Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently moved up to the PF9 for my edc from a P32 which incidentally was also my first handgun (I was one of the 2020 panic buyers joining the firearms community for the first time). The P32 was definitely not easy to learn on as a beginner, but after over 800 rounds later I am a lot more comfortable with the trigger and am now capable of holding 4-inch groups at 7 yards which I'm pretty happy with given my level of experience.

Part of the reason I moved up to the PF9 was expecting the trigger to be somewhat the same as the P32 trigger that I've grown comfortable with, but sadly this hasn't been the case. The P32 I have has a very smooth trigger that doesn't stack at all, while the PF9 has a very noticeable "bump" right at the back of the travel just before it breaks. I'm wondering if any other PF9 owners can confirm that this is normal. I can deal with it, but it definitely was unexpected since to my knowledge the PF9 is just a scaled up P32 and should have a similar operating mechanism.

For the record, both firearms were purchased used, and I'm not sure how many rounds the previous owners put through them but it didn't seem to be too many in both cases. As mentioned I'm >800 through the P32 and >200 through the PF9. I'm just wondering if anyone else can confirm the trigger "wall" with their PF9 or if it should disappear after more dry firing. If it is actually a feature and not a defect with my firearm, I wonder if there are some parts I could polish/smooth out to make it smoother. Yes, I've heard of the mcarbo/Northwood accessories but I'm a little wary of making obvious aftermarket modifications to a carry gun that might be evidence.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You will find that when it comes to triggers, no two are the same, even within the same makes and models. Whichever firearm you choose, you will need to practice with it, or change it to your liking. Firearm modifications are not illegal. If you are justified, it doesn't matter what tool you use or how fancy or efficient it is as long as it is legal to own.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Consider a Twisted Industries .22 conversion unit for practice. The picture on the TI website showing a PF-9 and a dozen boxes of ammo is my PF-9 and the results I had.
But a warning: The slide stop is a stop, not a release. I had to engineer a steel insert for the pot metal slide to keep the slide stop functioning. I posted my mods elsewhere long ago. Also, you may have to shim the TI magazines for proper fit in the PF-9 magazine well. I used a piece of banding strap and JB Weld (plus a little judicious filing and sanding) to precisely fit the magazines in my PF-9. YMMV.
Disclaimer: I have no fiduciary relationship with Twisted Industries or JB Weld.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consider a Twisted Industries .22 conversion unit for practice. The picture on the TI website showing a PF-9 and a dozen boxes of ammo is my PF-9 and the results I had.
But a warning: The slide stop is a stop, not a release. I had to engineer a steel insert for the pot metal slide to keep the slide stop functioning. I posted my mods elsewhere long ago. Also, you may have to shim the TI magazines for proper fit in the PF-9 magazine well. I used a piece of banding strap and JB Weld (plus a little judicious filing and sanding) to precisely fit the magazines in my PF-9. YMMV.
Disclaimer: I have no fiduciary relationship with Twisted Industries or JB Weld.
I saw one of those kits on gunbroker not too long ago for $229 and was really torn about it. Now I wish I had gotten it since it doesn't seem like they are in production anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Too bad. Like so many of the K-T products, the TI conversions aren't perfect, but a little work makes them a great.
Like so many aftermarket KT enhancements, e.g., the RTK triggers, etc., you snooze, you lose.
So stay tuned to the forums and if you sense something is worth it, do it now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts