Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading so many threads of people adding so many items to the grip like the Hogue Jr, etc. to make it easier to hold, etc. I was thinking has anyone done or thought of taping up and spraying the PF9 grip with the truck bedliner spray that is like rubber pebbles ??? Not the whole grip assembly but just the handle area. Just my thoughts. God Bless :)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Interesting. I've used the Duplicolor bedliner in the past and I wouldn't use that brand for your idea. It's more of a heavy paint that has some texture but I think it would be kinda slick for a PF9 grip.
Brownells sells a product called "Spray grit" that might be an idea too. I picked up a can to try on my AR mags but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll get off my arse and spray one tomorrow.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1140/Product/SPRAY-GRIT

Edit: Traction grips are a nice way to get some extra grip. There should be a thread in the trading post for them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I've used the Duplicolor bedliner in the past and I wouldn't use that brand for your idea. It's more of a heavy paint that has some texture but I think it would be kinda slick for a PF9 grip.
Brownells sells a product called "Spray grit" that might be an idea too. I picked up a can to try on my AR mags but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll get off my arse and spray one tomorrow.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1140/Product/SPRAY-GRIT

Edit: Traction grips are a nice way to get some extra grip. There should be a thread in the trading post for them.

Thanks for the idea on traction grips. I already have one on my PF9, and it fits and works fine, but oneday it will eventually come off. The traction grips are the ones that actually gave me the idea of using the sprayon in a can bed liner as it seems to feel similar. I want to try it, but Keltec is currently out of the PF9 grips and I would like to try it out but have a spare handy, *just in case* :D Keep us updated if you try it on your AR Magazines. God Bless :)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Here are a couple of pics, I sprayed one AR mag with the spray grit today. It seems like pretty good stuff but I haven't really touched it much because they say to give it 24hrs. There really is quite a bit of pressure from this can, more that normal paint. That's my excuse for the over spray anyway ;)

Here is a iron weight that I sprayed with Duplicolor bed liner, I don't really remember why. I think it was just one coat but it gives you some idea. This is the only brand I know of that comes in an aerosol can. It feels pretty slick to me and I think it would make your grip worse when compared to the stock PF9.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll look into this idea more. I happen to do Line-X spray in bedliners. The biggest problem I know of is straight Line-X won't stick to plastic. They do make a primer for it that I might try.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Rustoleum makes an aerosol bedliner spray that is a LOT better than the Duplicolor brand crap. I have a fair bit of experience with having used both on vehicles and the Duplicolor brand spray (AND the roll-on stuff) is CRAP.

I wouldn't use it to spray on plastic, though. Won't bond very well. Really, there isn't much of anything that will stick to plastic very well that will offer any kind of long-term durability, especially in a concealed-carry application. I would just stick with either slip-on grips like the Hogue Handall Jr. or Limbsaver, or adhesive stick-on grip things like Talon Grips or Traction Grips - if and when they wear out, putting on a new one isn't a big deal at all.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
That spray grit claims it will stick to most metals and plastic but I've only done the one mag and haven't really tested it. It does say that it should be reapplied every 3-6 months so I really don't know if it will be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I must confess that I have been seriously considering spraying the SLIDE of my P11 with that Rustoleum bedliner, though... :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So has anyone else tried this on any of their guns or the Keltec PF9 grip ??? Please let us know. God Bless :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used bed liner spray on a shotgun stock once. I didn't like it. Wound up scraping and sanding it off. It did flake some prior to me removing it.

I am getting ready to do some mods on one of the PF9's I bought recently. Stippling will be one of the mods I am going to do. I stippled the front and back straps on my P40, it really helped the control of it.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Funny, I used Rustoleum bedliner spray on the stock of "Zed" (my JC Higgins 583.16 bolt-action 12-gauge) a couple of weeks ago. Feels great, much better than the gloss black that I had on there. I didn't put it on very heavy, just enough to give it color and a little texture, sprayed it from a fair enough distance that it wouldn't pool up or anything. Shouldn't even be enough on there really to even begin to flake.

But still ... wood and plastic are two totally different things. I still wouldn't recommend it on a PF9 grip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used bed liner spray on a shotgun stock once. I didn't like it. Wound up scraping and sanding it off. It did flake some prior to me removing it.

I am getting ready to do some mods on one of the PF9's I bought recently. Stippling will be one of the mods I am going to do. I stippled the front and back straps on my P40, it really helped the control of it.
Did you ever get around to stippling the grip on your PF-9? I would like to see the pics of how it turned out.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Spray on bedliner would be to thick for a gun grip or handle. There are other spray can types of products as mentioned but these will all be permanent and if it does not come out as you expected then your only alternative is to buy a replacement grip handle. $34.00 plus shipping

I suppose it comes down to how it looks. If you did spray something on to get a certain look then more power to you. if you just want improved grip then the grip tape or hogue style sleeve will accomplish this.

Bob

###

1 - 15 of 15 Posts