Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for some of you experienced hands out there:

I have a 1G from back in the day. The assembly pin walked out about 1/3 of the way today at the range. This is the first real issue I have had after nearly 2 years of shooting.

I remember reading posts about the assembly pin walking out and I still have the link for how to modify the pin.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

I'm hoping I can avoid the trouble of working on it. The link advised that KT changed the pin at some point. Is the current pin used on the 2G ok to use on the 1G ? Is this likely to solve the problem ?

Thanls for your help !

ION

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
ionengine said:
The link advised that KT changed the pin at some point.  Is the current pin used on the 2G ok to use on the 1G ? Is this likely to solve the problem ?
  Hi, ION! Yes, you can use the newer pin. Call KT service at 1-800-515-9983 and they will send you on for free.

However, you must also examine your pistol to see if you have "grip bulge." If the retaining spring pops out of its groove, it will push the grip out a bit and cause the pin not to seat properly. Shooting the gun under these circumstances might cause excessive barrel or frame wear.

Look at the grip around the Pin hole. You should be able to clearly see the retaining spring, and the grip should lie flat, not bulged up.

If you HAVE grip bulge, the repair is either to take down the pistol and put the spring back in place, or the far easier fish-it-back-into-place with a dental pick method.

Packer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 2-P Packer,

Thanks for the help. I knew I could count on one of you to pass along good info. I love this site !

As far as I can tell, there is no buldge at the side of the frame where the assembly pin docks. Just the raised lip where the head of the pin seats. With the slide removed, I see the spring across the bottom of the pin hole where its supposed to be. If it was out of place, would I still be able to see it there ?

I also checked the barrel using the pics from the link for reference:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

I can see only the slightest wear on the corner of the barrel - nothing close to the bent look in the pics. The hole for the pin does not look elongated or out of round in any noticeable way. I am thinking I caught the probelm in time. I probably only fired one or two rounds with the pin protruding befiore I noticed it had walked out.

Is the new pin designed to prevent this problem ?

Tks again !

ION

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
ionengine said:
  With the slide removed, I see the spring across the bottom of the pin hole where its supposed to be. If it was out of place, would I still be able to see it there ?
No.

Is the new pin designed to prevent this problem ?
  Yes, it sounds like that will be all you need to solve the problem. Order it Monday morning (KT service: 1-800-515-9983) and it should be in your mailbox by Thursday.

While you are ordering free parts for your 2 year old pistol: Get a 1G P-32 extractor, new recoil springs, a recoil spring catch, an ejector, a magazine follower and a mag release button and spring. You will probably be needing these also.

You will now have a new problem though. Every time you remove the new pin, you will have to hold down the grip around the pin. If you don't hold the grip, the grip WILL bulge. It also helps if you "wiggle" the pin out rather than pulling it in one jerk.

This is a good time to inspect your trigger pin. If it protrudes more than 1/16 inch, pound it back in.

Packer.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you pull your grip to install that new assembly pin spring, be sure to inspect the hammer spring. Several of the used P-3AT I’ve purchased that were manufactured in 2004 had hammer springs that were good until they are stretched one time.

Wilson – who’s operating a convalescent and rehabilitation center for aging FG P-3ATs :)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Good point, Wilson! The spring COULD be contributing to the problem. So, if you are going to replace the assembly pin retaining spring, just order a new hammer spring too!

The secret to not overstretching the hammer spring is to dry fire it first before you remove the spring. That (if you don't move the slide) will release most of the tension from the spring.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
We should name a center for aging p3at's that are undergoing rehabilitation for wilson.

He is doing them all a service. It takes a special person to give one a new home after being rejected and abused the way many of them were

;D

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Possible names:

Wilson University for Saving Smallguns?

W.U.S.S.

The Wilson Home for Underprivilaged MouseGuns?

W.H.U.M.

Wilson Home for Any Mousegun?

W.H.A.M.

Greater Rehabilitative Explosive Environment Defense Yard?

G.R.E.E.D.Y.

Packer

·
Registered
846 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
The secret to not overstretching the hammer spring is to dry fire it first before you remove the spring. That (if you don't move the slide) will release most of the tension from the spring.Packer.
You got it Packer, if you dont let the hammer go forward before taking the hammer spring loose you will overstretch it, maybe even break it. You need to keep control over it and not let it shoot down the mag well either. This step of disassembly has been left out of every set of instructions I have read, including the ones I got from KT ( they do say for a "competent gunsmith only" on top) I would not recommend dry firing though. I pull the slide off and put my index finger on the hammer face firmly. Pull the trigger and absorb the impact with my finger, letting it fall gently. This is easier on the spring than shooting the gun.

I have torn my P3ATs apart dozens of times, and never replaced a hammer spring since I started letting the tension off before removal. Its so easy to forget this step, and a professional is just assumed to know. I would venture a guess that many here dont know about this proceedure. I know I didnt want to take it all apart when I first came here.

Beach

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.