PF9 vs P11 Barrel installed in a P11

Discussion in 'P-11 & P-40' started by ugrey, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Will a PF9 barrel fit and work in a P11. The look exactly the same except for the feed ramps. The PF9 ramp is maybe a 1/4 inch longer, and therefore a straighter shot for the bullet nose. From pictures it seems that the original PF9s had the same profile barrel as the P11, but after feeding problems discovered early on, they changed to the longer feed ramp barrel. My p11s feed fine on live fire, BUT, sometimes in hand chambering, they hang up on Speer 124 grain hollow points. Anybody own both, and want to swap barrels in your two guns as a little experiment?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You are correct in that the original PF9 used a P11 barrel and eventually had the ramp changed for better feeding. I can't say whether or not a current PF9 barrel would work in a P11 but I would not be concerned about not hand cycling some round, so long as it functions normally when firing.

ugrey likes this.

3. HatRon56

HatRon56 Grand Poobah Supporter

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    PM me for a Pf9 barrel.or look in the trading post

4. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    2barrsb (1).jpg
    The "new" PF9 barrel is on the left, the P11 is on the right. It looks to me like the PF9 barrel would feed better. The hand cycle jams I get is when a round nose dives and it hits the bottom third of the ramp on my P11 barrel, on the right. If the PF9 barrel would fit and function in a P11, it seems that that would be an improvement. Does anybody own a P11 AND a PF9, who can confirm this, or not. I shoot 124 and 115 grain bullets. I never shoot 147 grain bullets. Did KT make this change in barrels for different weight (size, over all length)bullets? Thanks for any replies!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well boys, nobody answered me, so I gambled and bought a slightly used PF9 barrel. It fits my P11 well and it hand cycles MUCH better, no problem at all. I do know hand cycling and live fire are much different. Nothing seems to rub or collide, or cause any problems. I will go shoot it next week and report back. It looks very good so far. This MIGHT be a problem solver for any feeding problems of ANY hollow points.

This might make the P11 even slicker than it already is, or it might be a mistake. I would LOVE to hear from any KT factory personnel on this.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    HatRon56 likes this.
  6. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    How do the rest of the barrel measurements compare? ( Are they nearly the same?)

7. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I have not gotten my calipers out yet, but all the measurements seem the same, other than the feed ramp being slightly longer as the pictures show. It all fits exactly to my feel, and eye.

8. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well boys, I finally fired my P11 with a PF9 barrel installed in it today. It worked 100 percent! I put about 75, 115 grain Blazer Brass ball, rounds through the pistol today without a single problem. I had about 25 rounds of Speer 124 grain +p that I forgot to take. I do know there is a difference between ball and hollow point. I used a KT 12 round magazine and 2 S&W 15 round magazines. The slightly longer feed ramp of the PF9 barrel put VERY small dents it the S&W followers, but caused no other problems at all. If you are having feed problems with your P11, this MAY be a fix. In a week or so I will go back out with the Speer ammo and I will report back. To review, I have bought and tried the PF9 barrel in my P11 because hand cycling the first round was an iffy operation. The Speer ammo sometimes jammed on the P11 barrel short feed ramp. The PF9 barrel hand cycles the Speer, and everything else, as smooth a silk.

HatRon56 likes this.
  9. HatRon56

HatRon56 Grand Poobah Supporter

May 25, 2007
    Hampton Roads,VA
    Great news.....Thanks for the answer if a Pf9 barrel will work in a P-11.

10. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Neat ... but really, if you're having feed problems with a P11, I'd sooner contact Kel-Tec and have them fix it. It's been my experience that P11's generally aren't very picky when it comes to ammo, and they've been around for a couple of decades. If there was a common enough bug, Kel-Tec surely would have done exactly what you did by swapping in a PF9 barrel - lower production cost by using an existing part, rather than modifying an existing one or R&D'ing a new one.

Nevertheless ... good info. Maybe if they stop production of the P11 at some point, but the PF9 still happens to be in production, and if your original P11 barrel is shot out or otherwise damaged, then at least you can still score a new/replacement barrel that will drop in. :)

11. ugrey

ugrey Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I own a Sig 229, 7 third generation S&W 9mms, and a Kahr CM9. They are all as smooth as silk. I own 3 KT p11s, the oldest is 18 years old. I have fluffed and buffed all three with special attention to polishing the feed ramps. I have had maybe 5 or 6 jams, or feeding problems while shooting in all that time with the 3 KTs. BUT, the P11s would sometimes jam when hand cycling/loading the first round. I just got tired of that. The problem seemed to be the short, almost 90 degree part of the feed ramp. I looked at the PF9 barrels and I thought I saw a fix. I have been surprised nobody else seemed to have tried swapping barrels before. I thought you guys would be interested in what I have learned. I will report back as I put more rounds through my P11 with the PF9 barrel.

12. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    FWIW, the only times I recall having had issues with the P11's that I've owned, it has been with the 12-round mags. I only had one 15-round S&W 59-Series magazine that I used in one (a Mec-Gar, with the sleeve adapter), and it worked fine, but I'm not sure how well other brands of that size work in terms of reliability. I do know the 10-round Mec-Gar mags have a pretty solid reputation for being reliable, although some rattle a bit when fully loaded (doesn't affect function, though). If you still have troubles after the PF9 barrel swap, I'd look into maybe just changing magazines and see how it behaves with a factory 10-round Mec-Gar mag.

ugrey likes this.