Pick up my new P3AT tomorrow...questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Walkers, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Brand new here, added a P3AT to my collection and had a few questions for the masters!
    1. Any tips on first time shooting (regarding the nasty bite this thing gives that I see all over the internet)? I have the mag extension and have ordered a Hogue grip but it won't likely be here before I take it to the range...
    2. Any tips on sight alignment with this small gun or should I just eye up the top of the slide? Again, referring to other internet comments (I know, I know, quit reading those comments! ;D

Really looking forward to this gun, it will fit the bill perfectly as a small conceal carry...that's it!

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Take it apart, clean it, lube it (I prefer CLP). I would go one step beyond field strip and pull out the FP to make sure the channel is clean, this of course depends on your comfort level.

Besides cleaning it's a good idea to be familiar with the take down of the gun *before* it has a problem.

1) the p3at bite ain't all that bad, you may be surpised

2) what sights ?

My P3 goes everywhere my keys go, it's that handy.

3. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    What Bite?
    Walkers, welcome to KTOG! You will love the P3! It is an awesome carry piece. Mine goes everywhere! Even in jeans it's ez to carry. I have a pocket holster, and a wallet holster, so all pants and pockets are covered. Take it to the range and you'll line it up pretty quickly. Let us know how it goes. And the bite is minimal. I didn't notice it after the first mag. Again, welcome.
    tr

4. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    PS,

You mentioned the hype about the P3 bite.
    Like the much maligned High Points, you'll find that most of the people who talk KT's down have never fired one, much less owned one. KT makes a solid proven product in the USA, and stands behind it 100%. I stumbled onto the P3 by accident, and after 2 months of ownership bought a PF-9. One or both are with me always. enjoy, and remember there are no stupid questions...ask anything here and you will get solid answers. We are here for each other.
    tr

5. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    The 3AT has about as much bite as a 2" .22   ::) The only KT that has ever bothered me with recoil was the PF9.  It was on par with my .44 shooting magnums.  Give it a good cleaning and put some rounds through it.  They are pretty much maintenance free other than cleaning (and spring changes if you shoot a lot)

6. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    you will find there is no bite but a gentle lick, like from a puppy..sites ..well put some white appliance paint on front site and just use point method.I`d be suprised if you dont fall in love with it in a week..Mine is with me ALWAYS except when I take a shower...welome to the group..and by the way these guys love answering questions ;)

7. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    If you like to get really involved, take it apart, (easy) polish the ramp and chamber, lightly sand the rails, clean it good with any cleaner/lube, grease the rails, and hammer face and surfaces that rub, then put a couple hundred rds. through it, try different ammo (quality) if you can find it. I don't think mine kicks much, but my wife (small,soon to be great grandma, with arthritis) complains a little after a couple shots, but would shoot it if in a situation. Mine is almost always in my pocket. Jim <><

8. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Gentlemen, thank you for all the feedback! I am very happy to own a Kel-Tec and your comments have put me at ease. I plan on taking it apart after I get home today and cleaning/lubing it up (perhaps even a minor F&B or at least polishing some areas). Heading to the range tomorrow morning, I will report!

Thanks again!

9. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Congrats on the P3AT. Good luck finding much in the way of ammo, though. :'(

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    there ain't much to this little tike, but hang on as well as you can. Awhile back someone posted a few pic's that showed finger placement. If you have your two middle fingers canted slightly up twards your thumb, and really grab that little handle, then use the other hand to counter pivot, it works fine. Welcome to Ktog. And, as always, shoot, clean, lube, repeat. ;D

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard! Good luck with your new P3AT.

Recoil was never a problem for me with the P3AT even before I added grip pads, grip sleeve and mag. extesion. The add-ons have made it even easier and more enjoyable to shoot.

I mostly practice up close point n' shoot stuff with my carry guns. One of my P3ATs has a laser on it that I believe makes for a great practice tool for both live and dry fire.

Take care...

12. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    Try a few different types of JHPs to see what you like. I prefer Corbon DPX since they seem a bit tamer than some (like the DoubleTap 95 gr JHP - OUCH!). This is assuming you can find any JHP ammo ;(

Buy a rubber grip sleeve and the gel pads here, and it will help the comfort, with minimal increase in thickness;
    http://www.ktaddons.com/

This little gun is crying out for a laser - put one on and you will be happy, but you still need to practice point shooting with it turned off. I wish they had just left the top of the slide smooth - the factory sights are a joke.

John Davies
    Spokane WA

13. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I did a very serious F&B on mine and it made a huge difference in racking the slide and shooting. As far as sights, it's a point and shoot proposition. I'm going to paint my front site at some point. Not sure that it will make a difference. It's snappy to shoot but a lot of fun!

14. roll_tide_daniel

roll_tide_daniel New Member

May 25, 2009
    I would also highly recommend a laser of some description. I personally have a CT and love it, but lots of people like the arma laser as well. To me it all boils down to personal preference, but I liked the smaller profile of the CT. Welcome to the board, and enjoy your new little friend! Like the others have said the pads from KTaddons and a Hogue grip will make all the difference in the world when you are at the range!

15. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Walker,
    congrats on your P3. Enjoy your new little friend.
    tr

16. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone, as you can see from my range report I am more than happy with this gun...Now to look for pocket holsters. (as I crank up the forum search tool!)

17. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
  18. trainbrainmike

trainbrainmike New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I think some people are saying "bite", and mean recoil kick...and some are talking about the trigger making the index finger sore.

IF, you have the sore finger problem, as I did, I fixed it by sanding the inner surface of the trigger guard where the mold parting line is, and also the trigger face, and also shortened the trigger just a 'tad'. Maybe an eigth of an inch, then rounded the cut off.

The 'fluff and buff'  posts are very helpful also, and the ramp smooth and polish is very important.

19. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    +1, with a couple exceptions.  First as to the "bite ain't bad"  tell that to my trigger finger.  50 rounds will chew your trigger finger up, I don't care who you are.

As to the sights.  There is a brand of liquid site paint that you dab on with a tootpick http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=714524.  Get the white paint and you will be forever gratefull.

I have a variety of carry pistols and revolvers.  The P3AT is my everyday carry.  It is only when I go someplace extreme or am concernd that I take another more powerful handgun.  It is a light and easy to package carry weapon.

I use a Molly Grease that over time plates the surfaces smooth.   http://www.tsmoly.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=217

As to a pocket holster, I made one for the price of some scrap leather and a little labor. See post #49 http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238982730/49#49 Figure out your patern with paper, then cardboard, then leather, use a small gouge to take out leather where you will sew it. Us an awl for where you are going to do the stitching. Finally wet it down with warm water, place your pistol in a plastic sack and form the wet leather, then let the leather dry and you are done, except for lubing and oiling your P3at after it might have gotten wet.

20. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    The remidy I used for sore trigger finger is adding a little piece of stethascope tube, sprayed a little silicone inside and slid it on waited for a couple hrs, till it had dried, then put a couple drops of super glue, on either end. My finger never gets sore now. Jim <><

[​IMG]