Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I disassembled my RFB I noted that the rear frame pins seat, in the left side of the gun, in pin captor bushings that appear to loosely sit in the left grip with nothing more than pin captor washers to hold them in place. While I had it disassembled, the rear pin captor washer fell off and the rear pin captor bushing fell out of the grip. I slid the pin captor back in the grip and slid the washer back over the end of the pin captor to hold it. It looked like the end of the pin captor might be peened out slightly to capture the washer once snapped on. The rear one seemed to be pretty loosely captured but I was loath to make any modifications while this new to the firearm.
After my first test firing of the gun (I like it, BTW) I took it home to clean it. When I went to reassemble it (see my other thread regarding problems with that) I realized the rear pin captor was not in the left grip. It was sitting on the bench. I put it back in the grip but could not find the pin captor washer. I now believe it fell off while I was shooting. The pin captor was retained by the frame pin through the assembly and so it did not fall out until I disassembled the gun.
I'm going to call Kel-Tec and see if I can get a new washer. If so, I will peen the end of the pin captor to help it retain the washer. If not, I think a bit of thread locker will keep it in place and I can fabricate a replacement washer.
Seems like the pin captors should be fixed into the grip a little better, although the rear one is the only one that seems to be loose like this.
Anyone else have any problems with this?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
About a year into mine, the rearmost captive pin stopped being captive. I am pretty sure KT won't just send you the washer for you to peen into place. You will probably be directed to send in your lower so they can re-install a collar as they use a special press to install them into the lower. That is what I had to do...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About a year into mine, the rearmost captive pin stopped being captive. I am pretty sure KT won't just send you the washer for you to peen into place. You will probably be directed to send in your lower so they can re-install a collar as they use a special press to install them into the lower. That is what I had to do...
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid they would want it back but I just got it so I am reluctant to give it up for potentially months (reading from other threads by others that sent theirs in).
Perhaps my RFB was not manufactured correctly, but the two left hand rear Pin Captors (Part #RFB-202L) are very loose. They wobble and spin in their holes and are held in Grip Left (Part #RFB-212) only by the captive force of the Pin Captor Washers (Part #RFB-204) when not held in place by the inserted Frame Pins and the Top Cover Weldment pressing against them, so there's no way they were pressed in. The right hand Pin Captors (Part #RFB-202R) that keep the Frame Pins captive are another matter. They are nice and tight.
I am, of course, making an assumption about the name and number of these parts since 202L, 202R, and 204 are not identified in the parts list drawing in my manual.
Guess we'll see what happens when I get a chance to call Kel Tec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts