picking up #4

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bunky, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    yep i love these little guys.this will be the forth one for me.2-1st gen and 2-2nd gen
    only problems i have had is a lack of ammo but its easier to get now ;)

2. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Are you saying that all four work perfectly???

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Why wouldn't they?

4. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    all have been fluffed and buffed and i do not limp wrist.while i have not shot thousands of rnds,
    these are working like they should.if they didn't i would have bought something else.i always use  remington ammo.all 3. i have not picked up #4 yet

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    ?????????????? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

My P3AT is the only semi-auto I've ever owned that has never experienced any kind of failure not even during break in.

6. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    :-?

Ever owned a Springfield, Taurus or Glock?

Not saying ive had problems with Keltec, But ive got a whole list of semi auto hand guns from the makers above, [Plus ruger, But we wont talk about that. No i have never owned a lcp.] and never had a hiccup out of them during break in.

Now i better go find a spot to hide.

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Naw, I ain't evah heard of non'a dem. ::) ::) ::) Just kidding; I couldn't resist pulling your leg.

No need to go hide. We're all adults here. I have owned a lot of handguns since I bought my first handgun 20 years ago. Rugers jam; I've owned several including an LCP that was just a cheap copy of the P3AT and a 2 P95s over the years that both jammed more than my Kel-Tec PF-9 has ever jammed. (Though I've got to admit that I plan to add an SR40 to my collection the first chance I get. ;D ;D ) My wife had a Sig 239 that was a piece of crap. The only ammo is was reliable with was Gold Dots. She traded it on an XD 40 that she traded on a Walther PPS in 40. I had a Springfield XD 40 that was a great gun I traded a Sigma 40 for. It only jammed once or twice in the 1 1/2 years I owned it but I couldn't conceal it so I traded it on my Walther PPS in 40. Too many jams to count in the first 250 rounds to count on both mine and my wife's PPS but by the time I had 400-500 rounds through mine the jams disappeared completely. My wife's hit reliable at @350 rounds. Neither has jammed since. The Taurus TCP I had had to be replaced with a new one from the factory because even their gunsmiths couldn't make it function. Glock? PLEEEEEEEEZE. ::) ::) ::) Glocks are more susceptible to limpwristing than the PF-9 is. No, I've never owned one and I won't ever. I've known too many buddies that couldn't make the dang things work that I'm not wasting my time on one. Is that fair to Glock? No, it's not but that's just how it is.

So, the long and short of it is, I paid less for my P3AT than any other gun I've ever owned except an old German made single action 22 I carrying in the woods of Bama most of my adult life and the Heritage 22 single action that replaced it. The one thing my P3AT has over all the other semi-autos I've had is that it has NEVER jammed not even during break in. I love my KT P3AT. :cool:

8. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Not trying to stir any thing up with my question but I just bought new factory fresh PT3AT  two weeks ago and have fired 350 rounds without a single malfunction.  Ammo includes hollow points, flat point and FMJ.  Perfect first time,  every time. I have done nothing but field strip, carefully clean with CLP and coat all fiction areas with light coat of lubriplate gun grease.  The little guy is now very slick and it is noticeably easier to chamber a round by racking the slide.  With lightweight shooting gloves is actually fun to shoot and more than accurate enough.

I had been under the impression that Kel Tec was cheaply made from inferior parts. I have discovered first hand that this is not the case.  The company uses good quality materials, good craftsmanship and innovation produce very serviceable little handgun. I was ready to give up on a micro 380 pistol until trying this little Kel Tec.  Apparently my good luck experience is fairly common among Kel Tec 380 owners.

But still what amazes me is how the little micro 380 PT3AT keeps ticking away without missing beat. With the small size and light weight, this is a very useful little pistol. I can see why someone would buy a spare!

9. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    While the PT3AT 380 has been flawless, I have had a little less luck with my PF-9 and even after repair at the factory last week the magazine is dropping down again a 1/4" and the slide dry cycles leaving an empty chamber. I was mixing up ammo and had a 124 gr Gold Dot that had slid forward during the firing and would not allow the magazine to re-seat. When I pushed the 124 gr Gold Dot to the back of the magazine, I was able to re-seat the magazine and chamber the pistol and continue to fire. Does,nt seem to happen with the FMJ 115 gr ammo.

This Magazine catch seems to be a design flaw in this little gun. Other functional aspects of the gun have been perfect!  

10. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I have a number of semi-autos, including a P3AT. The only one that has ever hiccuped was....

are you ready?

A Glock G17. I had a failure to eject on the first round fired. And yes, I'd fieldstripped, cleaned and lubed prior to shooting it.

That Glock now has around 1K rounds through it without a further hiccup.

Go figure.

11. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your guys luck. Ive had no problems out of my P3AT, but also havent with my model 35 glock, my ruger P90, my taurus pt111 or pt1911, nor my xd9.

basically, i personally cant say my keltecs been the only trouble free pistol.