Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

What do you think about changing to the PF9 fulltime?

• Great decision

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Absolutely yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Genius, really

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Definitely a better choice

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold my P32 and I'm PF9 fulltime now. I've been torn about making the change, adding the extra weight, but having a more powerful round. Took a deep breath and just did it. Wish I could find a thumb-release retention OWB holster, but for now I'll just use a Fobus Paddle and keep it covered up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been carrying my PF9 either as my primary CCW or a back up in a pocket holster to my 45 since I bought it shortly after they first came out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had my PF9 for so long I have forgotten when I bought it.
Since I did a fluff and buff, I have never had a failure of any type. I use it as my daily carry, and I also have used it for the last 8 years to qualify for my HR.218 CCW permit. The HR.218 qualification course requires 50 rounds and is the same that the LEO'S have to pass in Wisconsin.
I see no reason at all why you could not use if for a daily carry weapon.
Jim

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's like carrying a very lightweight 8 round skinny revolver. Very convenient.
This is one of, if not the best Kel-Tec reviews I have seen. Very interesting reading.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is one of, if not the best Kel-Tec reviews I have seen. Very interesting reading.
I'm sorry I have to comment. Interesting review, yes. Impressive, no.

The author, while having "experience", doesn't appear to have learned much from it. He eschews "accuracy" and "group size", although in fact all the PF9s I've shot have been quite accurate. Although claiming not be an "self-defense expert", he the drones on insufferably about his theories of self-defense, ballistics and concealed firearms. On nearly every point, he contradicts himself within his own review. I'm also calling BS on him firing 4000 rounds of "full-house .44mag" [sic] out of a S&W Scandium 329PD.

His PF9, within 800 rounds, broke the takedown pin, and the slide developed an incipient crack at the slide stop notch (he's gonna "keep an eye on it"). :oops: Yet he considers this gun reliable for self-defense and the best thing since sliced white bread, while offering various criticisms of the Glock 43 and S&W Shield. Based on my experience, I will bet my bottom dollar the latter two guns are not likely to be breaking ANY parts, for thousands and thousands of rounds.

Having shot, at last count, just over 3000 rounds over the past 15 years through several PF9s... IMHO the gun is light duty. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it a limited choice. I understand this is a fan site, but that shouldn't color realism. There are more durable guns for regular carry and especially practice. If you're not going to shoot it much, you're good.

The PF9 is an extremely lightweight pistol firing a high-pressure round, and that generates sharp recoil. There's only so much durability you can build into a pistol like that. It's .380-level of construction firing a 9x19mm. So there are compromises. Parts break, and I don't believe there's any schedule of preventive maintenance to avoid it.

The PF9 firing pin is prone to breakage from dry-firing... that alone precludes it use as a practical gun for sustained practice, dry-firing being an important thing in any pistol but especially one that has sharp recoil. I haven't had any slide failures, but I'm not surprised as honestly the consistency of Kel-Tec parts seems to vary. The design of the trigger axis pin is a weak link, and I had one break, and replaced another when I observed an incipient crack in it. The recoil springs weight is rather stiff for good reason - they are inexpensive and should be replaced after 1000 rounds or the frame and all the other parts are going to take a undue beating.

I like the PF9 and use mine when I'm traveling and can only bring one gun, and need something that will go everywhere, be light and unobtrusive, and be able to find ammo almost everywhere if need be (current ammo shortage notwithstanding). I shoot 50 rounds a couple times a year to remain familiar with it. I don't use or carry +P ammo in it for any reason whatsoever. It's a unique pistol, there's nothing quite like it. But it's a niche choice.

YMMV

PS. A good contrast to the PF9 is the P32, which is not under-built and seems to last forever. However, it does share the same trigger axis pin design. Something to "keep an eye on". :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am only interested in a pocket carry 9mm, not a range blaster (of which I own several). I will not buy a phantom .380 or .32 because of the availability of the rounds. So this is an excellent review for my purposes and I feel like for a growing group's purpose. I wouldn't need to put thousands of rounds through a light weight special purpose handgun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts