Pheasant hunting - pics added

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mkamer, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Going pheasant hunting on Sunday with my son and a guy from work and his son.  I've never hunted pheasant before but my friend has done it quite a bit.  We will be hunting on a pheasant farm that been in business since the 60's and is open year round.  It probably won't be the thrill of turkey hunting but I think it will still be very enjoyable.  Any advice from some experienced bird hunters?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Pheasant hunting

Yes, take some nice pictures and post them for us here.   :cool:

The only time I've ever shot pheasant was on a bird farm too.  A buddy and I were training a bird dog.  We'd go there and buy a dozen or so quail, then go out in the field and plant them one at a time and work the dog.  Since the birds weren't great fliers, I used a single shot, full-choked 410 to make it a little more sporting.  A couple times when we were there, there had been a large group hunting released pheasants the day before.  The owner would tell us that we could shoot any that we jumped.  Hitting them with that little 410 was fun and challenging.  Usually, you darn near stepped on them when you were doing something else and not expecting it.  It took a moment to recover from being starteled.  BTW, those things are pretty tasty.  Have fun!  

3. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Feb 13, 2011

My Dad usually goes on a pheasant farm hunt once a year. He says it's very predictable, but also very fun since you're pretty much guaranteed to shoot some birds. That is, as long as you can hit them. :)

4. 500

500 New Member

Mar 1, 2011

I always had a great time hunting pheasant.  Early morning hunts are really nice...

If you have an older person in your group or someone who can't walk thru the fields, have them block.

We usually had someone blocking...If everyone was in good walking condition, we would take turns blocking..

(A dog helps... ;).)

It's awesome when a bird jumps up "right in front of you"...nothing like it...!

enjoy....

5. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    We had a great time on our pheasant hunt.  Sure it was just farm hunting but we really enjoyed it.  Our guide was very good and we enjoyed watching his dog work.  Our group of 2 dads and 3 boys took 3 rooster pheasant, 5 hen pheasant, 3 chukar and 1 quail.  Brennan connected on a rooster, a hen and a chukar by himself.  It was a great way to spend time together outdoors and we'll certainly do it again.

So tomorrow nights dinner is bacon wrapped pheasant breast baked with cream of chicken soup and served over rice.  :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    congrats to the bird hunters! :cool:

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
  8. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Congrats on the hunt.

When I first started hunting them about 10 years ago, it took me a box of shells to get the first one on the ground.

I'm pretty sure my dog was starting to wonder why we did all the practice retrieves over the summer time, if I was just going to let them all fly away. :-[ ;D

9. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

May 6, 2008
    Those are some tasty birds. Good job. I love seeing pics of kids enjoying hunting.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Are pheasants realitivly easy to clean? I've never hunted in my life (unless you count being a young boy with a awesome pellet gun and waging unnessessary war with the bluejays..)

My dad never did anything fun with me and I've never learned! Need to find a hunting buddy to have the patience to let me tag along some day

11. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

This is about how my dad and I used to skin them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4gnbR0kyaQ[/ame]

12. ddujnitsud

ddujnitsud New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Well that sure beats the way my Dad taught me. Maybe he just wanted to see me work messy.