Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Phoenix HP22 questions

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Brian10962001 
#1 ·
I know we've had some past threads about these, including some of my own. I've been on the fence about getting my wife one for some time. She is really wanting a .22 so she can afford to shoot a lot. After looking at a lot of guns together, we've finally settled on the HP22. Should be getting it in the next few weeks. I know we've got some fans on this forum. Any advice for improving reliability- i.e. feedramp polishing, lube procedures, etc? I know with some guns, manufacturer suggested lube procedures and what actually works can be 2 different things sometimes.

#3 ·
my advice is to just lube & shoot. Put several hundred rounds of a few types of bulk pack .22 ammo to see what you have. It may work fine. It may prefer one type of ammo over others, but before you start grinding on things or messing with it, see what you have.

You cannot go wrong putting a bit of lube on any moving part. The worst that happens is it will get extra dirty in some areas, which is easily fixed with a cleaning as you learn where to and where not to apply.

#4 ·
Take the grips of and cut out the redundant (3rd) mag safety, it shoots better without it... I had one until recently with the range kit (5in barrel, 3in barrel, big locking case) and it shot just as well as a ruger mark 3 my buddy has. My 8 year old loved it, so it works great for smaller hands. The only reason its gone now is it went in on trade for a pair of smith and wesson 422s. I concur with the other posters, lube and shoot, should be good to go.

#7 ·
Just clean and shoot. If the mag release becomes a PITA, we'll tell you how to fix/break it, because your warranty will be voided by doing so, unless you install a new latch before sending it in for repairs. But mine has 3k rds thru it with no issues. Never had to ship her home. Nice little gun for the $, but my new Ruger SR 22 gets most of the bullets now :)
Just oil where needed and no more, gun gets dirty fast, but break down is fast and easy to clean.
Hope you like it.

#8 · (Edited)
I love mine. Just clean , lube, then shoot. You can do a mag release mod to make that easier and there is also a last round hold open mod you can do there is a video on youtube of how to do it.

Here is a good video of doing the mag release mod.

[ame]http://youtu.be/WEJaBDuNBkI[/ame]

I have over 2000 rounds through mine and it runs flawlessly on bulk pack Federal Champion from wally world or anything else I feed it. Some of them are picky about ammo so you'll just have to see what works for you. They do recommend regular velocity ammo of 1000-1100 fps ( the fed champion is as close as i could find in the bulk stuff it's 1240 fps so close enough for me and works great ). The recoil spring should be changed out about every 1500-2000 rounds ( free from phoenix arms if you call them lifetime warranty ) if you don't they will cause the frame to crack around the 3500 round mark so I change at about 2000 after all they are free so why not. I love this little gun and am actually thinking about adding another one to my collection.

#9 ·
This KTOG is making me POOR.

Went to my LGS today just to browse, actually looking for something for a friend,(which wasnt there), I been nosing around you guys, talking bout the Phoenix HP22. Been kinda interested , as I been wantin a small .22 semi auto.

My LGS had 5 of them, NIB, OTD (for me) $125.00.

So, while he was busy ,with other customers, I was eyeballin all the knives,(he is a big knive dealer also0, been wanting a mid size pocket carry, my CRKT Pazoda , is just too small.

I couldnt lay it back down, so I put it on the counter with the Phoenix, and ,was walkin out , when I spotted that Crazy lookin Inter Dynamics KG-99 , oh well thats another story(and thread).

Heres what I left with.

Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

When ,if ever, the temps outside get out of the 100s, maybe a report will be forthcoming.

Jim

Attachments

#10 ·
Bear in mind that if you permanently modify/remove any of the safety parts, your lifetime warranty will be null and void. And you WILL need that warranty, because the HP22's zinc-alloy frame is prone to cracking, even with the use of standard or high velocity ammo (hyper-velocity ammo will cause it to crack in short order). If the safety setup is annoying enough to make you want to modify it, you're better off trading it in and getting a different pistol, anyway.

For a pocket-sized .22 LR pistol, a Taurus PT-22 or Beretta Bobcat is a much better choice; if you're strictly wanting a reliable plinker, any steel-framed revolver by Ruger or H&R will last multiple generations and can shoot anything from .22 Short subsonic to .22 LR hyper-velocity and even snake shot without any problems; and if you're set on a semi-auto plinker, a Ruger Mark II or III, Smith & Wesson 22A, or Beretta Neos are all very nice, reliable, durable, and quite reasonably priced (especially used).

I know you've already spent the money on the HP22, but I would seriously consider saving some money and investing it in something a tad better if you intend to put a lot of rounds through it, even if you have no intentions of using it for a self-defense role of any kind. Having owned one myself, I can say wholeheartedly that while the HP22 isn't "junk", it leaves a LOT to be desired, even in its price range; my H&R 622 cost me about $10 less, is more accurate, will shoot ANYTHING that you can chamber in it without so much as a hiccup or burp, and doesn't take three hands to field strip (nor does it have a thin sheetmetal takedown tab that will shred my thumb/fingers every time I take it apart). :)

#11 ·
I just had to at least put a couple mags thru it.

After disassembly , which I might add ,was a piece of cake, push takedown tab forward, lift barrel, slide the slide off, thats it. One of the easier ones I own.

Buffed EVERYTHING, polished feed ramp,cleaned thoroughly,lubed as necessary, went outside at 105 degrees, set a spray paint can at 7 yds, put 10 holes in it , put 10 more holes in it.

Back inside ,smiling a little, cleaned it again, :)

What more could I ask for ,for buck quarter, shoots straight, and functioned flawless.:cool:

My grandkids will enjoy this little gun.

I will never put 1000s of rnds thru it, as I have many .22s to shoot.

Im happy.:D

Jim

#12 ·
The whole "null and void warranty if it's modified" is BS in my experience. The mag safety pops out and can be reinstalled before returning the gun, I've used a dremel to remove the third safety so I can drop the mag without putting the gun on safe and returned my gun to them with 0 issues, new pistol in the mail within a week. I had a broken slide on my HP22 (not HP22A which is what the new model is), mailed it in and had a new slide in 5 days that's properly marked HP22. Not the best little 22's out there, but they cannot be beat for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.