Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my P3AT today and took it to the range this evening after breaking it down and oiling it up. I am used to firing larger caliber weapons, and I was fully expecting to be disappointed. I had been using a 2" S&W stainless .357 for years. It handled well, and had flawless reliability.

However, I had found that the big gun spent more time in my glove box than on my hip. It had a way of catching me in the ribs when I sat down for any length of time. Thus, I wanted something that would be less of a burden to carry and would get fewer ogling looks when I was packing. Enter the Kel Tec P3AT.

I had owned a little Beretta .22 semi-auto when I was when I was in high school, but the damned thing couldn't get through a magazine without having a jam. That was when I went over to the revolver. My S&W 66-1 is a great weapon, but just two heavy and awkward to carry every day.

Well, I got to the range about an hour before they closed and loaded the little P3AT. It was too light in my hand, and just didn't FEEL right. My first mag went off without a hitch and without a convincing hit on the silhouette. There, I knew it. This little thing was a total waste. I might as well just throw it at somebody if they come at me.

I loaded another mag and emptied it one handed, more out of disgust than anything else. When I looked at the target, I did a double take. Five of seven shots were in the sweet spot. The other two were just a hair high and right. Hmm.... maybe it was just a fluke. I settled in to show that target who’s boss.

Two boxes of rounds later, I was looking like the Cheshire Cat after a 1000 canary dinner. The weapon performed admirably, far more accurate than my .357 had ever been at 25 feet. Even the other two guys at the range mentioned how nice the little gun performed for me.

I had about a half a box of .357 shells left over from my last trip, so I figured I would burn those up while I was in the mood. I was astonished at the results. I was all over the place with the .357. It was plain ugly. I had never done so poorly and I just KNEW my sights had to be off. Maybe they were, but the range was closing so I didn't get the chance to check them.

So, in the end I am very pleased with the little P3AT. It performed really well. Out of 100 rounds I only had one failure to eject, and that was when I emptying the clip and loading it as quickly as I could just to test it out. The jam cleared very easily, and I was back to action less than 3 seconds.

Thanks for everyone's comments on the board. I have been lurking here for about a month, and everyone's enthusiasm helped me make the decision on purchasing a Kel Tec. I think I am going to be carrying more often, and I am now convinced that a pocket pistol IN your pocket is much better than a hand cannon in your glove box. Good luck, and good shooting!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Most people that buy a P3AT and have no issues don't come here and tell about it. Now if they do have a problem, look for them to Google up ktog and let us know, bolded in all CAPS.
Thanks for the good review. 8)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
welcome....a good choice for pocket carry...you will be doing the "pat" to see if it is there....try several brands of ammo, to see what functions best for you.....gpr

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
gpr said:
welcome....a good choice for pocket carry...you will be doing the "pat" to see if it is there....try several brands of ammo, to see what functions best for you.....gpr

Oh yes, the "pat". I guess we all experience that ;D After receiving my CCW permit, I made the obligatory "Walmart and nachos" trip, patting my rear pocket the entire time I was in the store.

Jim

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Cool!

First time I shot the P3-AT (actually, the only time, so far!) I seriously couldn't believe it. Either I got lucky, very lucky, or that gun is surprisingly accurate. Maybe all my other guns are junk! ;D It was my father-in-law's gun, and he had just picked it up. He had shot it a bit, mostly around 7 yards, and shot one mag up close, then I moved back to about 15 yards, and landed most of them in the bullseye, which was really weird for me because I'm not a great shot, the gun was just doing the right things. That trigger though...I wasn't used to DAO triggers then, and I pulled on the trigger, got halfway down and panicked...subconsciously thinking, "wait, it hasn't fired yet???!!!". Once I adjusted to it, it was nice.

Overall I'm eager to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great report, I too feel most Kel-Tec owners don't post their positive experiences on this site! Some, like you do however which shows that many K-T products are fine "out of the box" like my P-32 was five years ago. Naysayers just want to bash the product and slip away angrily in anonymity. IMO, some K-T products (mini-pistols in particular) do require the owner/operator thereof to educate himself as to the pistols' peculiarities and idiosyncrasies prior to loading and/or shooting them. ;)

G

·
Guyton! Glad to have you here.

Guyton said:
looking like the Cheshire Cat after a 1000 canary dinner.... The weapon performed admirably... Thanks for everyone's comments on the board. I have been lurking here for about a month, and everyone's enthusiasm helped me make the decision on purchasing a Kel Tec.

I love to hear these kind of stories. Like you..it was this board that convinced me to buy the 3AT.

It took me a while to get mine up and running...but it does make me smile now.

And the 3at is very happy in my back pocket.... my 40 cal gets lonely in my truck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.