Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? I have been reading lots but could not find this specific problem..sorry if im not looking hard enough but info overload.

After about 200 rounds total, I had 3 failures to fire out of 25 rounds today. The firing pin hit the primer dead center but the bullet did not go off. Could the firing pin be hitting too lightly. I use White box ammo from WM and have never had a problem. The trigger may have felt funny but it could just be me expecting the recoil.

Any ideas. Im really bummed because this is my principle CCW.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You can get a light strike if you don't release and let the trigger reset fully.

Some ammo has hard primers that can cause this, but I haven't heard of this with WWB. The only ammo I've personally had hard primer problems with is Sellier & Bellot.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Did you allow the trigger to travel to a full forward position after firing? The trigger needs to fully reset (two clicks) or you will get a light strike every time.

If you also shoot Glucks this would perhaps be standard practice, but not with these little guns. Or, if you haven't shot it in a while, maybe you just picked up a bad habit on those three occasions.

Some have had success with clipping a couple of coils on the firing pin spring, if you determine short stroking the trigger was not the problem. I don't like this, but some have had success with it.

Before you do anything make sure you didn't short stroke it.... ;D ;D

G

·
buehhec: What was said above is ur problem. IMO you are short stroking the trigger. If you 380 is within the last 9 months , you already have the factory shortened firing pin spring. That is not ur problem. Stay out of that area. You cold have but I would think not a weak hammer spring (stretched) I have had that happen only once and that was on my 32 kt, produced lite strikes-bigtime. You ust have to release that trigger to allow it to reset itself or you willbe firing off the half cocke dposition all the time== lite strikes. No need to box it up yet, try what the guys tell you and get back to us.

G

·
zeke said:
You can also check to ensure your trigger pin is not backing out.  
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpin.htm
Just something to check.  Short stroking the trigger is the most likely cause though.
zeke, just a note on the trigger pin, awhile back I had put a meer drop of locktite on the trigger pin, and wow did it penetrate. It locked up my trigger bigtime. Had to cut it off etc and installall new again. Now I just put a dab of silicone behind that trigger in that cavity area where the pin is showing Can still get it out if necessary. Just not to sure I would ever put locktite n that area again, as it does penetrate. If air can still get to locktite, it will not dry or set up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, thanks for the quick reply. I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check the forum to find all this support. WOW.

Now that you mention it, I recently had some SWAT training and have been shooting all my guns by using a trigger reset only letting the trigger click once and then pull again. I may have been doing this with the P3AT. I will try it again and let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Another KTOG success story. We saved KT the trouble of fielding a call to customer service and possible shipping to the factory, the time of a gunsmith, ammo to test the pistol and return shipping. ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.