Two of them had minor imperfections in the barrel but nothing like the one I took back. I cost me $30 more than the other dealer but I got me another 3AT. Now to start all over on the F&B. I just ordered some Militec-1 oil and grease for when i get done with the F&B.